Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 17:02   #46
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASG View Post
How they are related sir, Air & Oil doesn't comes to contact with oil each other in turbo & contact happens in the combustion chamber only. As long as there is sufficient clearance between piston & cylinders burning of oil doesn't happen.
Experts correct me if I'm wrong.
Another insight and recommended idling rules to keep turbos in top shape.

http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/i...o-charged-cars

Last edited by Srikanthan : 10th December 2014 at 17:05.
Old 11th December 2014, 00:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Oil level falls, goes in for service, comes back with NEW engine!

At a loss of words! This is unheard of!
Extremely, extremely suspicious why Chevy is quietly replacing engines on its own accord!

Personally IMO I would stay with the car if its had such serious issues. IMPO a car does deserve atleast that much attention.

I'd recommend one ALWAYS oversees oil change & always be consulted for permission before any changes/replacements are done. Its your car.

If the engine oil went so very low while running, then there is SURE to be extensive engine damage, but in such cases other car makers IMMEDIATELY wash their hands off saying its the customers responsibility to check engine oil regularly.

Basically, as long as a car leaves the ASC with oil at normal levels, company does not take responsibility. Chevrolet is definitely hiding something. EVEN in the ideal world I don't think SA's would be SO honest & companies SO accommodating.

Q) What kind of warranty does this replaced engine come with?

IMO Don't lay back thinking its over. You should PLEASE dig deeper, find the reason this happened, and demand that Chevy gives you fresh Engine warranty.

What if this happens again due to a possible design error of the car, causing damage that you cannot possibly prevent !?

After warranty you could be forced to foot such a bill for no fault of yours !

Worse still, not meaning to cause panic, but IMO you should start seeing & researching into why this happened, because god forbid if this happens again, it really could turn out quite dangerous at highway speeds.

Drive safe.
Regards!
Old 11th December 2014, 09:55   #48
BHPian

I am used to reading and writing "congratulations on the new car. This is a first time for me,"congratulations on the new engine" :-) A question, what do they do of the replaced engine? Will they service it and use it in any car? or it goes back to the company?
Dieselritzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
I am used to reading and writing "congratulations on the new car. This is a first time for me,"congratulations on the new engine" :-) A question, what do they do of the replaced engine? Will they service it and use it in any car? or it goes back to the company?
The 1.3 TDCi has been duly couriered to GM India, for further analysis.

This issue is recurring, as has been said before. A certain Enjoy in Kerela, has been running on its third engine since new, as has been said before.

But, what is really shocking is- How the hell did they have an all new engine, peti-packed, ready? For such a slow moving component (Engines are overhauled, seldom replaced), the replacement was simply- Quick!

Though, given the circumstances, you normally hear of such engines being overhauled (A new block, pistons, rings, lapping of the valves).

A new motor, Foby, a new motor! Don't forget to thank them for it!
Old 11th December 2014, 14:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

But, what is really shocking is- How the hell did they have an all new engine, peti-packed, ready? For such a slow moving component (Engines are overhauled, seldom replaced), the replacement was simply- Quick!
Even I asked the same question to my service adviser and the reply was 'Since they had already done 2 engine replacements for other 2 Enjoys the Chevy India has given them an engine as buffer to their inventory'.

At the time when the issue occurred the service manager from Trivandrum was attending a managers meeting in Chennai which was organized by Chevy India. That helped my adviser to escalate the things on time and get a replacement engine. The transplant was done overnight with in few hours and very next day I went to inspect the vehicle. After I confirmed the engine is new, they did the ECU tweaks and I fired the new engine. With in 4 days the vehicle was ready for delivery. But I asked my adviser to test it for first 100 kilometers and I took the delivery after 5 more days.
Old 11th December 2014, 14:39   #51
BHPian

They must be anticipating this issue across the lot, calling for a massive recall would mean a bad reputation and a much higher cost. hence, whoever approaches with an issue, lets give them a new engine. Thats my guess of how the engine was replaced in such a short time.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 18:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

The 15K kms oil change (per sales material) was one of the reasons (cash discount compared to Maruti Ddis line up was other) I got my Sail UVA Tdci.

During the 1st free service they promptly changed the oil change cycle to 7.5K (I would anyways have done it at 6ish), but it was a bad move from the company!

Now I get to know of these horror stories of Enjoy Tdcis getting free engine replacements.

Not good, definetly not good news for Chevy Owners :(
Old 12th December 2014, 18:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

It is really high time that we should escalate this matter. Can some one help me to do a CEO level escalation.

The service interval reduction is unacceptable. I feel it as a sales gimmick, execution of an organized plan.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The service interval reduction is unacceptable. I feel it as a sales gimmick, execution of an organized plan.
Looks like it's a common strategy across vendors. Tata also did this with the Manza QJT initial lot (same Fiat engine). It was sold with a claimed service interval of 15k (if I'm not mistaken). Later on, the interval was reduced to 10,000 kms. That's the only way ASCs make money, I guess.
Old 2nd February 2016, 00:43   #55
BHPian

Well, I feel like an intruder here, but I have a Chevrolet Enjoy Petrol !!

I have had numerous issues over the last 1.5 years of ownership, but the way SC Auto (Chevy workshop in Thane) has handled things has been amazing.

I really think, Chevy were in a big hurry to launch the Enjoy when the Ertiga came into the market and they've done quite a bad job of it.

Although, I love the feel of the car, I have faced the following issues and I thank my starts for having taken CPCO (Free warranty and service schedule for 3 years)
1) In the 6th month, the AC blower stopped working - It needed replacement - No reason given but was replaced
2) in the 8th month, a strange problem came through where the ecm made the engine rev at 5000rpm continuously - The ECM needed to be RESET - Just like we restart computers !!
3) 18 months done - My rpm meter got stuck and although the engine starts revving to 5000rpm when the clutch is pressed. The rpm comes back down soon though, - Car goes to the service center and a) the Instrument cluster and b) complete wire harness is replaced Free of Cost
The Service center had also ordered for an ECM which they later found to be ok. This took 24 days at the workshop due to delay of arrival of parts from chevy !

I don't really know how to keep the car "fit and fine"..

The only savior is the service center where the staff is extremely customer friendly.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:44   #56
BHPian

Chevrolet Enjoy: Power loss + Engine warning light

I am one of those less fortunate people who owns a Chevrolet Enjoy (D). Other than the incredible 16+ KMPL in city and 24+ KMPL on the highway, the car is a very mediocre automobile. Nothing exciting about it. Has no power, no look, no great ergonomics. Still not able to figure out why I bought this in the first place around 3 yrs ago... wait I do remember - it could carry 7 ppl and cost only 10L . But all said n done the car has never given me any real trouble till recently. Workhorse that it is, has done around 60k kms in 3 years. Other than regular service at Sundaram Chevy/Raghav's Ignite and Tyre changes, no real problems.

But the for the last few months on and off the Engine warning light comes on and whenever this happens there is terrible loss of engine power, the car would only crawl. Both Sundaram Chevy and Raghav at Ignite have not been able to identify the problem. Both of them scanned with using laptop and reset it which resolve the problem for a week or 10 days. What could be the problem? How to resolve this. I am not planning to change the car for the next couple of years unless this is a major problem. Pls help me.
Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 05:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Power loss + Engine warning light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
there is terrible loss of engine power, the car would only crawl. Both Sundaram Chevy and Raghav at Ignite have not been able to identify the problem. Both of them scanned with using laptop and reset it which resolve the problem for a week or 10 days. What could be the problem? How to resolve this. I am not planning to change the car for the next couple of years unless this is a major problem. Pls help me.
How is the driveability in first and second gear? How many km's have you driven? First suspect will be the injectors, second a faulty MAF sensor and if not it can be the turbo assembly. I know a friend whose Optra had a similar issue and when the ECM was opened, there was a problem with the PCB and ECM was detecting only 3 injectors.

Last edited by deehunk : 25th January 2017 at 06:11. Reason: add info
Old 25th January 2017, 06:36   #58
BHPian

I suppose the power loss after the engine check light comes on, is the car getting in to 'Limp mode'. The engine check light would flash for a few times and then the engine RPM would drop to about 1000. There would be no response to throttle inputs. I faced this issue on my Ford Figo Diesel for about six months. It has usually related to faulty functioning of the ECU or in case of Ford the Power Control Module (PCM) as they call it. In my Figo initially they tried resetting and updating the ECU software and the vehicle was running fine for a while, but the problem recurred. After multiple visits trying to reset the ECU failed, finally replaced it during 40K km service. Cost was about 45K. Luckily my car was in extended warranty, so most of the expenses where covered.

One more reason could be a faulty Throttle Position Sensor, but I doubt it. An OBD scan for the error codes at the service centre will reveal the correct reason.

Here is a link about limp mode http://grego.ca/limp.htm

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th January 2017 at 07:07. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 25th January 2017, 07:43   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Both of them scanned with using laptop and reset it which resolve the problem for a week or 10 days. What could be the problem?
None of the dealers have gone to the root of the problem to really find the cause for the Check Engine Light (CEL). They should scan and solve the issue rather than just a simple reset.

Doing a reset, is like pushing the dirt under the carpet and not out of the house.

If they only reset the issue will reappear. Try and get yourself an OBD-II reader and diagnose it yourself or at least do let us know the DTC appearing in the scan. Chevy is useless in solving issues.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th May 2017 at 10:41. Reason: Too many typos in the post. Please review before posting.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 08:50   #60
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy: Power loss + Engine warning light

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Doing a reset, just like pushing the under the carpet and not out of the house.
The same thing happened to me Sir. The service center guys where clueless about the root cause. They did not share the error codes also. I got an OBD II Bluetooth scanner for diagnosing myself using the Torque App, but for some reason it was not working on my Figo. But the adapter works fine on my father's Ecosport though.

The service manager suspected water seepage inside. Anyways, doing an ECU change at 40K kilometers did not sound good to me. Root cause is to be found out whether the problem is due to faulty sensors or with the ECU itself.

Most Viewed