Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 12:06   #16
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

Again my only point is that when something good is done without the headache of running door to door, I would be delighted customer (provided all papers and legal conditions and in place).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not saying that they did a bad thing. Just that a phone call for approvals would have made this 'proper service' as you said.
This is a valid point, could be a silent recall!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What makes a few owners happy may leave a LOT many owners disgruntled sometime in the near future. Automobile manufacturers' secretive activities and keeping customers out of the loop should start to ring alarm bells amongst consumers soon, if not already happening.
Old 9th December 2014, 12:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

Mighty generous of the company and the dealer for this prompt replacement, however as said earlier there seems to be something seriously wrong with the engines to prompt the company to ensure such quick action.
Old 9th December 2014, 12:20   #18
BANNED

I would be VERY worried if someone changed the engine of my vehicle without informing me. Though I agree that GM did a good thing of replacing the whole engine, I shudder to think how sure are they that the new engine is good enough? What about the warranty on the new engine? would it be prorated to the original invoice or will it start from the day you took the car out of the service center.
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 12:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Instead of issuing a mass recall, they are quietly replacing engines on a need-to basis. Obvious lack of transparency here.

What makes a few owners happy may leave a LOT many owners disgruntled sometime in the near future. Automobile manufacturers' secretive activities and keeping customers out of the loop should start to ring alarm bells amongst consumers soon, if not already happening.
2 possibilities I can think of:
  1. They know the issue but have not really understood what is causing it and hence cannot do anything even with the recall. The prompt engine replacement could be their way of getting their hands on some faulty specimens to carry out their investigations into the cause.
  2. A case of replacing the few engines that face the problem within warranty period and passing the cost to any unsuspecting customers who face this issue after the warranty expires instead of issuing a mass recall.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 17:28   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

The engine might have been developed with Fiat, but the frequent problems & issues show that Chevrolet's manufacturing process is far poorer. Either by design or due to cost-cutting.

Chevy sure doesn't play by the rules. While it's nice that the engine was replaced, I echo the doubts of other BHPians. Why was it so hurried? What are they trying to hide? A major defect? Another emissions scandal? This is the way in which a small-time garage would behave...not a $40 billion corporation. Posts on this thread point to other engine replacements being carried out in the same manner, thus it's not an isolated case.

Why was no permission taken from the owner? I'd be boiling if the engine of my car was replaced without my permission.

Either ways, thanks to Foby Sebastian for sharing! Good for him that a potentially troublesome engine was changed. Happy motoring & hope the new motor performs reliably.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 18:23   #21
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

We had issues with the emission of Chevy vehicles recently. Most probably, it would have something to do with it. Their main worry would be that more heads in GM service would roll if the issue is out in open coupled with some hefty government fines. Secondly, i have some friendly terms with some Regional service managers at GM. Upon casual enquiry, they silently acknowledged that the Chevy Enjoy does have some issue. Upon further digging the problem, they downplayed the discussion and then said that it is just the engine noise.

But basic question remains as it is. What if the problem crops up after the warranty period is over. Will GM ever acknowledge the issue and give poor customer a free of cost replacement. Either the customer keeps on running from pillar to post to get his problem rectified or pay up from his own pocket. There is no benefit in selling off as GM vehicles are notorious for their ultra low resale values.

Having owned a Chevy for past 5 years can bet against eyewash scheme called CPCO. It is a way of earning by the company. Under this scheme, neither the vehicle is properly attended to nor the customer is suggested anything correctly. He is simply left lurching in dark. The dealers make money from the coupons they collect. During this period the Service advisors simply ask if there is any problem in vehicle which the customer will have little or no knowledge. Neither is he given proper feedback nor is he given proper advice. After the assigned period is over and the customer has to pay from his pocket that the real issues surface up and simple service costs also start shooting through the roof. Have gone thru this personally hence can comment safely. On my last service, i ran a bill approximately amounting to INR 10000. The vehicle had run just 28000 kms. After i was handed over the bill, i queried why were the issues not recognized under the warranty period to which the SA replied- "arrey sir, woh toh aisey he hai, customer ko bananey ke liye. Company apney margin banati hai iss tarah se. 3 years mein kuch kaam gaadi mein thode he hota hai. Dealer wait karta hai ki teen saal khatam ho jaayey tab bill banaoonga".
su1978 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 18:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Foby,

But why did the engine die so soon.
I have been offered 2 free oil service other than the regular services by Chevy India. They once recalled all the Enjoys in an early lot and replaced the faulty air filter which may cause dust to get in to engine. I suspect the old air filter part was the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Congratulations on the new engine. I want to know whether the new engine has a serial number that is the same as the old one or is it a different one.

If it is different, then have they affixed a new information plate to the car and issued a letter to the effect to enable you to get the new engine number endorsed in your car's insurance policy as well as in the vehicle's RC by notifying the concerned RTO.
About the serial number, They embossed my current engine number to the brand new engine block. I confirmed it myself. So no cases of RTO formalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Was the dealer having a spare engine available in stock readily with them and how is the change in engine number going to be addressed statutorily.
Mine is the third case in DEEDI Chevy Trivandrum, so they have enough of brand new motors in stock. The other two are taxis , an airport taxi and techno-park cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Doesn't anybody find it odd that a dealer replaced an entire engine without consulting with the owner? I wouldn't term it as a surprise, it comes across as a shock IMO if it's done without consulting the owner.

Anyways, it was a good gesture from GM to waive off the costs associated with the engine repair. I hope they help with the RTO formalities as well.

However, it is quite surprising that the warranty approvals for a part worth 1.65L was secured and job completed with two days though. Is there something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of? A known issue that has been communicated with the dealers perhaps?
The warranty approvals are still in pipe line. I am awaiting the final settlement bill. But the SA assured me that only service charge will be taken from my side. I am yet to recive a detailed bill for it but I have got a voucher for the amount 2200 INR which I have paid.

1 cylinder is under compressed for an unknown reason. They have already parceled my faulty engine to Chevy factory, as informed by the SA

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 9th December 2014 at 18:41.
foby.sebastian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 18:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

3 Liters out of 3.5 Liters is not a Joke. Its a killer to the engine and no wonder it was murdered when this happened. Question is whether this was a silent killer over a long period of time, gradually or did that happen in one go!

Lucky you that you got the replacement engine without having to spend time, effort and money to set things moving.

Am sure the replacement engine was not a dealer gesture but overall a Chevy response to the issue you faced. A dealer (even before the manufacturer) always tries to wash hands off whenever such issues crop up rather than going extra mile and replacing the entire engine block.

Secondly, the engine block is not a plain component and costs a lot. Perhaps a known issue of nonfunctional oil pump that lead to premature engine failure.

If oil was replaced during the previous service(which is more likely), there may be dealership's foul-play in terms of PDI after service, resulting in oil leaks diagnosed only when you gave the car for 30k Service and hence they tried to replace the entire unit bearing the cost to keep things under control since there was no way they could have escaped if Chevy had intervened?

This is the same Multijet/Quadrajet/DDiS/TCDi that plethora of variants from more than 4 manufactures use, quite successfully without niggles and hence the fingers point towards other supporting components exclusive to Chevy.

They got you the engine in under 4-5 days I presume. That's indeed fast for a slow moving automotive component. May be airlifted or some big shots from the dealership/Manufacturer joining hands and managing this show. Not to forget, they never knew before hand if engine was faulty and they only told you after replacing few other components that they have replaced the engine. So, the interval of ordering the Engine and fitting becomes even more shorter, 2-3 days.

Or like I read some posts here about another such incident, may be the dealer already had few blocks available in stock to carry out the replacement.

A lot of unanswered questions to this mystery.

In the end, for you, glad that it ended well. Wish you good luck with the newer heart!

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th December 2014 at 18:54.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 18:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

When I bought the vehicle i was informed that the service interval is 15,000 kilometers. But after the recalls for faulty air filter,ECU up-gradation,Free oil change etc. The service interval is now reduced to 7500 kilometers.

As a customer 15,000 kilometers service interval was one of my buying factor.

I asked for the service manager to get it in writing that the engine has been changed. His reply was it will be there in the bill.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 19:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Any idea regarding similar failures and the subsequent new engine transplants in Sail hatch and sedan?
Further, there can be a possibility that the removed engines would be returning after overhauling at the GM Plant to the dealers for transplants again in the guise of new engines.

Is engraving the engine number locally, allowable legally.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th December 2014 at 19:15.
Old 9th December 2014, 19:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
About the serial number, They embossed my current engine number to the brand new engine block. I confirmed it myself. So no cases of RTO formalities.
Is that the right thing to do? Kills the primary purpose of having a unique engine number if you ask me.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 19:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Is that the right thing to do? Kills the primary purpose of having a unique engine number if you ask me.
That is the Chevy process. I already lost faith in GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Any idea regarding similar failures and the subsequent new engine transplants in Sail hatch and sedan?
Further, there can be a possibility that the removed engines would be returning after overhauling at the GM Plant to the dealers for transplants again in the guise of new engines.

Is engraving the engine number locally, allowable legally.
Yes, it seems like engine transplant is not a big deal for Chevy. About the possibility of returning the removed engine, I am not sure.

The brand new engine block is also equipped with a turbo and new clutch, its moreover like a ready to fit and drive component.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2014 at 11:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts
foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 19:47   #28
BHPian

It's a good gesture that they replaced the engine without any hassles; But going by the human(?) tendency, most of us do not go out to help others: especially if it's a dealer/service-station helping a customer. Maybe your good rapport with the guys there helped.
When you called them up the first time, did they take it as a hint that the engine is failing. So they advised you to top-up the engine oil so you can get it back to them. As a precaution they must have got an engine ready by the time you came back.
All in all, they served the customer well; whether it's because they're at fault or not they gave a good service. Now for my question:

Will this new engine also fail after 30,000km? touch wood, that's not my intention. What is different in this engine from the previous one that will guarantee that this will not have issues?
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 20:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

A faulty air intake design/capacity will lead to turbo sucking in oil into the intake manifold, burning it, and eventually emptying the oil reservoir, and damaging the engine.

The engine is from Fiat and is reliable. But, I suspect the air intake plumbing design by Chevrolet is faulty, and hence they are replacing engines.

Surprising to know that the company finds that replacing engines is cheaper than issuing a recall and rectify the inherent error. May be they are scared of the image, which is inexistent till date.

Last edited by dhanushs : 9th December 2014 at 20:22.
dhanushs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 21:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
A faulty air intake design/capacity will lead to turbo sucking in oil into the intake manifold, burning it, and eventually emptying the oil reservoir, and damaging the engine.

The engine is from Fiat and is reliable. But, I suspect the air intake plumbing design by Chevrolet is faulty, and hence they are replacing engines.

Surprising to know that the company finds that replacing engines is cheaper than issuing a recall and rectify the inherent error. May be they are scared of the image, which is inexistent till date.
They have already recalled many of the Enjoys and replaced the faulty air intake. I suspect the new design is also not sufficient. If by any chance they need to increase the size of the air intake assembly. The is no room for an expanded design as the engine room is so cramped.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks