Team-BHP - Esteem steering getting very hard in the afternoon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Esteem steering getting very hard in the afternoon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/15956-esteem-steering-getting-very-hard-afternoon.html)

Dear boarders, I am facing a very peculiar problem with my Esteem steering for last 2-3 days. When I drive in the afternoon, steering feels very hard and it takes lot of effort. But during morning and evening, it feels normal. Does excessively hot afternoon of Delhi have something to do with this? I have yet to take my car to workshop but wanted some views from BHPians. BTW, I got my car serviced last month only and it did not show any problem after that.

Is your car equipped with Power Steering????:)

How old is your car? May be its time to change the Power Steering Fluid. Itmay have been contaminated with rain water during monsoon or during service. Temp. changes the viscosity of the Power Steering Fluid. May be its not responding that well to temp changes. details can be found at http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/epc.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince85
Is your car equipped with Power Steering????:)

No, it's not equipped with power steering. My car is 3 years old and has done around 50K Kms.

Sorry for goin offtopic but it has got something to do with heat so i am putting forth this question.My brakes become weak when its hot outside and when the weather is cool and its raining outside the brakes are just perfect..but only when its hot climate outside the brakes become weak

May be we could change the subject of the thread to 'effect of heat on working of parts'

Like humyun, have noticed that early morning braking is extra effective [just after I start, and until a few uses of the brakes]. At other times it is normal [not weak]. I drive a Sumo Victa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor
Like humyun, have noticed that early morning braking is extra effective [just after I start, and until a few uses of the brakes]. At other times it is normal [not weak]. I drive a Sumo Victa.

Same here... Alto & WagonR

Also when its hot... the clutch becomes a little unsmooth.

I guess its all normal...

Quote:

Originally Posted by atulrastogi
Dear boarders, I am facing a very peculiar problem with my Esteem steering for last 2-3 days. When I drive in the afternoon, steering feels very hard and it takes lot of effort. But during morning and evening, it feels normal. Does excessively hot afternoon of Delhi have something to do with this? I have yet to take my car to workshop but wanted some views from BHPians. BTW, I got my car serviced last month only and it did not show any problem after that.

it is probably something to do with ur rubber...how old are ur tyres & how many kms have they done & what tyres are they ???? are u checking the pressure regularly ??? what psi do u maintain in ur tyres ???

Do you park the car in the sun. If yes I have the same issue after parking the car in the sun the steering seems to be jammed . And also makes noise while turning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
Do you park the car in the sun. If yes I have the same issue after parking the car in the sun the steering seems to be jammed . And also makes noise while turning.

Yes, it is parked in open Sun. I am still not finding time to take it to workshop and living with this peculiar problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atulrastogi
When I drive in the afternoon, steering feels very hard and it takes lot of effort. But during morning and evening, it feels normal.

Check your tyre pressure, esp. front tyre pressure! When your car is parked in the sun or on a hot surface, the rubber tends to soften slightly, if your tyre pressure is low, the steering gets hard for non Power Steering cars.

Maintain the reccomended tyre pressure or slightly higher tyre pressure to compensate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum
My brakes become weak when its hot outside and when the weather is cool and its raining outside the brakes are just perfect..but only when its hot climate outside the brakes become weak

Your brake pads may be glazed... this happens on my car too but getting the brakes "serviced" (they rub the pads with sandpaper) solves the problem.

- T u r b o C -