Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2014, 19:39   #1
BHPian

Cleaned Air Filter. Now, hissing sound

Hi,

I own a Ritz Diesel 2011 make. I was about to take the car for a 2k ride and thought I would do with some homework. Though my car was not due for service I wanted to check the condition of my Air Filter as off late there has been a lot of dust flying around where I drive due to bad and broken roads. As I opened the air filter was rather dusty and black.

To clean it I dusted it on the ground 20-30 times till the dust coming out from it stopped and reinstalled it. To check the performance of the car I started and took it for a spin. To my surprise the car was making a hissing sound on de-acceleration, like a louder 'zzzzeeeee' while climbing downhill than it used to be.

I drove hardly for about a KM and parked it worried if something has gone wrong. My drive is this Friday.

Can anyone tell me why this must have happened or is it common after the air filter cleaning till the ECU adapts the high quantity of air that's now coming in ? Will appreciate your inputs..
Old 23rd November 2014, 20:45   #2
BANNED

re: Cleaned Air Filter. Now, hissing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Hi,

I own a Ritz Diesel 2011 make. I was about to take the car for a 2k ride and thought I would do with some homework. Though my car was not due for service I wanted to check the condition of my Air Filter as off late there has been a lot of dust flying around where I drive due to bad and broken roads. As I opened the air filter was rather dusty and black.

To clean it I dusted it on the ground 20-30 times till the dust coming out from it stopped and reinstalled it. To check the performance of the car I started and took it for a spin. To my surprise the car was making a hissing sound on de-acceleration, like a louder 'zzzzeeeee' while climbing downhill than it used to be.

I drove hardly for about a KM and parked it worried if something has gone wrong. My drive is this Friday.

Can anyone tell me why this must have happened or is it common after the air filter cleaning till the ECU adapts the high quantity of air that's now coming in ? Will appreciate your inputs..
Hope the filter is not torn and installed properly. Check the tightness for the box as it may be loose.

Check if the MAF is installed properly as it gives input to the ECU regarding the incoming air.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hope the filter is not torn and installed properly. Check the tightness for the box as it may be loose.

Check if the MAF is installed properly as it gives input to the ECU regarding the incoming air.

Anurag.

No the air filter is not torn and the box is fine and airtight. Sorry but what what does MAF stand for?
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check the circular clip which connects a rubber pipe to the plastic air filter box. Most probably that is lose or became lose when you removed the air filter. Take a slotted screw driver and tighten the single screw that is present on top side of the clip.

Secondly, open the air filter box again, place the air filter properly in its place and tighten the screws again. See if anything changes.

Since I have not heard the sound, I can't really pin point but if everything of the above is all right, maybe its just the Blow off valve you are hearing when you are letting the throttle go. That is normal.

If you still have a doubt, make a video and post it here so that we can best judge
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a plumbing leak. Check for leaks - hose clips, gaskets etc
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 23:18   #6
BHPian

Re: Cleaned Air Filter. Now, hissing sound

Cars actually are built to last and don't require this much maintenance as quoted by manufacturers or so many frequent replacements either. They do it to keep their vehicles safe enough so that they don't have to replace anything under warranty and pass the blame on you if you haven't followed their godforsaken recommendations.
The agencies simply replace air filter and oil filter for no damn reason even if they are in good condition. I don't know if they even do it and just mark it off as replaced in the bill because they know we people don't bother to check under the hood. So I looked up manuals and removed the air filter and found it was reasonably clean. Even when I blew air at it with a vacuum cleaner, I found nothing coming out of it. Then I noticed that one of the clips holding the cover of the air filter was broken. It was hence loose on one side. Does it mean that the engine has been taking dirty air through the gaps all this while? I temporarily tightened it with a rope. Is there any fix to it other than replacing that entire plastic box? I am pretty sure that the last service centre I visited must have deliberately gotten it removed so as to make me go to them more often. The guy was after my life telling me to use synthetic oil in place of regular engine oil. Barring oil change, they did NOTHING apparently. But gave me a bill of 10k saying AC was serviced, and a bunch of other filters were replaced.

Most Viewed