Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2006, 03:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

WHAT PERFORMANCE CAMS ON OHC Vtec??

I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience on upgrading cams on an OHC Vtec. All of us undertsand that cars with variable valve timing technology have hydraulics that activate the secondary, half cam lobes which is controllable using a vtec controller however which cam on OHC vtec would suit a street/semi sport use is my question.

Let me put it in points for my easy of procuring this information;
1) What is the Indian OHC vtecs original cam profile? Pls back your claim(Company car engine specification sheet, case studies, records etc)
2) Which cam profile would be best for street and entry level sport use? Which manufacturer?
3) Any first hand experience information?
4) Effects and drawbacks.
5) Gains.

Last edited by The Wolf : 2nd August 2006 at 03:59.
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wolf

Ask Psycho, he has all the key facts and research
Old 2nd August 2006, 20:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Wolf

Ask Psycho, he has all the key facts and research
Thanks for the lead Ajmat...As per my understanding even Psycho hasnt really had an opportunity to work on this one...morover I want someone to come up and share it on the forum for everyones perusal.
Old 2nd August 2006, 21:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Thanks for the lead Ajmat...As per my understanding even Psycho hasnt really had an opportunity to work on this one...morover I want someone to come up and share it on the forum for everyones perusal.
Interesting to one point as I do know you got the headers made means you / your tuner has the base cam degrees else they would not be able to calculate the headers. Hence you just need to know how much wilder you want to go the cam profiles and the additional lift you need based on the compression ratios and the RPM range you want to play with.

I might not have worked on one (coz one needs someone who has a car and is wanting to mod it) but have all the info I need to do one up for quite some time now.

PS: as an afterthought as of now Raj / Leela are the only ones to have pushed a VTEC enough to warrant a different cam as I think that the car has great potential just with the cams it has. Hence I do not think there would be too many who will be willing to share the info. Other than that there is always Google for you.

Last edited by Psycho : 2nd August 2006 at 21:17.
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Havent heard of anyone who has done it but you can try the usual suspects when it comes to Honda tuning.
  • Mugen
  • HKS
  • Spoon
  • Piper/crower/comp
Plus anything designed for the 92 - 97 Civic with the D15 should be able to work. There is also a D series forum you can refer to.
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Interesting to one point as I do know you got the headers made means you / your tuner has the base cam degrees else they would not be able to calculate the headers. Hence you just need to know how much wilder you want to go the cam profiles and the additional lift you need based on the compression ratios and the RPM range you want to play with.

I might not have worked on one (coz one needs someone who has a car and is wanting to mod it) but have all the info I need to do one up for quite some time now.

PS: as an afterthought as of now Raj / Leela are the only ones to have pushed a VTEC enough to warrant a different cam as I think that the car has great potential just with the cams it has. Hence I do not think there would be too many who will be willing to share the info. Other than that there is always Google for you.
Thanks for the inf Psycho...I know that down south these are the only 2 guys who have worked extensively on OHCvtecs but I was expecting some replies from up north to evaluate howmuch they have evolved in the same context. Not that Im gonna conclude that they havent if I get no replies but just wanted to have something for future modders...

Morover, I have my bit of knowledge on the same, just wanted to get some more opinions, thats it.

Most Viewed