Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 17:18   #1

A/C Condenser slightly deformed - Do I need to replace it?

Hi guys, today I took my car to the service station where they found that the condenser was damaged. I took some photos. Can someone please assess the extent of the damage and let me know if I need to replace it?

I guess there is no major damage because AC still works and it wouldn't if the gas was leaking because of the damage. I think I hit a speed breaker or a rock or something. Please help :(
Attached Thumbnails
A/C Condenser slightly deformed - Do I need to replace it?-img20141209wa0006.jpg  

A/C Condenser slightly deformed - Do I need to replace it?-img20141209wa0008.jpg  

Old 9th December 2014, 18:42   #2
BHPian

re: A/C Condenser slightly deformed - Do I need to replace it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanstar View Post
Hi guys, today I took my car to the service station where they found that the condenser was damaged. I took some photos. Can someone please assess the extent of the damage and let me know if I need to replace it?

I guess there is no major damage because AC still works and it wouldn't if the gas was leaking because of the damage. I think I hit a speed breaker or a rock or something. Please help :(
Hello Oceanstar,

Absolutely don't worry about it, slight deformation in the condenser is normal. As long as the A/C in working fine, don't worry at all. Perhaps b/w the gap place some form.

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 18:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hello Oceanstar,

Absolutely don't worry about it, slight deformation in the condenser is normal. As long as the A/C in working fine, don't worry at all. Perhaps b/w the gap place some form.

Amit
Thanks Amit, that's what I thought too. My logic: In a home window AC, the fins get bent all the time and the AC still works perfectly. So I assumed the same to be true for a car. Anyway, the service station guys were trying make me pay for a new one saying AC will not work without it or that in future it may get spoiled.

And yes, I have AC problems but those were there even before this condenser got damaged so I don't think there is any connection between my existing AC problem and the condenser damage.

Last edited by Oceanstar : 9th December 2014 at 18:50.
Old 9th December 2014, 19:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Drive through the night on highways infested by butterflies and other insects and you will realize the extent of damage to the condensor fins.

Last 40 days, I did 3 trips to Pune and back (1700 kms each) and mostly through the night for almost half the distance each way and as a practice when I open the Air filter element, I could find dead flies under the filter.

The condensor too had a lot of dead flies pasted flat with few fins bent. Used a typical kitchen spoon's end (Kids size) to straighten a few bent ones.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th December 2014 at 19:20.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 11:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Only if you find ac not cooling properly, and thereafter you realize that the gas has leaked from the condenser, would you need to replace it.

VW grease monkeys are doing their usual trick: Trying to earning big money for their bosses (who will buy the next Audi from your money).
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed