Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2016, 15:49   #106
BHPian

Re: My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
In an attempt to clean up the wiring harness below the dashboard and mount two 4 inch speakers at the front of the car, project "dashboard removal" was undertaken last evening.

Shall share updates in due course ..

Tips for easy removal were supplied by fellow bhp-ian ilangop
Hi Anirban,
You can also remove the air distributor (the fibre piece with 4 vents) to gain access to the filter element in front of the evaporator (Cooling coil). In my case the filter was fully clogged and the AC mechanic got rid of it and the air flow is excellent.
The design flaw here is there is no filter at the suction side. You may take this opportunity to improvise a filtering method at the suction side.

While putting back the vents and other AC parts you can surround the hose couplings with a thin layer of sponge (No need to head for a rexin shop now. You can find one inside a brand new formal shirt packing). This way any air leak could be fixed. To me it appears like the factory fitted carpet material is good enough for thermal insulation. Just attend to a few places like the entry for the AC Aluminium pipes and near the pedal brackets. You may also think of extending a ground connection for the AC blower directly from the battery -ve itself.

Last edited by ilangop : 30th March 2016 at 15:54.
ilangop is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 15:01   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
You can also remove the air distributor (the fibre piece with 4 vents) to gain access to the filter element in front of the evaporator (Cooling coil). In my case the filter was fully clogged and the AC mechanic got rid of it and the air flow is excellent.
Hi Ilango,
In my case, a few of the screws which held the air distributor in place were located at such an obtuse angle, that accessing them using a miniature screw driver proved impossible. Hence, I had to pass up the opportunity.

Thankfully, the air flow seems adequate.

Quote:
The design flaw here is there is no filter at the suction side. You may take this opportunity to improvise a filtering method at the suction side.
Fitting a filter at the suction end seems a bit difficult. It would have meant removal of the entire AC unit. I' ll try to figure out a way to do something about it later, hopefully, which would render filter replacement a relatively easier process.

Quote:
While putting back the vents and other AC parts you can surround the hose couplings with a thin layer of sponge (No need to head for a rexin shop now. You can find one inside a brand new formal shirt packing). This way any air leak could be fixed. To me it appears like the factory fitted carpet material is good enough for thermal insulation. Just attend to a few places like the entry for the AC Aluminium pipes and near the pedal brackets. You may also think of extending a ground connection for the AC blower directly from the battery -ve itself.
Thankfully, it was not required as all openings in the firewall through which the plumbing passed were sealed off with rubber grommets/appeared well insulated.

BTW, I managed to fit everything together starting early morning today (yesterday evening was devoted to watching the India vs WI cricket match).

My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0387.jpgMy Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0386.jpgMy Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0385.jpg

The 4 inch speakers have also been fitted.

My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0390.jpg
My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0394.jpg
My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0389.jpg

The undersides of the bonnet have also been lined with heatlon sheeting.

My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-dsc_0393.jpg
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 18:21   #108
BHPian

Quote:

The undersides of the bonnet have also been lined with heatlon sheeting.
What is the purpose of fitting heatlon sheets on the bonnet? I doubt they would help in any significant sound deadening. And the NISSAN A12 is already a silent powerplant except the retrofitted radiator fan.
Old 1st April 2016, 18:34   #109
BHPian

The intent is to make the car "super silent" and secondly, to prevent the silicone body filler and paint underneath the bonnet from flaking off.
Old 13th April 2017, 20:07   #110
Senior - BHPian

What is the model number of the MIKUNI Carburretor which came in 118NE??
Old 11th July 2017, 12:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The intent is to make the car "super silent" and secondly, to prevent the silicone body filler and paint underneath the bonnet from flaking off.
Sir, your car looks super good. Kudos to all restoration that you've done . I saw the cybercity sticker on your car. If you work inside Magarpatta city, i'd be happy to meet up with you and see your NE118 as I do come to Magarpatta city for work.

I'm sorry that I couldn't PM you, so this message.

Thanks,
pranavGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 12:48   #112
BHPian

Where did you source the rubber seals? I am after the seals for the door, bonnet and Boot.
Old 12th July 2017, 21:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
Sir, your car looks super good. Kudos to all restoration that you've done . I saw the cybercity sticker on your car. If you work inside Magarpatta city, i'd be happy to meet up with you and see your NE118 as I do come to Magarpatta city for work.

I'm sorry that I couldn't PM you, so this message.

Thanks,
Hi Pranav,

Yes, my organization has offices in Magarpatta. We can certainly meet up one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodoctor View Post
Where did you source the rubber seals? I am after the seals for the door, bonnet and Boot.
Autodoctor,

The seals used to be available at Kalpana Motors, Nanapeth.
In case these are not available readily, they can source it on your behalf.
Old 12th July 2017, 21:31   #114
BHPian

Thank you.i will try them.
I am based in Kerala. Any one here knows reliable shop to get 118ne parts?
Old 8th September 2017, 12:14   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
What is the model number of the MIKUNI Carburretor which came in 118NE??
Per an old UCAL catalogue, the part number is

24-30DIDS-200

My Premier 118NE Journey: Mechanical restoration in process-118ne-carb.jpg
bikertillidie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed