Team-BHP - 800 Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   800 Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/15939-800-queries.html)

I have a 1998 800 run 64500 km.Its a carburated 800.Its almost 8 and half years old now.We were planning to sell this car and buy an alto or zen but all plans have been shelved now and we are keeping this 800 itself for atleast 3 more years.I had queries regarding how long will the engine still sustain itself etc etc.The service engineering told me that maruti 800 engines need an overhaul at 1 lakh km.So before it reaches 1 lakh km at say 85 thousand km would it have lost most of its compression and power?Will the performance deteriorate a lot in the comming kilometers?
My running is around 8 thousand km per year with frequent outstation trips to bangalore,gujrat and my car runs mainly on the highways.
I ll list out the jobs carried on in the car.
1)Left side axle is 7 thousand km old.
2)Suspension parts+lower arms+steering arms replaced around 15000 km back
3)distributor and iginition coil is new
4)clutch plate+pressure plate is 18000 km old
5)New brake discs at front+pads+back brake cylinders+liners+adjusting screws just 1000 km old.
6)Cross member in the front was replaced as it had rusted
7)Gearbox Oil seal was replaced 4000km back
8)Engine was flushed 2000 km back and engine has been using castrol magnatec since 15000 km with oil change every 6 months or 5000km.Before that it was using normal servo engine oil but oil change was done every 6 months or 5000 km that time too.
9)New tyres gonna be fixed in sometime as gonna keep the car.Ram suggested 145/80/r 12 against the regular radials u get of size 145/70/r 10)Wt say guys go with which tyre size and which company.Give me some resonable priced company which is not heavy on my pocket.
And also after i got the brake job done i am facing this pecular problem in the braking department.When there are rains outside and the climate is cool the braking is fantastic but when its hot in the afteroon with dry weather the braking effort required on the pedal increases as compared to when its cold and raining.Why is it like this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum
I have a 1998 800 run 64500 km.Its a carburated 800.Its almost 8 and half years old now.We were planning to sell this car and buy an alto or zen but all plans have been shelved now and we are keeping this 800 itself for atleast 3 more years.I had queries regarding how long will the engine still sustain itself etc etc.The service engineering told me that maruti 800 engines need an overhaul at 1 lakh km.So before it reaches 1 lakh km at say 85 thousand km would it have lost most of its compression and power?Will the performance deteriorate a lot in the comming kilometers?
My running is around 8 thousand km per year with frequent outstation trips to bangalore,gujrat and my car runs mainly on the highways.

Cars Running primarily in the highways usually have better engine life than the cars running in the trecherous city roads, depending on your style of driving. If you dont wring out the last drop of power from the engine everytime you hit highway, most probably the engine is going to sail past the 1 lack km mark.
Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum
I ll list out the jobs carried on in the car.
1)Left side axle is 7 thousand km old.
2)Suspension parts+lower arms+steering arms replaced around 15000 km back
3)distributor and iginition coil is new
4)clutch plate+pressure plate is 18000 km old
5)New brake discs at front+pads+back brake cylinders+liners+adjusting screws just 1000 km old.
6)Cross member in the front was replaced as it had rusted
7)Gearbox Oil seal was replaced 4000km back
8)Engine was flushed 2000 km back and engine has been using castrol magnatec since 15000 km with oil change every 6 months or 5000km.Before that it was using normal servo engine oil but oil change was done every 6 months or 5000 km that time too.
9)New tyres gonna be fixed in sometime as gonna keep the car.Ram suggested 145/80/r 12 against the regular radials u get of size 145/70/r 10)Wt say guys go with which tyre size and which company.Give me some resonable priced company which is not heavy on my pocket.
And also after i got the brake job done i am facing this pecular problem in the braking department.When there are rains outside and the climate is cool the braking is fantastic but when its hot in the afteroon with dry weather the braking effort required on the pedal increases as compared to when its cold and raining.Why is it like this?

1) I suppose that was replaced due to normal wear and tear, so be prepared, in near future the right side will also need work.

2) I suppose the roads are qute good, so they are going to last another 25-30 k without needingany major work

3) no issues with them

4) Clutch plate/assembly usually lasts around 70 k, do you ride the clutch?? or use it frequently??check it out and the new set can make you sail past 1lac

8) How does the engine feel ??? Is it peppy as before??? Then it is healthy and will last for some time to come. You will be able to determine if it needs any work or not yourself. It will start to loose power, when its health gets down. and as time goes by it will detoriate.

Hey sumit thanks for the reply suggestions
1)nope i dont ride the clutch but the car has done lot of screeches,highspeed runs and highrpm races for about 20 thousand km.After which i went to bangalore and the car was hardly used.Although the engine feels awesome after the car comes from servcing after 2000 km or so of use it feels a little strained.Low rpm torque is amazing and i usually shift at around 1500 rpm and get to the 4th gear above 40 and the acceleration is good at that speed.
Also one thing i have set a benchmark to test the engine i remember when my car was in around 5 years old and in good conditon it used to touch 90 in 3rd gear and still does the same which shows the condition of the engine is more or less the same how it was some years back as if the power had deteriorted it would have not touched the same speed.This is wht i feel.Correct me if i am wrong.
Although the engine is not peppy as before the low rpm torque is still the same just the higher rpm run has become a bit thrashy.

if the car had proper oil changes and was not revved to the limit every morning just to warm it up... it should do much more than 1L kms...
Our 84 model did 2.2L before any issue with the engine.

Dear Humyum,

you can try Goodyear GPS 2 radials of standard size for M800(I dont remember the numbering). Dont try oversize, not worth it on 800 IMHO. These tyres give good ride, braking and cornering performance and shud last abt 40 k on highways. Try the tyre shop on the corner at traffic crossing at JC rd.(if i remember correctly).

Drive safe.

Humyum, dude if you do high speed driving on the highway then oversizing is very much reccomended. The original 140 section tires are weedy go for atleast the next upsize, 155/60R12. The braking and the grip improves much. I'm using 165 Potenzas on my 800 and the braking and the grip it provides is very very good. I was using Goodyear GPS2 155/60/R12 before i got the Potenza.

Yep Sankar my car most of the time runs on the highways at high speeds but i am happy with the grip the car is providing with these 145/70/r12s.Ram on other thread had mentioned about fixing 145/80/r12s the one used in the zen and alto.Good year and potenzas will be comparitively costly right?i am lookin for tyres in the range of 1400 bucks(+,-100).
One more thing i mentioned about the braking problem i am having right now in the car someone please put a light on what can it be.During Rains and cold climate outside the braking is perfect but when its hot in the afternoon and dry weather outside the brake pedal requires more effort.Why is it like that?