Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2015, 07:20   #46

Re: AMT Failure in my Maruti Celerio! EDIT: Issue resolved

I have a celerio which has clocked around 23k kilometres and I'm having the same issue of a jerkin gear shift along with a vibration when accelerating soon after the gear shift. If it was a manual transmission I would peg it as a clutch plate/ housing or a pressure plate or a clutch release bearing issue... Took the car to the service centre and they just gave me. A vague reply stating that it is a common issue with celerio AMT's... I'm not willing to resign to this fact.... Would appreciate if any other members could share similar issues as data on the AMT us limited online
Old 28th December 2015, 10:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunferns View Post
I have a celerio which has clocked around 23k kilometres and I'm having the same issue of a jerkin gear shift along with a vibration when accelerating soon after the gear shift. If it was a manual transmission I would peg it as a clutch plate/ housing or a pressure plate or a clutch release bearing issue... Took the car to the service centre and they just gave me. A vague reply stating that it is a common issue with celerio AMT's... I'm not willing to resign to this fact.... Would appreciate if any other members could share similar issues as data on the AMT us limited online
This is exactly what i am facing
Old 31st December 2015, 12:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
This is exactly what i am facing
Okay, I am seeing a similar trend in my Alto K10 AMT. This "jerking" phenomenon is most pronounced in the 2nd gear while accelerating hard. Here's what it can be described as:

0-15KMPH: 1 Gear : Revs build up nicely, no vibration or judder
15-20KMPH: Gear Change to 2 Gear
20-30KMPH: 2 Gear: Juddering felt on hard acceleration. Nothing on smooth acceleration
30-40KMPH: 3 Gear: Mild Juddering, almost imperceivable - one needs to concnetrate hard to notice this
40-50kmph: 4+ gears ... no juddering - perfectly fine.

The juddering can be replicated on an MT car like this. Depress the clutch pedal while shifting into 2nd from first gear, and while holding the clutch, start pressing the acc pedal. Now, slowly but surely, release the clutch pedal to get that "surge" (its almost like a wheelspin start, but you are doing it in the 2nd gear) and the same judder can be felt. I think the AMT is "riding the clutch" while the juddering is happening - and it happens all too frequently in Bangalore's horrible stop and go traffic where the moving average is 12kmph. The AMT is constantly clutching and de-clutching in 2nd gear and this is probably why the judder is being felt as it "rides" the clutch, so to speak.

Pointed this to a SA at MASS and he said "saaaar AMT this is a feature - even Celerio has this effect".

But I made it a point to get this issue noted in the service history in case an AMT issue is identified later on - they shouldn't say I drove the car wrongly, or that the issue popped up 2 days ago and all this time it was fine. My Alto K10 is just 1750km old but drives through worst possible traffic. It takes 2h to cover 14km.
vsathyap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 15:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

I got the car checked, the service center guys mentioned that this is a known problem.

Some cars have a calibration issue for clutch and gearbox. They checked the car for errors, which they did not find. They promptly told that they will open the clutch and check the issue.

I had left the car at around 1 PM the car was corrected in the evening. The clutch was replaced and the care is running like new.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti needs to work on the correct mating of AMT with their cars, to put it in simple terms, AMT is not Automatic per se, its just advanced hydraulics and a bot working like a physical arm for you underneath, controlled by a TU just like an ECU(for engine).

Thats one of the reasons no mechanic can put their minds into diagnosing it (unless its OEM technician), its a sealed unit, non serviceable by MASS.

Last edited by dadu : 31st December 2015 at 16:27.
Old 20th January 2016, 19:38   #51

I am facing a similar issue (maybe). The 2nd gear gets slotted at around 16kmph and the service advisors think that this is correct. I called up Maruti, Guragaon and they think its on the higher side. I took the car to Kalyani Motors and they connected to onboard diagnostics and it showed that the gear shift happens at 14kmph and said this is the default behaviour! Still not convinced that the gear shift is correct. I feel it is slight delayed
josephraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 11:28   #52

The problem seems to have got fixed. The moment I cross 36kmph I am already in 4th Gear (very light footed acceleration). I noticed this after refuelling. So, I guess it was a case of adulterated fuel that cased delayed shifting!
josephraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:29   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Does it make sense to go in for a Celerio AMT right now?
One of my colleagues is looking to buy his first car, since office transport is not working out now. I had suggested the Eon, or good used example of a Waggy. He, however, wanted to know about the AMT. He does not know how to drive, though he has learned, and its on his license, and uses a bike extensively. The car will in all probability be kept till it disintegrates. I would not like for him to buy something that keeps him running to the service station, or expires post warranty. Suggestions?
Old 18th May 2016, 10:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I think Maruti needs to work on the correct mating of AMT with their cars, to put it in simple terms, AMT is not Automatic per se, its just advanced hydraulics and a bot working like a physical arm for you underneath, controlled by a TU just like an ECU(for engine).

Thats one of the reasons no mechanic can put their minds into diagnosing it (unless its OEM technician), its a sealed unit, non serviceable by MASS.
OT: In that case nothing is automatic ! Its from driver's point of view that we use the word automatic.
Old 24th June 2016, 17:14   #55

I have faced this issue of jerkings in my 18month old Celerio VXi.The car has driven 23K + kms in Bangalore Traffic and occasional Highway trips.

I have faced this issue when the car moves from stand still,especially on a slope.

Have raised this with service people and as usual they said its common with AMT. In the 20,000 service also i have raised and they did some testing for two days and claimed its rectified. The problem is still there and i am taking to service center soon.

Would update soon.
DJ.
dijeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Okay, one of my cousins got a Celerio AMT and its a month old, when the car was 140 km, I happen to visit their place since we were going to go to Daman on a drive in their car, the check engine light was on and hence we decided to first show it to Sai Service which was a service station nearby. The error was with the AMT, it was removed, AMT calibrated again and the car was ready for the trip where in it worked flawlessly.

Now as my aunty after a few days was going to drop my sister to the railway station, the car got stuck in 2nd gear in D mode and would refuse to change. When she had to stop the car at a signal, it shut down and refused to start back with the 2 on the instrument cluster blinking. The Sai service guy came and he took it, cleared the codes, took a long test drive and certified it okay

Now again yesterday the car again got stuck in 2nd, my aunt acted smart and without stopping just drove it home and stopped it, it refuses to start again.

Now what could this be? This car has not even done 600 kilometers. We got it from Navneet in Thane. What a bummer in the form of a new car ownership, they are maruti loyalists and had a Maruti Alto which they exchanged for a Celerio.
Old 20th February 2017, 13:17   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Now what could this be?
This is the mistake what Maruti engineers do every time. They just clear the codes and wash their hands off, than investigating the genuine reason why it happened and making sure it doesn't repeat.

Do you have any idea what were the codes?

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th February 2017 at 15:24. Reason: Buddy careful, too many typos i guess from Mobile device. Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 14:39   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is the mistake what Maruti engineers do every time. They just clear the codes and wash their hands off, than investigating the genuine reason why it happened and making sure it doesn't repeat.
There is no necessity to stereotype. They do have a certain SOP and guidelines chart to follow in case of trouble. The first step is to check for errors and based on what the errors are, certain actions are taken. And its not simply deleting the codes and sending the car back. If they had enough sense to plug in their scantool, they would also take a second look at what the error is too. There are certain cases where the shift selector will thrown up an error due to wrong position information. In such cases, the error shown will be 'Shift selector position error' which can be cleared and the car taken for a road test. If there is no issue, then the SOP will also end there.

I have seen errors being stored in my car for starting the car in D, for trying to crank without pressing the brake pedal and so on. Now if they see such stuff, they will obviously delete it without investigating further. Only when there is a repeat case like this one, they will take it deeper and do a detailed analysis not only at the diagnostics level, but also at the mechanical and electrical level(even though it could be the same simple errors stored).

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Now what could this be? This car has not even done 600 kilometers. We got it from Navneet in Thane. What a bummer in the form of a new car ownership, they are maruti loyalists and had a Maruti Alto which they exchanged for a Celerio.
I guess this is more of a gearbox issue than AMT issue. Some mechanical issue might render the shift tower stuck(synchroniser?) which upon initialisation will work fine but then repeat under a certain situation.

Also enquire with your aunt and whoever was driving at each of the times on when and what circumstance this issue came up(decelerating, accelerating, etc). That will make the background more clearer. Since it is already at the service center, talk to the works manager and give out a rant. They will ensure that the issue is looked in to much detail as possible.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2017 at 09:41. Reason: Quoted post edited
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 14:52   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There is no necessity to stereotype. They do have a certain SOP and guidelines chart to follow in case of trouble.
Hey, can you please keep a check on the tone of your post, please?!

I have ample experience with Maruti Suzuki and their ASC's. I have gone through CEL lighting up in both my K10 and my colleagues Celerio.

In my K10, they cleared it silently and said so is well. Since it didn't reappear, I didn't make a fuss. But in my colleagues Celerio, the second time when the CEL came, I was adamant to be with the car and get it rectified. It was dismissed that the AMT unit isn't functioning as it should. They replaced the unit and all was normal. No CEL there after.
Old 20th February 2017, 15:02   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey, can you please keep a check on the tone of your post, please?!

I have ample experience with Maruti Suzuki and their ASC's. I have gone through CEL lighting up in both my K10 and my colleagues Celerio.

In my K10, they cleared it silently and said so is well. Since it didn't reappear, I didn't make a fuss. But in my colleagues Celerio, the second time when the CEL came, I was adamant to be with the car and get it rectified. It was dismissed that the AMT unit isn't functioning as it should. They replaced the unit and all was normal. No CEL there after.
Pardon me, if it sounded harsh. Your experience itself says that there are different versions to the incident. While one got solved at first go, the other didnt go. Hence, though you can say that they always do the same thing everytime, calling it as a mistake is definitely not right. Hope that explains.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks