Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

A. When do we feel the need for more power?
Q. When we are no longer satisfied with what we have.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd August 2006, 21:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
What i was looking for is a more technical aspect to it .. Say like , i have a stage 2 engine .. Now i want to go turbo .. What factors should one consider to figure out that NOW is the time for an upgrade ..
Strictly technically speaking; There's no way to know when. You can go from factory spec. to stage 3 blueprinting without hesitation. Got the money, go ahead. Simple, na...

There's no "running in period" for competition-spec engines 'on the road', other than on the dyno while logging in the test runs, etc. We can boost an engine with ball bearing scroll turbos, go straight to titanium valve springs and graphite-coated internals, machined minimal friction bearings, etc. at the drop of a hat. However, it's better to do all that in a BRAND NEW engine as opposed to a 100,000 km run engine, because of heat-transfer characteristics and structural/thermal rigidity of the block.

Sure, there are other deep technical factors that I'm probably not aware of which include thermodynamic and mechanical aspects, etc., but these are the first things that come to mind...
Old 4th August 2006, 10:57   #33
BHPian

"With great power comes great responsibility"
Old 4th August 2006, 11:20   #34
BHPian

Why does one feel the need for more power simply put becuase one is bored of the current power in their car.
Old 4th August 2006, 11:55   #35
BANNED

need for more power....
its simple desires are insatiable
Old 5th August 2006, 13:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Next time your dad's friends ask you the question, find out what they do and ask them why they are trying to climb the corporate ladder or outsmart their competitor in business (if none of them is doing that, its best to ignore them and move on .

Corporate world or business world is their playground and yours is different but everyone has the same desire, power.
Old 5th August 2006, 15:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Its like a personal choice. For some people its a vehicle is just to get from one place to another, and for some its a lot lot more than that... This is just like why do u buy a Ferrari or a Lambo to drive in India when the chances u'll get of really pushing her come like once in a million.

About the money factor, some people invest in cars, some in business and so on... Its not necessary that only people with excess cash do mods. Just notice the number of modded bikes out there. Its basically for that adreline rush, which makes u feel
Old 7th August 2006, 06:01   #38
BHPian

If asked the same question, I would have just said point blank - "Sir, If you dont' realise how redundent the question is, then God save you"

If "Ignorance is bliss" then why do we strive so hard to find answers to every question that might pop in our heads?

More is never enough, thats the human mindset. It is not confined by logic. Can't understand why you so perplexed with their line of questioning dude. You like it you do it. You do not have to explain yourself to people who would not seem interested in the mod jobs that you do.

Everyone has one aspect in their lives, where their actions defy logic to someone else who does not share the same mind set. When someone asks me the same questions I just smirk and let them know that when they are ready to understand, they will. Until then don't bother asking. Now
Old 7th August 2006, 08:21   #39
BHPian

Its in our DNA Man!! Cars extend and reflect our personality. We need best of the best. We have lot of energy coming out. Its just one of the way to chanelise it.
Being young itself prove it. I remember when I was 14-15 my teacher wrote on black board S*X and asked all of us what is the first thing that came to our mind when we hear the word? (Surprisingly I saw same exercise in one of BBC’s documentary..2-3 years back)…..Some said pregnancy some said disease some said postures, enjoyment, fear etc..etc...when all of us were done with it our teacher wrote another word on blackboard ...it was LOVE...and we all were surprised why did that word not come to our mind....U know why ...because of biological changes taking place at that point of time...
...So if Somebody twice an age of ours ask something that we are enjoying (I am talking general scenario Exceptions are always there)...its basically that they can NEVER understand what joy and pleasure we get out of adding extras and improving our cars....Its a fact that when we grow old… ppl at half our age will be doing some amazing stuff may be they will play with rockets those days....and we will not even have a clue what JOY it gives to them...Its a part of total package designed for us to live our life…So Chill !!!

Most Viewed