Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2006, 14:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asad7874
errrr..........well...:-D
Well! Man! i too got a WagonR recently... Did get an oppurtunity to open her up yet... GEts to 100 in thrid, that i know, and i took it to only 120 in fifth.. cause roads were no that good...

140 is a very decent speed, na?
Old 14th August 2006, 14:48   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well.. well.. well......

The wagonR certainly goes above 140... in 5th... but it needs space.
I have a 5.5year old wagonR with 155 tyres.. so if mine can do 140 on a 3km stretch of road .. a relatively new one can do more.

WagonR .. feels very comfy till about 120km/h.. after that its a bit risky... but again not more than what it would be in an other small car doing 130 on indian roads.

To set the record straight... WagonRs speedo is till 180km/h and not 160.

800DX has a 150km/h speedo and it does complete it.

I have genuinely heard of wagonRs doing 160 on the speedo... but that always 4th gear.
Old 14th August 2006, 15:02   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd
[...]
In any case, you really shouldn't be exceeding 120 in that thing... its a Wagon R after all, it might just take off or something. You're putting your own and (more importantly) other people's lives in danger.
I don't think it will take off, but anybody doing speeds like 140 kph in a Wagon R or Santro has to ensure that (a) Tyres are in good condition with at least recommended pressures or better still --over-inflated by 2-3 psi; tyre bursts/punctures can be fatal (b) Hard braking is a big no-no -- ensure that this situation will never arise -- car can skid off the road/roll over (c) No hard swerving -- could skid/roll over -- but you can switch lanes at fairly high speeds in these cars.

Of course wheel alignment/balancing should be checked and suspension should be in good shape.

As far as possible, one should stick to straight roads while doing 140+ in these vehicles-- on a curving road, hard braking can throw the car off course. I find that my Santro's rear wheels sometimes tend to lose grip and ask my permission to slide (especially on bumpy or muddy stretches) when I start to brake around bends -- I refuse by easing off on the brake pedal and using the Santro's outstanding power steering to keep the car on course. The Bridgestone S322 tyres make a huge racket under fast cornering, but grip the road well -- so there should be no need to brake while cornering provided you don't overspeed.

Under heavily rainy conditions, virtually invisible water puddles on the Expressway have made my Santro pull violently to the right at around 90-95 kph (really scary, with a huge noise when you hit the puddle and your view temporarily blinded by the water splashing up around your windscreeen) -- both times my instant reaction on the steering wheel (plus easing off on the throttle, but NOT braking) and the wonderful steering response of the Santro brought it back on course and saved my neck. So it's wise to be ultra-cautious in the rains.
Old 14th August 2006, 15:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

WagonR goes above 140 for sure. There was a thread long long time ago in the street experiences section about a race/drag between a WagonR and Corsa 1.6, both cars were doing 150+ actual speeds (about 165~180) speedo. The wagonR gave Corsa 1.6 a good run for its money!
Old 14th August 2006, 15:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt the WangonR with that tall boy design can do more than 140kmph maybe in downward sloping road.
Old 14th August 2006, 16:26   #21
BHPian

140kmph and not content?? The wagon -R is a kei car with too much of power in the engine. I have always wondered why Maruti would do that.

(I had to edit and insert this,.... no offence meant to wagon-R owners, but just take care )

Take care mate!! It is really hard to get everything back in line once your tall boy starts waging his tail.

Last edited by gbpscars : 14th August 2006 at 16:27.
Old 15th August 2006, 17:05   #22
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Under heavily rainy conditions, virtually invisible water puddles on the Expressway have made my Santro pull violently to the right at around 90-95 kph (really scary, with a huge noise when you hit the puddle and your view temporarily blinded by the water splashing up around your windscreeen) -- both times my instant reaction on the steering wheel (plus easing off on the throttle, but NOT braking) and the wonderful steering response of the Santro brought it back on course and saved my neck. So it's wise to be ultra-cautious in the rains.
I have a simple theory for why my Santro pulled to the right, both times while hitting water puddles in the right lane (on two-lane stretches in the ghat section). This may be due to the fact that the water level in the puddle will be higher towards the right edge of the lane, where water drainage is poor because of excess flow and hence water is stagnating. Whereas towards the left side of the lane the water level will be lower because of the camber in the road. So the greater drag on the right wheels due to the higher water level there probably caused the car to pull to the right.

The moral of the story is to stick to the centre of the road where possible (in these cases I was passing vehicles, so had to go to right lane) and avoid high speeds in the rains.

Last edited by rks : 15th August 2006 at 17:15.
Old 15th August 2006, 17:40   #23

hey people..

before you wonder about the ability of the wagon, let me just quote a review i read about the car a premier auto mag

I verified it myself and the car does not roll; mark my words. At crazy speeds, the car feels like its got too little grip, but it does not at all roll..

Compare that to other cars, even though its tall and has a high centre of gravity, the stiff rll bars up front mean that the car will not roll off the road.

Before people post their pre-concieved notions here, let me quote that my wagon R reaches 90KPh in 2nd gear before the rev limiter cuts in

Performance is not really a problem from the 4 cyl motor, but maruti build is
Old 15th August 2006, 18:25   #24
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastmaster
hey people..

before you wonder about the ability of the wagon, let me just quote a review i read about the car a premier auto mag

I verified it myself and the car does not roll; mark my words. At crazy speeds, the car feels like its got too little grip, but it does not at all roll..

Compare that to other cars, even though its tall and has a high centre of gravity, the stiff rll bars up front mean that the car will not roll off the road.
I think you are confusing "body roll" and "roll over". Body roll refers to the car's tendency to lean towards the ouside of the curve under fast cornering. The purpose of anti-roll bars is to reduce body roll. I doubt if the presence of anti-roll bars will guarantee that your Wagon R won't roll over, or as you have put it, "roll off the road" (presumably you mean skid off the road) while cornering at "crazy speeds". You should check with the experts on this before you try cornering at "crazy speeds" in your Wagon R.
Old 15th August 2006, 18:33   #25
aZa
Senior - BHPian

If u were @ 140kmph in 5th gear, the speed in the 4th gear would be slightly higher but the engine would be screaming

Btw where did u try going this fast ? Greater noida expressway ?

I maxed out my Santro Xing @ 150Kmph in 5th while Fuelled overtook me at 160-165Kmph @ 4th during one of the t-bhp meets.

Last edited by aZa : 15th August 2006 at 18:34.
Old 15th August 2006, 18:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

My first reaction when I saw this title was "Jump out and push, since you are already at 140 it may help..."

That said... I think it is really bad idea to push tall boys at these kind of speed. If the road suddenly curves or somebody gets in front of you, the car simply doesn't have the handling ability to bail you out.
Old 15th August 2006, 20:37   #27
Team-BHP Support

Actually, WagonR perfroms well when the revs increase... It can pick up good speeds...

But trying 140+ should only be on straight roads... No bends, traffic, nothing...
Old 16th August 2006, 09:36   #28

Quote:
aZa: Btw where did u try going this fast ? Greater noida expressway ?
NH1, somewhere between Karnal and Ambala(?). Road conditions were excellent and there were no curves in sight. thats what prompted me to pick-up.
Car was quite stable @ that speed(wondering whether roof-rails played any part in it), didn't feel any vibrations. I even overtook a couple of vehicles at that speed.
Old 16th August 2006, 19:03   #29
BHPian

my previous car was a 1998 model zen.... i had taken it to 150...(without a.c ofcourse...)
it went to 130 without any problems... i floored by acclerator and it wasnt going up... so i switched off my a.c, changed to focus to road... and after some time i looked.. voila... i was doing 150.... and just to check, i switched on a.c while doing a 150... the speedo just jumped to 130... (my old zen engine wouldnt take that much load....)

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 16th August 2006 at 19:05.
Old 16th August 2006, 19:20   #30
BANNED

If your WagonR won't go over 140, maybe it's trying to tell you something, bro.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks