Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 22:22   #76

re: 6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!

Well Friends, such obnoxious engine repair costs could be true for most German Cars. I own a VW Vento TDI, with my 4 year warranty honeymoon close to its end. I went for my Clutch replacement @Viraj Automobiles at Noida and had a long chat with the service advisor. I wanted to know what it costs to get the engine done in case of issues.

He indicated to me
1. There are no engine repair options
2. The only option is to replace the entire engine unit (that comes with injectors). An estimate of full engine rebuilt was indicated as follows
- Full Engine with injectors ~ 4.5 Lacs
- Turbo 1.5 Lacs
- Full Clutch Set with Flywheel Replacement ~ .5 Lacs
- Misc Costs (Common Rail) ~0.5 Lacs
- Labor Costs ~ 0.5 Lacs

That brings to a total of 7 to 7.5 Lacs for a full engine rebuild . To that my reaction was
Does Volkswagen sell the new car for free with its Engine

So options left for me post warranty in case of Engine Repairs
- Option 1: Scrap the Car
- Option 2: Replace the car before the expiry of the warranty
- Option 3: Look for external solutions, but nothing less that 3 - 3.5 Lacs, I doubt the reliability

I am so Dead with the thought of Engine Repair post Warranty
AUTO_ZING is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 22:25   #77
BHPian

Sejal motors is good. Very good. Check if he will rebuild an skoda.
We had my cousins optra towed out of the dealership and taken to Sejal

Done at 1/4th the cost if I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umashankar View Post
zombiedriver,

Check with Sejal Motors. Mr. Suresh is the owner. I am sure he will give a decent quote and also give your proper advise/suggestion.

Address: #41, Ferns City RD Doddanekkundi Outer Ring RD, Marathahalli, Bangalore - 560037. Phone: +91-80-28533367, +91-9945207551.

This is opposite to total mall on outer ring road, next to EMC.

All the best.

Regards

Uma Shankar
genesis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 22:26   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Fabia has a initial oil pressure drop indication in Yellow colour which when glows asks to check the level and red indication as the dangerous level. Possibly a multi-point switch.

Exactly, i just saw that through page 21-to-23 here
http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/worldwid...ers-manual.pdf

This is my take on this subject. I think this is more than what meets the eye. I hope the zombiedriver responds with photograph.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3623376
Old 14th January 2015, 22:36   #79
BHPian

I feel you should have waited and posted this issue only after visit by the surveyor and response from your insurance company. My worry is that if the insurance company was to read this post, even if there was a remote chance of they approving your claim, now they may not given that you yourself are pessimistic.

Moreover you have shared name of your friend and copy of the bill you received from the workshop.

Sorry but I thought it was important for me to highlight this angle.
Old 14th January 2015, 22:56   #80

zombiedriver,

Even my sister faced a similar story when her VW Polo engine got siezed. But we got it serviced in Bosch authorized service centre which was relatively less than the price quoted by the showroom guys. We totally spent 250000 INR for engine rebuild with replacement of Turbocharger.

Attached find the breakup. Let me know if you need any help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img_0390.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img_0394.jpg  

6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!-img_0396.jpg  

Rohith99 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 23:02   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_ZING View Post
Well Friends, such obnoxious engine repair costs could be true for most German Cars. I own a VW Vento TDI, with my 4 year warranty honeymoon close to its end. I went for my Clutch replacement @Viraj Automobiles at Noida and had a long chat with the service advisor. I wanted to know what it costs to get the engine done in case of issues.

He indicated to me
1. There are no engine repair options
2. The only option is to replace the entire engine unit (that comes with injectors). An estimate of full engine rebuilt was indicated as follows
- Full Engine with injectors ~ 4.5 Lacs
- Turbo 1.5 Lacs
- Full Clutch Set with Flywheel Replacement ~ .5 Lacs
- Misc Costs (Common Rail) ~0.5 Lacs
- Labor Costs ~ 0.5 Lacs

That brings to a total of 7 to 7.5 Lacs for a full engine rebuild . To that my reaction was
Does Volkswagen sell the new car for free with its Engine

So options left for me post warranty in case of Engine Repairs
- Option 1: Scrap the Car
- Option 2: Replace the car before the expiry of the warranty
- Option 3: Look for external solutions, but nothing less that 3 - 3.5 Lacs, I doubt the reliability

I am so Dead with the thought of Engine Repair post Warranty
A passenger car engine is designed to last the entire lifetime of the vehicle. Engine seizures are not that common. Even if thats a Honda/Toyota, it will cost you that much. One of my known got his amaze repaired after an accident. The whole repair along with engine overhaul was around a lakh less than Ex-showroom.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 23:38   #82
BHPian

Dear Zombiedriver it's really sad to hear about your friend's story!
I think if insurance guys are not paying for damages because these damages are caused by ignorance, then company should bear the cost because this happened because of faulty oil pressure light.
Nowadays most of the cars have oil pressure indicators installed but if your friends car had a faulty one and did not show, then this damage occurred because of manufacturing defect rather than your friend's ignorance.
In any case either insurance company or the car company should bear the cost of the repairs.

I would suggest you to let the surveyor do the survey, it's well and good if it's in your favour, and if it's not then proceed to consumer court and side by side escalate the same to Skoda HQ, and make them realise that this is the very reason for their dipping sales in India.
And finally if nothing works then get a second hand fabia engine from total damage cars and get the things working!!
Old 15th January 2015, 09:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

These guys were really fast in stripping down the engine even before the insurance could come through right? If the piston has not welded itself to the block and if there is no damage to the connecting rod, ask them to put back the engine and check if it will fire up.

I find it hard to believe no warning lights showed up. I have seen cars come to a seize. You hear the knocking of the engine and you stall. Give it some time to cool down and the engine fires up without a problem. However, this can depend from person to person. Sometimes you sense a seize coming and you pull over and sometimes there is no hope.

I don't understand why the entire exhaust manifold and turbocharger need replacement. Probably comes as a kit. Suggests even the turbo shaft had packed up due to no oil.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 09:15   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
These guys were really fast in stripping down the engine even before the insurance could come through right?
Skoda did ask the customer for permission to rip-open the engine (Cost top open and check the engine is 20K). With an 'Aye' from the customer, Skoda just jumped to work!

Quote:
If the piston has not welded itself to the block and if there is no damage to the connecting rod, ask them to put back the engine and check if it will fire up.
I don't think Skoda would put in so much of free effort on the car. They'll make a quick buck of this case.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe no warning lights showed up. I have seen cars come to a seize. You hear the knocking of the engine and you stall. Give it some time to cool down and the engine fires up without a problem.
As the sump broke off and oil drained away completely, chances of engine restarting is bleak. Cylinder wall plus piston would have got damaged.

AFAIK there could have been a low oil pressure light which glew on the dash along with the temperature needle going to Red after a few minutes. But the driver didn't notice any such issues. Surprising!

Quote:
I don't understand why the entire exhaust manifold and turbocharger need replacement.
They are on a part changing spree. It more looks like a car rebuild project.

Everything under the sun is being changed irrespective of its connection to the sump damage + seizure.

God help Skoda and it's customers!

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th January 2015 at 09:18.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 09:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
But the driver didn't notice any such issues.
This is usually the case. That is why we have a dedicated thread on what to do when your engine over heats. We miss all the warning signs. The gradual climbing of the temperature needle goes unnoticed (should have been quite fast in this case).

As someone had highlighted in the over heating thread on the death of the temperature gauge, it makes sense. Provide a audio visual alert instead as we catch this faster. The question is, does that alert come up in time or is it too late.

I drive a Fiat. There are multiple audio alerts for low fuel. It starts screaming when you get too low on fuel too. Same goes for engine temperature and low oil pressure. I have not heard it but the manual suggests a lamp that lights up when the needle starts on the first segment for a hot engine. Audio alert too. Quite safe provided you don't push your luck.

There should be a lot of 1.6l tdi engines that should be a straight fit into the Fabia engine bay. Make it a road rocket.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th January 2015 at 09:34.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 09:38   #86
BHPian

Going through all the post I have seen people Skoda-bashing. Now I would like to know how many had actually completely rebuilt an entire engine in an ASC (irrespective of the manufacturer) without any insurance or warranty cover? From personal experience and like a few members posted above, irrespective of the manufacturer, rebuilding the whole engine in the ASC cost almost as much as the new car. So lets not go about Skoda-bashing for a practice that almost all companies follow and lets try helping out this gentleman out of this quicksand.
shekhar_gogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 09:43   #87
BHPian

Got a call from Skoda yesterday asking whether I'm planning for another car. I just said No. If I'd seen this story yesterday, would have said an emphatic No with this reason mentioned.

Really very sad to hear this. Daylight robbery at its best. I'm no expert, so no comments on the technical part.

Just one question, is there an insurance package which covers all these types of engine damages?
Old 15th January 2015, 09:52   #88
BANNED

These jokers are importing CBU engines, and do not want to know. Hit and kick seems to be the moto. Remember Skoda and VW are the same family, as are Audi and Porsche!
Old 15th January 2015, 10:05   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think Skoda would put in so much of free effort on the car. They'll make a quick buck of this case.
!
You're missing something here. Labour for such things is charged as "R/R" basis - remove and refit. Hence if they have charged for opening up the engine, its also their responsibility to put it back. Even a small part is charged on that basis, like the bumper. There is no separate charges for removing the bumper and putting it back, even if the bumper is being replaced. Hence, no question of refusing to fit it back. Sandeep's idea can be given a try, since some experiment is required before taking a 5L plunge or whatever.

Quote:

As the sump broke off and oil drained away completely, chances of engine restarting is bleak. Cylinder wall plus piston would have got damaged.
!
Quite surprised by this conclusion. The Skoda guys sometimes go the same route. Why not try?

Quote:

There should be a lot of 1.6l tdi engines that should be a straight fit into the Fabia engine bay. Make it a road rocket.
Quite a thing to be considered. Maybe the OP should check out some salvaged vehicles.

Coming to another aspect, its obvious that the sum of all the individual components and parts taken together will exceed the actual price of the car itself. Hence in this case, the different parts billed separately will give a sky high estimate. Why not completely replace the engine like how maruti offers a half engine or short block? IIRC a WagonR engine can be purchased fully built from the factory for 1-2L(somewhere between that). In the same way, I guess there should be an option of getting a new engine or at least half engine from factory.

Even the turbo could be left as it is now and suppose if it doesnt work as expected it could be either overhauled for a small cost. These spare part prices look heavenly. Anyways this isn't an insurance repair, so it wouldn't require changing everything at once.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th January 2015 at 10:08.
Old 15th January 2015, 10:10   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

You're missing something here. Labour for such things is charged as "R/R" basis - remove and refit.
They will rip it open but re-fit with the same enthusiasm is difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Quite surprised by this conclusion. The Skoda guys sometimes go the same route. Why not try?
Sirjee,

I just said the chances are low. I never said OP shouldn't try restarting using that technique. If it works money saved and car can be sold off as is!

IMHO, Please read the post before coming to a conclusion. No offence. Sorry for the OT!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks