Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 21:35   #1
BHPian

SF Sonic Batteries

Hi all,
Its time to change the batteries in Civic and my trusted Battery guy (who has been supplying for long) is vehement in his recommendation for SF Sonic. He says they have changed a lot and the current lot has a lot technological advantage compared to the older ones ( I like him because unlike other battery walas he does his research)

I was trying to find threads on the latest SF batteries and couldn't find any, so opened a new thread.

Some of the features he says are:
Plate design (whatever that means) - SF plates are made from a unique Calcium Silver Alloy and has a radial grid design. Hence, the alloy and the design deliver high power – leading to the highest crank power.

The Calcium Silver Alloy –gives the battery a longer life and sustained power even in high heat environments. This seems to lead to lower water consumption and a better maintenance free battery.

Key benefits compared to others:
High / Instant Cranking Power
Long life
Zero maintenance

Also, since my Civic is not used for months sometimes, he says SF is better since it uses a Special Paste recipe and grid alloy that helps to recover the battery from deep discharge, at a rate much faster than other batteries.

Also, SF seems to be the lowest priced compared to Amaron or Exide.

Should I take the plunge or is he trying to pull a marketing stunt on me?
Old 5th November 2014, 22:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SF Sonic Batteries

@Ram, suggest the market favorite Amaron. It gives the best wty, and wider spread among differnect cars for it's life expectancy.

SF used to be good back then, but have not seen it being popular of late. My OE SF did last a long time in my Sumo - about 5 yrs, IIRC.

I dont understand what he means by recovering from deep discharge. Once a battery is discharged, it must be charged to a certain level before it can crank an engine.

Regarding your Civic not being used for months:
Please idle the car for a sufficient length every 15 days at least. COuld idle it for about 20 minutes at least each time.

For not being used "in months", any battery will get discharge & weaken

There is nothing unique in the 3 points/benefits listed.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 22:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

SF is the same brand as the erstwhile Standard Batteries, later known as Standard Furukawa. The battery business of The Standard Batteries Ltd. (SBL) was sold to Exide Industries in 1998.

When you buy an SFSonic battery today, you would effectively be buying a rebranded Exide.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
SF is the same brand as the erstwhile Standard Batteries, later known as Standard Furukawa. The battery business of The Standard Batteries Ltd. (SBL) was sold to Exide Industries in 1998.

When you buy an SFSonic battery today, you would effectively be buying a rebranded Exide.
+1 to that. I got delivery of my Ritz Zxi last week and it has an SF battery. The Roadside assistance number given is that of Exide.
Old 5th November 2014, 22:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had used SF batteries in my Zen twice - first one lasted from 2002 to 2009 and the second till 2014. Replaced it with Amaron this time since SF Sonic was not available easily when I checked.

A couple of months back, the OEM Exide in my Swift gave away after 6 years and had to be replaced. Again, I couldn't find SF immediately and ended up swapping with an Exide since a valet parking drained the battery and I needed someone who provided onsite replacement immediately.

If you have a trusted mechanic who can get warranty from SF in case needed, then it should be fine.
Old 5th November 2014, 23:01   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys.

@Condor: What he meant is it recovers faster after a deep discharge, as in time to get it to crank back. Not a major advantage but more of a nice to have since mine will have idle time.

@SS-Traveller/Altocumulus: So if SF is Exide re-badged, why pay more for Exide?
Old 5th November 2014, 23:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Why the price difference between a Duster and Terrano?

SFSonic will do your job, that's what matters.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 10:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

SF or Standard Furukawa is the lower cost arm of Exide and the default battery OEM for Maruti Cars.

Having used them since over a decade, feel that SF batteries last the mile.

The cranking is good and my 65K Wagon R on OEM SF battery still cranks in one start.

They have decent build and are among the leading players.
Old 6th November 2014, 10:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Its like SS mentioned, Vento and Rapid, Duster and Terrano, Micra and Pulse.

Exide is a big brand name in India. For most of us Indians the 'Brand' instills a lot more confidence.

And if SF had been bad Maruti wouldn't be using it as OEM. So don't worry go for it.
Old 7th November 2014, 01:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, will go for SF
After having read a lot about batteries Exide and its subsidiary SF woundn't be that good. Exide batteries don't last much long and have issues immediately after end of warranty period. Having used it for 2 wheeler many a times. Using Amaron now.

OEM would go in for what's cheaper and consumer are okay with it. Exide has been long prevalent in India so we all had a good brand image of it but that's no longer true. VW uses Varta battery and that's the best I have come across.

Amaron is any day better. Also its an Indian company compared to Exide which is US based.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
After having read a lot about batteries Exide and its subsidiary SF woundn't be that good. Exide batteries don't last much long and have issues immediately after end of warranty period. Having used it for 2 wheeler many a times. Using Amaron now.

OEM would go in for what's cheaper and consumer are okay with it. Exide has been long prevalent in India so we all had a good brand image of it but that's no longer true. VW uses Varta battery and that's the best I have come across.

Amaron is any day better. Also its an Indian company compared to Exide which is US based.
I have been using Exide mostly. My other car, a 2008 Alto still has the OEM Exide battery and is still going strong. My Esteem battery was nearly 4 years when I sold it off and the new owner still doesn't have any complains.

But that doesn't mean Amaron is bad. Its a very good brand and product. However the service on call of Exide is very good and prompt. Not sure about Amaron.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
...Exide and its subsidiary SF woundn't be that good. Exide batteries don't last much long and have issues immediately after end of warranty period.
Amaron is any day better.
Link to thread for Exide-bashing...
Old 9th March 2015, 16:12   #13
BHPian

Just to update my experience, so far its been good. Cranks in first start and also I am able to use ResqTech Washer without starting the car. It usually takes me 15-20 mins to wash the entire car. That's a good sign. But still too early as its just been 5 months of usage. Will keep the thread updated.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:43   #14

Heard from a friend that he purchased an SF Sonic battery for his Swift. It was a SF Sonic Flash Start battery purchased online. His previous battery was also a SF Sonic that ran for close to 70k without any issues.

I think it should run the mile.
Old 26th September 2023, 13:14   #15
BHPian

My Honda City Diesel's battery has seen better days, and it's giving me a hard time with long cranks in the morning. So, I'm looking to replace it, and I've heard good things about both SF Sonic and Amaron batteries.Before I make a decision, I'd like to gather some insights from those of you who have experience with either of these battery brands. Please share your thoughts, recommendations, and any personal experiences you've had with SF Sonic or Amaron batteries in your Honda City Diesel.

The SF costs ₹5300/- and the Amaron will cost around ₹5700/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks