Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 22:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

Hey Foby, thanks for letting us at TBHP know of this occurrence. It does sound a bit suspicious ... they speed at which they replaced the engine and the hush-hush manner does not inspire much confidence. I myself am looking for a new diesel and had short-listed the Sail hatchback as it is spacious and has a good ride. Now, I am not so sure any more. Hope and pray that the new engine does not give you any grief again.

What a shame for a company that once ruled the automotive world.
Old 9th December 2014, 22:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
They have already recalled many of the Enjoys and replaced the faulty air intake. I suspect the new design is also not sufficient. If by any chance they need to increase the size of the air intake assembly. The is no room for an expanded design as the engine room is so cramped.
It is hard to digest that one of the biggest players in the global automotive scene like GM is unable to rectify an issue effectively and needs to resort to replacing the engine. Even much smaller players like Suzuki and Tata are able to provide much more reliable and durable configuration using the same MJD engine!

I feel sorry for all the Enjoy owners with low average running who might encounter this issue after the warranty has expired. Looks like they are in for a nasty shock!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 07:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

That's startling! The fast turnaround indicates that the dealers have been given directives on this regard by Chevy. Warranty replacements for big ticket items ought to take more time. I too think the dealer should have informed you before plonking in a brand new engine on your car.

And please update the new engine' number in the registration certificate. Very important!
Old 10th December 2014, 10:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
A faulty air intake design/capacity will lead to turbo sucking in oil into the intake manifold, burning it, and eventually emptying the oil reservoir, and damaging the engine.

The engine is from Fiat and is reliable. But, I suspect the air intake plumbing design by Chevrolet is faulty, and hence they are replacing engines.
How they are related sir, Air & Oil doesn't comes to contact with oil each other in turbo & contact happens in the combustion chamber only. As long as there is sufficient clearance between piston & cylinders burning of oil doesn't happen.
Experts correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:00   #35
BHPian

Foby -

Good that Chevy did this to you without you undergoing much hassle. Now you can enjoy the newly transplanted heart and sure your vehicle will feel much younger now!

Couple of questions:

1. Did you ask them why the engine was replaced? What was the "real" issue which caused them to silently replace the engine?

2. Did they give a reason why they did not inform you before replacing the engine?

3. How they will help you get your paper work done - RTO, Insurance etc?

4. What are the warranty terms of the new engine?

5. With new engine in place, are they suggesting you to look for indicators periodically - Other than the on-board visual indicators - like manual checking of oil level, hoses, oil drips etc.?

Have safe drives.

Enjoy the new wine in old bottle.
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 11:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have already recalled many of the Enjoys and replaced the faulty air intake. I suspect the new design is also not sufficient. If by any chance they need to increase the size of the air intake assembly. The is no room for an expanded design as the engine room is so cramped.
The GM-Enjoy was pulled out of the China factory, and the diesel engine jointly developed with FIAT was placed longitudinal to provide power to the rear wheels.

The FIAT motor is large for the available space / bay and GM thus compromised at several places to make it happen / perform in Enjoy.

The problem of premature engine failure has been observed in Enjoy while the Sail Sedan and Hatchback are not affected by this and are working alright.

Cheers !
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 11:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
1 cylinder is under compressed for an unknown reason. They have already parceled my faulty engine to Chevy factory, as informed by the SA

Hopefully the parceled engine can help avert this in future.
Old 10th December 2014, 12:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The engine might have been developed with Fiat, but the frequent problems & issues show that Chevrolet's manufacturing process is far poorer. Either by design or due to cost-cutting.
My friend works in tool manufacturing company who are the primary suppliers for Chevrolet, Nissan, Renault etc says that if they cannot meet the demands, most of the parts are smashed with hammer and chisel manually ( in parallel to the automated assembly line ) which results in poor quality of the internals.
Old 10th December 2014, 12:38   #39

My heart goes out to all unsuspecting Enjoy owners who have not seen the issue yet but might do so after the vehicle is out of warranty. I am not sure if GM would be generous enough to replace engines without charge in that case.
Can it be escalated to Chevy India bosses and get some kind of acknowledgement that this is a known issue and would be dealt with appropriately even if the vehicle is out of warranty?
Old 10th December 2014, 13:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

More instances of GM doing things in a hushed up manner, this time with Cruze. No official recall.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ngine-bay.html (Chevrolet Cruze Recall in India (PVC bracket in the engine bay))

The only explanation I can think of is that the real culprits in the earlier fiasco regarding the Tavera's emissions were untouched and the ones sent out were just scapegoats.
Old 10th December 2014, 14:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASG View Post
How they are related sir, Air & Oil doesn't comes to contact with oil each other in turbo & contact happens in the combustion chamber only. As long as there is sufficient clearance between piston & cylinders burning of oil doesn't happen.
Experts correct me if I'm wrong.
In a good condition engine, air and oil doesn't come into contact anywhere. Even in the combustion chamber, where fuel and air mixture burn.

The shaft of the turbo with the turbines, is lubricated with engine oil. If the intake plumbing is not sufficient enough, the compressor side will suck oil through the bushes. Just like when the bushes are shot (Noticed oil in the intercooler?).

This oil is taken along with the intake air to the engine, and is burnt. After so many kilometers, the engine oil will be completely sucked through the turbo and the sump will run dry, damaging the engine permanently.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 15:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quick update :- I have completed around 350 kilometers with the new engine and the oil color has not yet changed. The ride is smooth though.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update :- I have completed around 350 kilometers with the new engine and the oil color has not yet changed. The ride is smooth though.
Thanks for sharing! I can see from the thread that you're not the only one who's faced this issue. Hoping Chevy has taken this seriously! Wish you hassle free miles on it.

HR.
Old 10th December 2014, 16:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Earlier when their SAIL diesel twins had an issue they stopped the production for 3 months or so, GM never disclosed the actual problem with SAIL twins although it was suspected to be oil leakage. Now they have a issue with Enjoy, diesel version. They just wanted to have a diesel car on the road in no-time and plonked the 1.3L engine into these vehicles which were primarily made for petrol versions. I doubt if enough testing was done with diesel version, the packaging of components inside the engine bay also needs a re-look. They now may change engine free of cost under warranty but what after 2-3 years, who is going to bear the cost of engine replacement and will it be worth doing it?
Oil is the lifeline of a turbo bearing, with this kind of leak the turbo will blow off, a thorough inspection of air intake line can throw light on the oil leak. It will be interesting to compare the oil drain of turbo with the old and new engine, any change to the piping?

Last edited by deehunk : 10th December 2014 at 16:30. Reason: add info
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
About the serial number, They embossed my current engine number to the brand new engine block. I confirmed it myself. So no cases of RTO formalities.
Hi
I don't think that its legal to do so. Have they(dealer) consulted with the RTO authorities before embossing the engine number. I think its another fraudulent practice by Chevy that is going to surface up in a few months.
Anyways keeping other things apart congrats for the new engine and happy mile munching.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks