Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2006, 13:54   #1
BHPian

Zen clutch problem

Hi guys,

I have a 1.5 yr 16000km old Zen, and the clutch is making a squeaking noise when its depressed and released.

Showed it to the service guy and he says he'll have to open the assly and see the problem. He mentioned the clutch could be gone since the car is not picking up in gear 1 and 2, but its ok in 3 and 4. I don't drive with my foot on the pedal, and the pick-up etc seems to be fine to me. He then said that a bearing that controls the movement of teh clutch might have to be cleaned.

What do you guys think is the problem? I don't think the clutch should've worn out so early ... maybe he was just trying to see if he could fleece more out of me, maybe its the bearing only ... but i've to leave the car for one day.

Is it Ok to ahve these problems so early?

Regards,
Simran
Old 7th August 2006, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

It could be springs which control the pedal movement.....I had a similar problem after the rains last year but little lubrication solved the problem.....the springs are located somehere near the pedal under the dash....No need to open up the assembly n all....

N also if u feel the pick up n all is fine its just the noise of the pedal then pls do consult some experts before getting to the clutch assembly....

KP
Old 7th August 2006, 14:10   #3
BHPian

Thanks KPZEN,

I'll try some lubrication today evening, and try to see if the problem goes away. When I opened the bonnet, there was noise coming from the actuating lever too, so I was in doubt if it was an internal problem.

What did you use for lubrication? Will grease do?

Simran
Old 7th August 2006, 14:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Had the same prob on the Vtec. Honda said it had something to do with the clutch cable. It took just 5 mins to solve it and no, nothing was replaced.

I guess it's a minor prob.

Shan2nu
Old 7th August 2006, 14:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
Thanks KPZEN,

I'll try some lubrication today evening, and try to see if the problem goes away. When I opened the bonnet, there was noise coming from the actuating lever too, so I was in doubt if it was an internal problem.

What did you use for lubrication? Will grease do?

Simran
Normal oil will do....but i guess grease is better as there is no issue of dripping then....

If u dont feel any problem in driving the car no pick up loss etc then there's nothing much to worry.....Also these maruti's clutch ain't that bad to last only 16K kms ....

KP
Old 7th August 2006, 15:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dude from what u state i am sure its the clutch bearing which has gone bad.Did u go through water logged area anytime.Sometimes water enters the clutch and clutch bearing take beating and starts making a sound.This causes the sound i think u heard.About the car not picking up in gear 1 and 2 it could also be because of water inside the clutch assembly.The Bearing sound will increase gradually and along with the clutch bearing also replace the flywheel bearing as if water has entered the clutch unit it would have damaged the flywheel bearing too somewhat.
If the clutch bearing fails completely lot of things will break and u ll be in deep trouble.Try and get it checked weather the sound u are hearing is from the clutch bearing or no asap.
Old 13th August 2006, 02:04   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

What kind of sound?...
(A) is it only while depressing and releasing?
- could be a cable / pedal issue
(B) is the pedal hard?
- if its (A)+(B) most probably its gone/ going completely.
(C) is it a shh... sound while you keep the pedal depressed?
- its the bearing then.

I have been running my wagonR on noisy bearing since the past 15k kms .. as I didn't feel like spending money. It proved to be completely reliable.
Old 13th August 2006, 02:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
Hi guys,

I have a 1.5 yr 16000km old Zen, and the clutch is making a squeaking noise when its depressed and released.

Showed it to the service guy and he says he'll have to open the assly and see the problem. He mentioned the clutch could be gone since the car is not picking up in gear 1 and 2, but its ok in 3 and 4. I don't drive with my foot on the pedal, and the pick-up etc seems to be fine to me. He then said that a bearing that controls the movement of teh clutch might have to be cleaned.

What do you guys think is the problem? I don't think the clutch should've worn out so early ... maybe he was just trying to see if he could fleece more out of me, maybe its the bearing only ... but i've to leave the car for one day.

Is it Ok to ahve these problems so early?

Regards,
Simran

Hi

Simran there is a small test which you can try if the pressure is ok. Drive the car at 20 -30 Kmph and keep the clutch pressed and raise the rpm a bit release the clutch at once and see if it is giving enouch thrust. and if the motion is squeeky then change the clutch wire. this is the maximum problem cause the the Odo rating u mentioned the cluch plate cannot go bad unless there is a major issue with the driving style (no offences to you though). most of the times the mechanics tell u all sort of things. i took my car to a local guy who i trusted he just scared the little jesus out of me he said my car is consuming a loty of oil so engine work was about to come. he also told me that my suspension and clutch is about to be serviced. Then there was a small sound from the fron left wheel while truning right found out that the front mud flap was interfering but he said that the fron wheel bearing is gone. took it to MUL and every thing is fixed now for less that 250 Bucks. I am sure if i drive this car for another year i myself will be a good mechenic . No big issues sofar touchwood
Old 13th August 2006, 06:05   #9
BHPian

Is this problem in cold start?Does the sound also comes when you continuouslly keep the clutch depressed? Or it comes when you release it?
Old 14th August 2006, 11:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Had the same prob on the Vtec. Honda said it had something to do with the clutch cable. It took just 5 mins to solve it and no, nothing was replaced.

I guess it's a minor prob.

Shan2nu
bang on shan2nu....it is nothing but the clutch cable...have it replaced & u should be fine....no way clutch assembly needs to be tampered at 16 k. it can run pretty well till u cross 80k (Presuming ofcourse that ur odo reading is genuine).

Last edited by esteem_lover : 14th August 2006 at 11:57.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. It helped me take an informed decision.

To give more details on the problem, it used to happen after the engine warmed up. The clutch used to become hard, and used to make a noise when you release it. The problem did not come until driven for a couple of kms.

The problem was with the bearings. i got the cable replaced, and it did not solve the problem. The car was with Maruti for a day when they 'took the gearbox down' and cleaned the bearings and put new oil. Now the play is quite smooth, and the problem is gone.

After the op, there was oil leakage, and they changed the oil seal which is there on the drive shaft. Now everything is fine. I took the car to a 300km drive after that, and absolutely no probs.

Everything done under warranty, so no cost ... the seal cost some 115 bucks.

After the problem was corrected, the operation was smooth, but the car has started shuddering when picking up in lower gears. This used to happen before ... but not immediately after the car was serviced, so I guess that is a non-issue.

Thanks everyone again,
Simran
Old 23rd September 2006, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Have you guys Heard of my Clutch issue....??
THe Clutch pedal in Christine ('99 Zen) came out...

Yes Really!!! I gave the car to my uncle.. and by the time I got it back.. The pedal was sitting a bit more than it used to be.and was moving abit sideways.. by maybe 5mm Could feelit on the leg.. Being Sunday I thought of nursing the car back to Hosur (From bangalore) and show iit on a Monday...

The pedal was a bit squeaky.. And after sometime.. It Slid off the bar... (there is some sort of a bar thing on that..)

Was on the Highway.. Pushed the stick to neutral.. and coasted to the shoulder..

There was no damage as such.. Took the pedal from the floor.. Slid it back on the bar thingy.. The worst part was locating the other end of the clutch cable from between the carpet.. Finally found it..

there was a sort of hook on the pedal.. und the cable eye thingy on the hook.. .. Then after that the clutch started operating.. The pedal was a bit higher than usual.. and acted abit free.. (Lots of sideways movement)

Reached home and parked.. Showed it the Service guy.. First thing in the morning.. He told that a lock.. On bar thingy fell off.. which resulted in the pedal being free on the bar thingy... and after half an hour of use the pedel fell off...

He replaced the lock.. somewhere around 5 bucks.. Yeah that guy gave me a bill for 5 bucks...and after that everything was as fine as it was..

There was another issue on Christine.. The Oil filter loosening.. In forum.. that was scary.. That I'll put it on some other thread..

Old 23rd September 2006, 19:23   #13

hi guys,
i have seen all of the replies, as i am working with auto service field for
last seven years, i am suggesting u to change the cluch pressure plate and disc under warranty,as u mentiond that cluth shudering in low gears bcoz of slippage between pressure plate and disc.please dont diagnose
problems ur self,little knowledge always makes probs...check with experts
so that u can avoid making probs ur self on ur car.
thanks & regards
vipin
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:10   #14
BANNED

Re: Zen clutch problem

I got the clutch replaced at MASS .With The clutch bearing it costed around 7K Inr .The original was Valeo .It was fine but i kind of found it getting hard so just decided to change it .However the new clutch from MASS is ceekay which i have found just harder on my feet .It is smooth alright , grips well but it is just too hard compared to my previous Valeo .
One difference i noted is In Valeo there are i think more than 30 fingers whereas on Ceekay they are just 4 .

Any Suggestions .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks