Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 16:43   #31
D4D
BHPian

re: AMT Failure in my Maruti Celerio! EDIT: Issue resolved

Good that you got your car back. I would recommend a long test drive in different conditions to check whether it can take the load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
The TE says the issues was caused by a loose coupler cover which made way for the water entering the coupler and creating an electrical short. They cleaned the coupler and the points and refitted the cover properly which resolved the issue.
Quite possible. If only this was causing trouble, I don't think there would be any problem further.

Also just ask the technician whether it is possible to visually inspect the coupler by opening the engine bay.

Quote:
The SA had a different version though. He said the issue was caused because of some one not used to an automatic car. They usually drive with right leg on the accelerator and the left leg on the brake pedal. The mentioned issue was caused because of the driver applying both at the same time and driving. The car is "brilliant" enough to sense this and automatically cut off "something" which prevents the AMT from working. ECU was reset to fix the issue. DONE!!!
This is absolute nonsense.

Quote:
I am not sure whether any parts were replaced to fix this issue or whether they are pushing it as a minor issue specific to this car and not a manufacturing defect. I still could not believe both versions of the story!!!
A part was refitted. That's all. They didn't feel any mechanical part needed to be replaced and didn't do it.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Well, Hyundai does advertise their 'Smart pedal system' where if the accel and brake are pressed together, the system senses it and ensures that the brake overrides the accel. This is touted as a safety feature of the new i20.

So it is possible for the car to sense both pressed and cut off 'something' . But I sincerely doubt if the Celerio will have this feature. Am sure Maruti would have heavily advertised it, if it were the case.
Celerio does have the Brake override system in case both B&A are pressed. This is true for all new generation automatics as this is part of the Safety requirements, just like you need to have brakes depressed in AMTs to start the car or have B pressed in CVTs etc. to slot into D.

Although it is an unfortunate event, but I am sure it is a one-off scenario. Also the technicians at the ASS with time will get used to the usual troubleshoots, which arises as a part of poor designs (like the part that failed or was not secured properly) and any other such issues. However, I know this from a friend who has a JV with Magnetti Marelli that the products and the technology is solid. Had that not been the case you would have not seen so many OEMs lining up to retrofit it in their cars MSL, TATA, Mahindra, etc.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Hyundai does advertise their 'Smart pedal system' where if the accel and brake are pressed together, the system senses it and ensures that the brake overrides the accel. This is touted as a safety feature of the new i20.
Break override is nothing new it is standard thing in most cars unannounced silent taken for granted thing. (my 2008 Tata Safari has it and almost all Tata Cars I know have this) however probably Hyundai suddenly decided to tout it as new feature
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:

So it is possible for the car to sense both pressed and cut off 'something' . But I sincerely doubt if the Celerio will have this feature. Am sure Maruti would have heavily advertised it, if it were the case.
Yea I am not doubting the technology here. It might be present in Celerio but, I find it hard to believe that instead of overriding accelerator input by brakes, Celerio system cuts of 'something' that renders transmission useless and car is stranded in between.
Old 28th October 2014, 15:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: AMT Failure in my Maruti Celerio! EDIT: Issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Yea I am not doubting the technology here. It might be present in Celerio but, I find it hard to believe that instead of overriding accelerator input by brakes, Celerio system cuts of 'something' that renders transmission useless and car is stranded in between.
Not the technology. It's an ill-trained SA - that's all. Or maybe an SA who just got employed into Maruti from Hyundai, and still thought he was advising basis i20s.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
AMT-failure related posts moved to a new thread! Thanks to Narayans80 for requesting the same.

Also adding an email from Jayakrishnan M

Recently I purchased a Maruti Suzuki Celerio AMT VXI model. It has done less than 300 kms. But the car is subjected to serious manufacturing defect, resulting in stopping of the vehicle in traffic jams. What to do with this? It is a brand new car. Am I eligible for replacement or refund? Kindly advice
Any update on the other issue?
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:18   #37

Having worked with AMT's for more than a year I can certainly say that there n number of reasons why the transmission MIL would go on. Somewhere in your post you have mentioned a Transmission Selector Problem. Most AMT's in India have a crossgate mechanism to select the H-gate and then a shifter mechanism to push the sleeve into gear. So in your case it says there is a selector problem which can be
1. Transmission Selector Plausability
2. Can be triggered by a sticky solenoid valve that acuates the cross gate
3. Can be due to a wrongly fit synchro.
4. EMS connectivity problems etc.

Kindly donot worry, all these are just easy fixes. Maruti definitely got all of them during their validation process, so I have a strong gut feel that they will be surely working upon this concern. Hope to AMT's give india a cheap substitute for ATs.
photcaptor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
AMT-failure related posts moved to a new thread! Thanks to Narayans80 for requesting the same.

Recently I purchased a Maruti Suzuki Celerio AMT VXI model. It has done less than 300 kms. But the car is subjected to serious manufacturing defect, resulting in stopping of the vehicle in traffic jams.

Also adding an email from Jayakrishnan M:
Any updates on this issue? We are contemplating getting the Celerio AMT that is now being offered in the ZXI variant. It is the only "automatic" that is fitting the budget. Just want to know all the issues that are there beforehand.
Old 24th June 2015, 07:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

This post put me in a situation when I was looking to buy my Celerio AMT. But I went with the gut feeling. I have been driving the car since April now, done around 5000 Kms.

I use my Left foot for Brake and Right for Accelerator. Due to this many times i end up using both together at the same time as per the need. I have not faced a single problem yet. The car is returning 14.5 KM/L with AC on all the time.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 23:24   #40

I have been driving my Celerio ZXI AMT since March 2015 and quite loving it. I did not face any problem with AMT. However I'm a little unhappy about the fan running sound which comes heavily even when the car is idle or just taken out of my garage. I have not heard this sound in my Santro which I had before. The sound just comes up heavily and stays for half a minute and goes off. Any of you guys experiencing the same fan rotating sound?
Ranupkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 02:56   #41
vdi
BHPian

My wife is using the AMT and it had done close to 12000 kms so far. No issues so far.
vdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 10:14   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I use my Left foot for Brake and Right for Accelerator. Due to this many times i end up using both together at the same time as per the need.
In effect, you are rewiring your brain . Please don't do this. If & when you get behind the wheel of a manual car, it can create problems.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 10:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In effect, you are rewiring your brain . Please don't do this. If & when you get behind the wheel of a manual car, it can create problems.
True said GTO, but with a long history of Riding Bullets and other bikes and normal gear shift of bullets I have become very comfy with the concept of using the feet as needed. I have realised the same for the Cars. I have been driving the Celerio as a primary car lately. But as my leg is getting better I do drive manuals as-well but my brain allows me to work manual car like a manual. But yes I am being careful.

Thanks.
Old 24th July 2015, 23:42   #44
BHPian

My Celerio AMT has done more than 15000kms and is doing great.No complaints.
My wife loves this car.This is her first ever auto-mobile, From riding Bicycle in her school days to Celerio AMT directly. It gives good mileage as well.
Old 18th December 2015, 20:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

I have driven my Celerio VXI AMT for around 20500 KM, i have been facing problem with the clutch release it is not smooth. From stand still or very low speeds it gets bit jerky. Some times it is very jerky where the car shakes and makes "gad gad gad" sounds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks