Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2006, 12:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Viper If we get new pistons+new block+new connecting rods+new crankshaft.So what is left is the head+valves.
Will the head after around 1.2 or say 1.5 lakh kilometers run engine be in a condition to be used again in the new block wala engine?
Will the valves be in a condition to run another spell in the new engine?
What about the oil pump?Can it run again in the new engine without any problems or further overhauling?
Flywheel will it have to be replaced or the same old one will do?
Also i wanted to know that instead of using all the old parts which i above mentioned we buy all this new.How much will be the added expense.
thanks in advance..
Rohan
Old 15th August 2006, 12:57   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Viper If we get new pistons+new block+new connecting rods+new crankshaft.So what is left is the head+valves.
Will the head after around 1.2 or say 1.5 lakh kilometers run engine be in a condition to be used again in the new block wala engine?
What about the oil pump?Can it run again in the new engine without any problems or further overhauling?
Also i wanted to know that instead of using all the old parts which i above mentioned we buy all this new.How much will be the added expense.
thanks in advance..
Rohan
Hi,
Am not too sure of the prices you want but can say it will not be that high. The head can definitely be reused and the valves/guides/seals are best to be put new same goes for the oil pump/strainer.

Viper
Old 15th August 2006, 13:57   #18
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
If we get new pistons+new block+new connecting rods+new crankshaft..
IMO nothing new is needed if your car is serviced regularly with oil change in periodic intervals you can use same block,connecting rods,crankshaft only thing require is new crank&connecting bearings,piston rings, micropolishing crank & connecting journals (a machine shop guy or good turner can do that) block honing & checking compression.

Quote:
So what is left is the head+valves,Will the head after around 1.2 or say 1.5 lakh kilometers run engine be in a condition to be used again in the new block wala engine?
Quote:
Head should go fine but recommend new valves & springs with new valve seats, Camshaft profiles shuld be check for uneven wear (imp)

Quote:
A new oil pump=peace of mind.

Quote:
Keep the same old one

It would have been good enough when maruti meant by Brand new engine by giving complete new engine including head assembled from factory not the bottom half only in parts, imo that title is misleading & aimed for a quick buck !, changing Blocks pistons & con rods in a healthy engine is useless unless & until it is damaged due to some reasons.
Old 16th August 2006, 00:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Viper and Ford_Rocam thanks for your reply guys.I was having my bath when one more question cropped up in my head.If i buy a new head why not buy one which the housing for 12 valves.The one which is used in the 5 speed mpfi 800.Since everything in the engine construction is same the head will be same too just with a provision for 12 valves as compared to the 6 valves present in the older and as well the newer 800s.
Will fixing a 12 valve head be possible?If yes then valve timing should not be a problem as the mechanism is the same for running the valves in the 6 valve as well the 12 valves 800 engines.
In the carburated 800 will it increase the power?If yes approximately how much?
If we fix this in the current crop mpfi 800 which comes with a 6 valve engine if we fix the 12 valve thing would it make the 47 bhp the alto makes?
Sorry guys lots of questions but..
Thanks in advance
Rohan
Old 16th August 2006, 00:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Ford Rocam]
Quote:

It would have been good enough when maruti meant by Brand new engine by giving complete new engine including head assembled from factory not the bottom half only in parts, imo that title is misleading & aimed for a quick buck !, changing Blocks pistons & con rods in a healthy engine is useless unless & until it is damaged due to some reasons.
Cannot agree with you more man.The title is very much misleading and people with very less car knowlegde will easily get fooled by this.
Although you are way more qualifed then i m in this field would it not be better to change the block+pistons in a 1.5 lakh kilometer engine as the reboring or honning will call for an oversize piston and using an oversize piston will lead to a marginial increase in power but decrease in fuel efficiency.In the new block u get original spec engine..This is what i think kindly correct if wrong.
Old 16th August 2006, 00:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
how does one sort out the RTO formalitieis re: engine change
Very simple. You pay the 'required fees' (bribe) and the maruti showroom guys will take care. (bribe the RTO).

Even though I have never heard of such a scheme, I guess, you will get only the block and head... How much are the labor charges though?....cud be quite a bomb.
Old 16th August 2006, 01:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite

And i dont think this scheme is available in Delhi anyways..
No, its there in Faridabad so it should be the same in Delhi n NCR region
Old 16th August 2006, 10:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Cannot agree with you more man.The title is very much misleading and people with very less car knowlegde will easily get fooled by this.
Although you are way more qualifed then i m in this field would it not be better to change the block+pistons in a 1.5 lakh kilometer engine as the reboring or honning will call for an oversize piston and using an oversize piston will lead to a marginial increase in power but decrease in fuel efficiency.In the new block u get original spec engine..This is what i think kindly correct if wrong.
I never said reboring, overboring & honing are two different terms dont get confused with that, overbore is done mostly as a performance enhancement say eg you bore from 81mm to 84 mm in a 1.6 ltr engine so overall you increase your C.C from 1.6 to 1.7 ltr, so that you can pack more air & fuel for power, Honing is a process which done after overboring, its a surface finish operation which gives final finishing to bore since we are not overboring we just do honing process to have good tolerance & good piston ring seal.
Old 16th August 2006, 12:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Viper and Ford_Rocam thanks for your reply guys.I was having my bath when one more question cropped up in my head.If i buy a new head why not buy one which the housing for 12 valves.The one which is used in the 5 speed mpfi 800.Since everything in the engine construction is same the head will be same too just with a provision for 12 valves as compared to the 6 valves present in the older and as well the newer 800s.
Will fixing a 12 valve head be possible?If yes then valve timing should not be a problem as the mechanism is the same for running the valves in the 6 valve as well the 12 valves 800 engines.
If we fix this in the current crop mpfi 800 which comes with a 6 valve engine if we fix the 12 valve thing would it make the 47 bhp the alto makes?
Thanks in advance
Rohan
Hey ford and viper..what about this..?iska toh answer karo
Old 16th August 2006, 14:36   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Rohan
Hi Rohan,
Yes you can fit the MPFI head in the old block. You may not get exactly the same BHP increase as in a MPFI car but there will be a substantial improvement. All depends on the carburetion.

Viper
Old 16th August 2006, 15:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hey ford and viper..what about this..?iska toh answer karo
A person who has already done experimenting your option can answer you, its impossible to say "yes" on internet without trying it yourself, the 12v head is from MPFI engine where as old one is carburatted, You will need to compare both heads&manifold side by side & see if coolant & oil lines matches,timing belt, head bolts,the injectors holes,t.B, etc etc..
no harm in trying that but i will not recommend, this experiment will take your time & money & no gaurantee that it will work, the effort gone in should be worth while so think before you do anything.
Old 16th August 2006, 15:13   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
A person who has already done experimenting your option can answer you, its impossible to say "yes" on internet without trying it yourself, the 12v head is from MPFI engine where as old one is carburatted, You will need to compare both heads&manifold side by side & see if coolant & oil lines matches,timing belt, head bolts,the injectors holes,t.B, etc etc..
no harm in trying that but i will not recommend, this experiment will take your time & money & no gaurantee that it will work, the effort gone in should be worth while so think before you do anything.

Hey Ford,

Have already carried out the above mod. Works very well. No major hassles involved.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks