Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2006, 10:34   #1

My WagonR wont go beyond 140KMPH!!

Its a 2005, Lxi model.
Have run arnd 16,000 KMs
Done 3 services

On full throttle, without a/c, it just refused to go beyond 140 KMPH :-(
whats the problem? :-(
need a engine tuning? or shall i wait for engine to get tumed by itself after some time?
Old 14th August 2006, 11:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

4th or 5th gear? .
Old 14th August 2006, 11:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asad7874
Its a 2005, Lxi model.
Have run arnd 16,000 KMs
Done 3 services

need a engine tuning? or shall i wait for engine to get tumed by itself after some time?
for good reason too, with its tallboy design, it is not really a good idea to exceed that speed....but have u known the wagonr to exceed that speed ???? i doubt it...
Old 14th August 2006, 11:39   #4
BHPian

Roll all the windows up. Use Premium/Power fuel, not the regular stuff. Do you have tyres fatter than the original ones? That could affect top speed.

Engine should be fully broken in by 16k. But if you've tried this stunt before it hit 10k you might have damaged the engine.

In any case, you really shouldn't be exceeding 120 in that thing... its a Wagon R after all, it might just take off or something. You're putting your own and (more importantly) other people's lives in danger.
Old 14th August 2006, 11:55   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asad7874
Its a 2005, Lxi model.
Have run arnd 16,000 KMs
Done 3 services

The top speed is highly variable depending on a number of factors. Here are some of the factors I have mentioned in other threads:

1) Downward slope/tail wind (upto 20 kmph increase is possible).
(2) Load in your car (including fuel tank -- full vs less than 1/2?-- not too sure about how much difference this makes).
(3) Tyre pressures -- helps if tyres are over-inflated by 2-3 psi.
(4) State of the tyres - upgraded vs stock, bald vs lots of tread -- I think less tread may help to a certain extent -- not too sure of this -- check with race drivers.
(4) Road conditions -- smooth roads help -- less friction.
(5) Engine tuning, wheel alignment/balancing -- all these would matter.

On the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, my Santro does a top speed that varies from 135-160 kph depending on where you are. I think A/C might have a marginal effect -- the 160 you see in my avatar was done without A/C on a downward sloping stretch. I don't think you have a serious problem. If your car is tuned for mileage, you can try retuning for increased pick-up. But first you should try different stretches of road before jumping to conclusions. In the first place 140 is a pretty decent speed for a Wagon R, as somebody pointed out.

Also I assume you are on stock tyres. If you have changed tyre/wheel size then your top speed can vary plus there can be speedo errors.

Last edited by rks : 14th August 2006 at 11:57.
Old 14th August 2006, 11:57   #6

[CODE]4th or 5th gear?[/CODE]
5th gear offcourse.

[CODE]...but have u known the wagonr to exceed that speed ????[/CODE]
No, I haven't. But since its speed dial's limit is 160, i think it should be able to run @ that speed.

[CODE]You're putting your own and (more importantly) other people's lives in danger[/CODE]
point taken! no more stunts now
Old 14th August 2006, 12:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd
Roll all the windows up. Use Premium/Power fuel, not the regular stuff. Do you have tyres fatter than the original ones? That could affect top speed.

Engine should be fully broken in by 16k. But if you've tried this stunt before it hit 10k you might have damaged the engine.

In any case, you really shouldn't be exceeding 120 in that thing... its a Wagon R after all, it might just take off or something. You're putting your own and (more importantly) other people's lives in danger.
we have done 140+ true (which is like 150+ on the speedo) on Wagon Rs with less than 1000 on the odo, using normal unleaded fuel. so the breaking-in thing isnt too much relevant, specially in cars nowadays as they are made using high precision tools and the engine doesnt require the same break-in which was required say 10-12 yrs back..

@asad : reference to your post no 6 : the esteems have a 200 marked speedo. that doesnt mean they should do 200!
Old 14th August 2006, 12:07   #8
BHPian

Does a Wagon R go above 140????....
Old 14th August 2006, 12:10   #9
BHPian

Yep they do but if there is a lot of wind around, they wont even do 130 on the speedo. We were lucky enuf not to have cross-winds the day we tested the wagon r
Old 14th August 2006, 12:10   #10

sir you are already too fast

I own a wagon r,.......and i strongly suggest u should' not do more than 110km/hr it is dangerous, seriously dangerous. I would not like to boast about myself, i myself drive fast, i have given some real good rally drivers run for their money...but 140 km/hr in a wagon r is too fast for the car. I believe one should drive any car at top speed when he is confident of his driving & knows his car limits well...god forbid but overconfidence can kill
Old 14th August 2006, 12:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

The 1.1 alto with the same Wagon r engine has a True top speed of 154km.But the alto was comparitively more aerodynamic then wagon r.So the 140 ur wagon r is goin is good enough.In favourable conditions it might improve till 150.
Old 14th August 2006, 12:18   #12

@rks:
Thanks for the inputs. I did think about all these conditions.

Quote:
ego4evr: Does a Wagon R go above 140????....
Wish I could take a snap of my speedo :-)

Quote:
dboss: I believe one should drive any car at top speed when he is confident of his driving & knows his car limits well
I am confident of my driving skills but getting to know my car's limit now.
Old 14th August 2006, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss
I own a wagon r,.......and i strongly suggest u should' not do more than 110km/hr it is dangerous, seriously dangerous. I would not like to boast about myself, i myself drive fast, i have given some real good rally drivers run for their money...but 140 km/hr in a wagon r is too fast for the car. I believe one should drive any car at top speed when he is confident of his driving & knows his car limits well...god forbid but overconfidence can kill
rightly put....and if u r a speed freak, why buy an intellectual's car, go for a low slung one & stretch its legs, right ?
Old 14th August 2006, 13:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Even the 800 is marked to 140- 150... According to you, it should go to those speeds, na?

Old 14th August 2006, 13:58   #15

Quote:
Even the 800 is marked to 140- 150... According to you, it should go to those speeds, na?
errrr..........well...:-D
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks