Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2006, 22:23   #1
BHPian

98 ZEN starter not working

Gang,
I have a 98 Zen , was working perfectly fine till today morning.Right now, it is just not cranking.The ignition lights come up, I turn the Key more, but no luck..no cranking noise, not even the tuk tuk noise that normally comes when the starter is stuck.

I have checked the following, was wondering if any DIY tips are there before calling the service station

1)Battery is fine, the headlights are bright and they dont go low when I turn the key.All electricals are working, so I dont think its a battery problem.
2)I checked the main fuses in the bonnet bay, the 40A one looks fine, but the 60A one, I am unable to make out..are there any tell tale signs.?
3)Push starting the vehicle starts it just fine..
4)No evidence of rats eating off the wire anywhere.
5)I havent checked the fuse box under the dash, will do it in the morning..anything specific to look for there?

Any help is appreciated.

Raghu
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:17   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well , unless u have a central locking system with an engine immobolizer .. Which means u cant start it by pushing either ?? Weird .. Could it be a case of a loose contact on the battery terminals ?? Or improper earthing ??
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Has happened to me once n in my case the central locking system was the culprit??? If u can, disable it n check....
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:49   #4
BHPian

Hope your fuel pump is working fine buddy
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:56   #5
BHPian

Chk the ignition solenoid....see if you get a tick sound when you turn the ignition from start to run position.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:09   #6
BHPian

Happens on my Esteem once in a while (usually if I give some girl inside the car more attention than her, but that's another story ) ...

I described the problem to my neighbourhood mechanic and he showed me another car with a similar problem... there is this cup shaped and sized relay that pushes a 1/4" thick bar across big metal terminals when you turn your key to the "Start" position... it is responsible for feeding the starter motor it's huge current requirements. That much current can't be sent thru the puny ignition switch. With age, the bar and the terminals wear off and eventually, the bar can't make proper contact with the terminals... You may be able to squeeze some more life out the relay by getting it cleaned and lubricated, but it will eventually fail completely. Should also mention: It is quite expensive to replace! (Experts on the forum, please enlighten us with the technical name and approx. price for this "Cup-a-relay" thingie!)

When you twist the key to the "Start" position, do any of the lights in the dash etc. dim slightly?

If they don't then that relay is probably the culprit... if they do, then the problem is elsewhere... possibly loose battery contacts, low battery charge or if you are really unlucky, a jammed starter motor.

- T u r b o C -
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:15   #7
BHPian

Its working now:-)

Thanks everyone for the tips..actually the battery seems to have gone low.I push started it and drove the car for 10kms , it fine now.
I think the roof light was on inadvertantly and may have caused the battery to go low.

Anyway, its fine now..I will check for a few more days and see.
The last post about the relay was useful - Thanks again.
Raghu
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Crank it twice

Hi Raghu

I am not sure whether you have any heater plug in ZEN.
I have seen in Europe, in cold conditions, people crank the car twice and it works. Engine in cold may face this problem.
It works really well for diesel cars.
Try this and revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg
Gang,
I have a 98 Zen , was working perfectly fine till today morning.Right now, it is just not cranking.The ignition lights come up, I turn the Key more, but no luck..no cranking noise, not even the tuk tuk noise that normally comes when the starter is stuck.

I have checked the following, was wondering if any DIY tips are there before calling the service station

1)Battery is fine, the headlights are bright and they dont go low when I turn the key.All electricals are working, so I dont think its a battery problem.
2)I checked the main fuses in the bonnet bay, the 40A one looks fine, but the 60A one, I am unable to make out..are there any tell tale signs.?
3)Push starting the vehicle starts it just fine..
4)No evidence of rats eating off the wire anywhere.
5)I havent checked the fuse box under the dash, will do it in the morning..anything specific to look for there?

Any help is appreciated.

Raghu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks