Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2006, 11:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

My wife's sail has a sun film and the defroster works fine. The sun film is not twisted etc...
Old 11th March 2008, 17:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

If the whole defogger is not working then it could be a cut connection in the main supply.If it was cut in between only that stripe wont work as it is a parallel connection for each stripe.So check for a cut in the main conections or it can be a blown fuse too.
ram
Old 11th March 2008, 17:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Both my trucks have defoggers and also the film. Maybe, since they were installed properly, the defoggers are working still. And no, the films have not crumpled with the use of the defoggers.

The sun-film that I used was that from Llummar that came with a steel coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat View Post
Yogi....I think this would happen defnitely. In fact thinking about it, it is not a good idea to put film on the rear window at all if there is a defogger.

1. If the film is applied properly, and the defogger is still working, then the film heats up and wrinkles up leaving it messy and useless.
2. If the film is not fixed properly, the defogger is gone for a toss.

What do the resident guru's opine?

Venkat
Old 19th March 2008, 22:49   #19
BHPian

Have rear defogger on my astra and tints as well.
The defogger still works perfectly (after 10 yrs of use!!!) and does not affect the tints at all or vice versa.
Old 20th March 2008, 08:59   #20
BHPian

I guess venkat would have found a solution by now. Anyways, I have sunfilm in my Optra and my Accent and the rear defogger works fine as usual...
Old 20th March 2008, 10:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yeah! its almost 2 years since ram replied and opened up this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
I guess venkat would have found a solution by now. Anyways, I have sunfilm in my Optra and my Accent and the rear defogger works fine as usual...
Old 26th January 2009, 19:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think i might have fallen victim ( to be honest, how does a rear defogger work in the first place?) . should have thought this was gonna happen when the installer dude started scraping around with a blade on the inside of the rear windscreen
I've never had to use it.

how does one test it ? I turned the AC on full blast for a while , the glass was still cold. tried blowing onto the rear windscreen from ouside , the consdensation occcured , stayed for a while and evaporated.

how does one use of of these ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th January 2009 at 19:30.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think i might have fallen victim ( to be honest, how does a rear defogger work in the first place?) . should have thought this was gonna happen when the installer dude started scraping around with a blade on the inside of the rear windscreen

how does one test it ? I turned the AC on full blast for a while , the glass was still cold. tried blowing onto the rear windscreen from ouside , the consdensation occcured , stayed for a while and evaporated.

The defogger works by mildly heating the windshield glass and evaporating the condensation. There will be a separate switch for the rear defogger. It is a separate control from the A/C switch. Check your owners manual. Once switched on, you should be able to feel the glass becoming warm to the touch. Best tested at night when the temps are cool.

Always wipe the glass horizontally across the heater traces. Never vertically.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Old 26th January 2009, 19:57   #24
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Consider a typical monsoon day in Bombay, when the relative humidity is peaking. Let's say, you have two or more people in your car. Their breath would condense on the cold glasses of the car.
Now you switch on your backlight demister, the heating wires warm the glass and you instantly see the condensation clear, first around the wires -- then a growing clear patch, until you see quite clearly.
Voila! That's all there is to it.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

ah ok. will have to stick around to test then.

just curious , how much should i expect a rear glass inclusive of defogger to cost ?
Old 26th January 2009, 20:21   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ah ok. will have to stick around to test then.

just curious , how much should i expect a rear glass inclusive of defogger to cost ?
Rear windshields arent as expensive as front windshields. The front WS is laminated and rear (along with side/door windows) is tempered glass. Makes all the difference in cost. Try asking Windshield Experts in your town.

Rgds
Old 6th October 2009, 17:43   #27
BHPian

Your average rear window defroster is just a simple electric heating grid. The lines are made of a mixture of metal and some sort of adhesive or resin to bond it to the window. It works just like any other electric heater. An electric current is passed through the grid, and the electrical resistance creates heat. It normally doesn't feel warm, because it doesn't have to get very warm to do it's job. To melt ice or snow, it only needs to warm the window to a temperature just above freezing (32 degrees F). That will still feel pretty cold to the touch, but it's warm enough to do its job. Most defrosters are made to switch off long before they start to get warm. If they got too warm, it would require extra (and unnecessary) power from the car, and it would also have the potential of cracking the glass from such a rapid change in temperature.

Courtesy : Re: How does the rear defogger in a car work

That answers the question that why the Sun-films on the real window are not affected when it heats up.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently found the answer to this question. The glass with demister cost about 2k.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:18   #29
BHPian

Punto- sunfilm and defogger, alright ?

sorry, I couldn't think of a better title, I received the following email from fiat, it seems that I can't use a sunfilm on the front/rear windscreen, is this information correct ?
Please proivde your inputs.

"Thanks for contacting FIAT India. We are in receipt of your mail
As per your query, your old Punto cannot be tuned to BS IV standard. We don’t recommend you to put sun film on the rear defogger(??) as it may catch short circuit and you then needs to replace your glass. Please follow the owner’s handbook."
Old 17th April 2010, 20:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

U can surely install sunfilm on the front windscreen. Rejects UV rays and helps in a cooler cabin.

About the rear windscreen with defogger, its generally not advisable sun films as sometimes it may damage the defogger. But there are people who have installed sunfilms on the rear windshield without any problems.

Most Viewed