Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2014, 00:36   #1
BHPian

Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!

Hi Gurus,

Faced a strange problem with my i20 yesterday. As I was getting the car out of the parking lot in my society, I heard a loud "thud". Initially I thought I might have driven over some drainage cover behind the parking lot, but as I got the car completely out of the parking lot, I saw a strange object lying right beneath where my car was parked. Closer inspection revealed it to be some sort of pulley, about 6 inches in diameter, along with the bolt. No doubt it had fallen from the car as it had the Hyundai logo inscribed on it, and was in fact the cause of the sound.

Though I cannot recollect the exact part number, it had something like "D4" and "202" marked on the pulley. I assume this might be the part number. Anyway I called up the Hyundai service centre and explained the situation as well the part number on the pulley. As per them, they suspect the timing belt pulley has broken and advised me not to drive the car at all. They promptly sent for a towing van today morning and towed the car to the service center.

Current State: I should be hearing from the service center tomorrow morning as to what exactly is the issue, and how much poorer would it make me. As bad luck would have it, I completed 2 years of warranty period just 15 days back, and now stand devoid of the warranty benefits. Also I tried searching on Google, and it seems the broken part is actually a crankshaft pulley (though I may be wrong). I have uploaded an image which I took from Google, and the part seems exactly the same.

Frankly I am a bit worried as to how can a car just 2 years old get a broken pulley all of a sudden. Has any of you members ever faced such a similar problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!-pulley.jpg  

Ikonification is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 17:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!

Seems like the water pump/alternator belt pulley that has come off. Quite strange since it should have nut as well as keys to lock in place.

Was the engine running after you heard the sound? And did the battery light come 'On'?
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dear Ikonification, dont worry, you are not the first one to experience this problem. I have heard 2 other similar cases with i20 in the past one year. Certainly seems like a major problem with part compliance. You should have this covered under your warranty, isnt it?
The Wolf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 17:29   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wow this is totally weird indeed!

Is it that all these blessed manufacturers are using one set of quality standards for India and another set for their exports?

This certainly gives a new dimension to the term "built to a cost".

Im a little worried now, since we bought an I20 ten months ago, for my Dad and I hope such things do not happen to that car!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 13:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonification View Post
they suspect the timing belt pulley has broken
I don't think so. Engine cannot run once the timing belt pulley falls out.
From the reference snap of pulley that you posted, it is poly V-belt which is used to drive Water pump + Alternator.

Timing belts will be toothed (like the below snap)
Name:  timing_belt_pulley.gif
Views: 23231
Size:  19.9 KB

Don't worry much, this shouldn't cause a major damage to engine or leave a big hole in your pocket.

PS: have you noticed engine malfunction indication on the cluster?
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 14:13   #6
BANNED

Quote:

Faced a strange problem with my i20 yesterday. As I was getting the car out of the parking lot in my society, I heard a loud "thud". I have uploaded an image which I took from Google, and the part seems exactly the same.
Why didn't you click the picture of the pulley that was fallen on the ground rather than searching on Google? If you can, do click a picture please!

I don't think it is a crankshaft pulley as the engine cannot run if it falls.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

It's not a cranshaft pulley. More likely it's one of the V belt pulley system that drives the compressor clutch, water pump, alternator.
Very fact that you drove away from the parking spot signifies that it's got nothing to do with the timing belt.

But one things for sure. I can't figure out what's Hyundai up to these days?
For a pulley to fall out , is really odd. I mean the thing's held together by retaining nuts and allen keys. Both of high grade tensile steel. Or so I thought!

On the other hand, before I join the bandwagon and start blaming Hyundai for poor manufacturing practice, can you confirm that everything under the hood is stock?
joybhowmik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 15:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess its the V belt pulley that broke off. Where did the belt go but? I don't think its an expensive fix and is rather simple, compared to a timing belt pulley. Did the pulley break out its shaft due to corrosion? Since your location shows Mumbai, I think this is the reason. The tension in the belt plus corrosion must have weakened the pulley. Quite a random thing since I have only heard of the V belt snapping.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 15:24   #9
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is a worrying thing, a pulley is just not supposed to fall off like that! {Unless of course, there was external damage of some kind (like a stone hit) which is a bit difficult to fathom given its location, or negligence on the the part of mechanics who worked on your car, or corrosion as mentioned by audioholic.}

You haven't mentioned the engine on your car - whether it is a 1.2 Kappa or 1.4 Gamma (both petrol) or 1.4 U2 (diesel). Never mind, I guess it is a 1.2 Kappa petrol - as this seems to be the pulley in question, according to the image you have posted:

Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!-image.jpg

Quote:
As per them, they suspect the timing belt pulley has broken and advised me not to drive the car at all. They promptly sent for a towing van today morning and towed the car to the service center.
It's very good that you got the car towed, instead of driving it. That was solid advice on their part, for it's better to be safe than sorry!

I believe both the 1.2 Kappa petrol and 1.4 U2 diesel engines on the i20 are equipped with a timing chain, instead of a timing belt. I'm not sure about the 1.4 Gamma petrol though.

Edit: Please share the year (& if possible month) of manufacture of your car. I may have to keep an eye on that pulley in the i20.

Last edited by RSR : 19th October 2014 at 15:50.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 17:07   #10
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Never mind, I guess it is a 1.2 Kappa petrol - as this seems to be the pulley in question, according to the image you have posted
My guess about your car's engine has a 50% chance of turning out to be inaccurate, as the 1.4 U2 diesel also seems to have a very similar crankshaft pulley, albeit with a different belt.

It's the 1.4 Gamma petrol (also a chain-cam engine, by the way) which has a noticeably different crankshaft pulley, when compared to the other two.

Last edited by RSR : 19th October 2014 at 17:15.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 17:35   #11
BHPian

There would be no damage to the engine as the oil pump is integral with the engine. The pulley that fell off is most likely fitted on the crankshaft to drive the alternator, a/c compressor, etc. Alternatively, it could be an idler pulley.

The repair should be quick, however, you should check & ensure that the locking mechanism for the pulley is fitted properly & does not come loose. Please ask the Srrvice Advisor to show you the locking & take a picture for records.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 17:49   #12
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for your response. Mine is a Sep 2012 model - Sportz (1.2 Petrol). I bought it in Mumbai (since all my documents are under my Mumbai address), but I have been staying in Pune since last 2.5 years; the car has been under Pune climate altogether so I don't think corrosion could be a factor.

Yeah I should have taken a picture of the pulley when it fell off but in that panicky moment it just didn't register in my brain. The battery indicator was continuously glowing ever since the pulley fell off - if this factor can give you guys any indication.

On my way now to the service centre to collect the car, will keep you guys posted on what explanation the Hyundai guys give me.

@joybhowmik - yes everything is stock. Haven't done any modification whatsoever on my baby

Last edited by manson : 19th October 2014 at 20:50.
Ikonification is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 19:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I would be really interested to understand how this could have happened in the first place. As I gather from other posts, it is not the first time this happened. So check/demand some sensible explanation and subsequent actions that would prevent this from happening again.

To me, it almost sounds like as design error.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 18:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!

Quote:

On my way now to the service centre to collect the car, will keep you guys posted on what explanation the Hyundai guys give me.

y
Did you get the car back? what was it that fell off the car? How much did it cost? Did they not provide a free service considering that the warranty was over only 15 days ago?
Old 20th October 2014, 18:40   #15
BHPian

Re: Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!

Falling a part from a car is bad.
Falling a part from the Engine compartment of a car is even worse.
Falling a part from the Engine compartment of an expensive and premium hatch from Hyundai is PATHETIC :(

Let's not talk about corrosion please - one of the least likely factors to cause this damage.
Personally for me - it sounds most likely the bolt on tread patterns tightens IN THE DIRECTION of part's movement - usually it is the other way. If yes, then Design Issue.
Reason - The pulley is coupled to another moving part. Now if either of these moving parts face any resistance, the other one gets external force through the connecting media (belt). This is one of the cases why a locking mechanism is used.
In this case, neither it seems that a cut/split washer is used, in order to ensure extra pressure on the bolt against getting loosened.
Either case, too bad to happen in a modern, expensive car :(
Zinda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks