Team-BHP - TVS launches synthetic engine oil at Rs. 525 per litre
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   TVS launches synthetic engine oil at Rs. 525 per litre (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/157159-tvs-launches-synthetic-engine-oil-rs-525-per-litre.html)

TVS Motor Company has announced the launch of a synthetic oil - TVS TRU4 Synthetic 10W 30.

The company claims that TRU4 Synthetic meets standards set by Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation and American Petroleum Institute and aids smooth clutch operation, low temperature startability and longer service life.

TVS also claims that TRU4 Synthetic uses a formulation technology for extreme thermal conditions to establish superior thermal stability both at high and low temperatures. This technology also brings about preferential friction reduction, superior engine cleanliness and smoother clutch performance, leading to better ride comfort.

According to Mr. K. Venkateswarlu, Vice President – Parts Business, TVS Motor Company, "Synthetic oil flows better in cold weather, making engine starts easier and offering better protection. In addition, synthetic oil resists viscosity changes at extremely high temperatures unlike conventional oil, which can break down or evaporate at such temperatures, causing damage to the engine. Synthetic oil is slicker than conventional oil and therefore enables smoother, cooler engine operation resulting in better power and better fuel economy”.

TVS TRU Synthetic is available in 1 litre and 900 ml packs. It is priced at Rs. 525 per litre. Each pack comes with a unique number and customers can check whether the product they are purchasing is genuine by sending a text message TRU4 <space> <Unique no.> to 9500444444.

TVS launches synthetic engine oil at Rs. 525 per litre-tru4syntheticbottle.png

Poured this oil about a month back in my RTR160. Though I didn't see much difference compared to Shell AX7 Semi Synthetic, it's noticeably better than the other TRU4 that they use. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't 'evaporate' like the Motul/Shell FS oils. Have done about 1000 km and the color has changed from very very light golden yellow(almost transparent) to brownish gold. Oil level hasn't fallen at all. I don't think it'll last more than 3000km unlike the other FS oils. Compared to AX7, I think the smoothness has increased a bit, but not sure since the temperatures have also fallen quite a bit in the last month and RTRs do feel noticeably smoother as the temperature falls.

Overall, I feel it isn't worth the extra premium of around 120 I paid over Shell AX7. Only thing is the peace of mind of using OEM oil and that the oil will work good at least on the RTRs since they will have tested them extensively on the RTRs.

What are the API ratings for this oil? I am currently using Shell Advance Ultra fully synthetic oil on my dio and the results are very good. However they are sold in 10W40 viscosity grade. If this oil gets good reviews, I will consider using it since its 10W30, what the manufacturer specifies.

My RTR is extremely sensitive to the oil I fill. I always stick to Motul 300v and now for the first time I shifted to their single ester 7100T primarily due to the increasing prices.

I might just give this oil a try a though.

Tried this oil for my Apache 160's oil change (2.5 years old, odo at 16800 kms) 4 days ago, and have covered about 50-60 kms since then.

I can't make out any change in pickup/performance/engine noise. However, the infamous Apache vibrations at 4k+ RPMs seem to have gone down noticeably.

I will anyway be changing this oil after 3000 kms, even though TVS says it is good for 6k kms. So, am in 2 minds now - is spending almost double the cost of a mineral only for reducing the vibes justified, or should I go back to mineral oil? :)

Cheers,
Vikram