Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2006, 21:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Shattered window in swift=shattered heart,but how?

After the ice install,we used to hear these sounds from the front two windows when they were rolled down completely.Just as the window went down fully,this "katak" kinda sound came.Thought i would take the car back to ozz one a little later when the inevitable happened yesterday,while closing the driver side door,poosh the glass shattered.Could not understand why;its not supposed to happen right?
Anyway took the car to bimal today at 10 and got the car back by 5.They said that such a thing was impossible and hence didnt charge us a thing.BUTT they pulled out my front speakers saying that they were too big for the door and that they were the cause of the problem.
I mean,***?they said that 6" was the speaker size and the speakers fitted were normal pio 2-way 6" speakers.Moreover,Ozz one,the place were the ice install was done are bimal's authorised mechanic dudes.All their cars go to Ozz One for fitment of various stuff like autocop,fog lamps,seat covers etc.Those guys are supposed to know what fits and what doesnt.
Now what i want to know is what exactly caused the problem?Can i get the speakers installed again?And if it happens again,who is to blame and who should take responsibility?
Crazy!!

binz

Last edited by binz : 16th August 2006 at 21:21.
Old 16th August 2006, 22:23   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
After the ice install,we used to hear these sounds from the front two windows when they were rolled down completely.Just as the window went down fully,this "katak" kinda sound came..... .Those guys are supposed to know what fits and what doesnt.
Now what i want to know is what exactly caused the problem?Can i get the speakers installed again?And if it happens again,who is to blame and who should take responsibility?
Crazy!!

binz
I guess you should have questioned them that they were the only ones who meddled with the doors to fit the speakers and they should explain how they squeezed ( haha professionals!) in those 6 inch speakers.

but u have ur replacement window pane free of cost dont u.
Old 17th August 2006, 03:32   #3
BHPian

ouch sorry to hear that. atleast u got it replaced free of charge
i think your speakers were not installed properly, thats why the sound came as the window was rolled down.
make sure u get them fixed properly.
Old 17th August 2006, 08:44   #4
BHPian

binz, I had the problem of window glass hitting the speaker when windows being rolled down. I had to put on 1/2 inch thick washers for each screw to move the speakers a bit front so that the glass don't hit the speaker magnet. Any installer should know about this.

Reg breaking of glass i hope the "katak" sound while rolling down would have induced a crunchy corner which initiated the cracking of glass when strongly shut.

You are lucky to have got the glass replaced free of cost. Next time make sure the window rolls down completely after the speaker install.

Please update us regarding the happenings

Last edited by ksethuram : 17th August 2006 at 08:45.
Old 17th August 2006, 10:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

man u have to put up spacer to mount the 6.5 inch speaker the way recommended above with washers is also incorrect here is a pic of the same to explain u better.......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 17th August 2006 at 10:03.
Old 24th September 2006, 17:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the replies,
@lbm,exactly what is the thickness on the spacers you used?
Old 24th September 2006, 18:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the replies,
@lbm,exactly what is the thickness on the spacers you used?
it depends on the speakers u are going to use....
Old 24th September 2006, 18:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

okok....whats the max spacer size i can use without the speaker hitting the plastic door trim.Speakers are 6.5''
Old 24th September 2006, 18:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

which model..............
Old 24th September 2006, 18:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

pio ts-A1678

now i know thats a pretty unknown model but my dad picked it up coz it was cheap(money matters you know).

Last edited by binz : 24th September 2006 at 18:42.
Old 24th September 2006, 18:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

a 0.75 inch mdf wood will do the job
Old 24th September 2006, 19:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

.......thanks man!......
Old 24th September 2006, 21:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I am pretty sure, the speaker was too deep for the job. See, 6.5" is OK, but the depth of the speaker varies.

Obviously this one was either borderline, or touching. Bad install.

Luckily you have a free glass. Looks like they gave you that to save face. (since you say you got it done from their trusted guys)
And pretty obviously, they haven't fit the speakers in, simply because it will happen again.
If they re-fit the speakers with a wooden trim ring, then they have automatically admitted their fault.

Anyways, like LBM said, re-mount the speakers with a .75 mdf ring. All should be well after that.
Old 24th September 2006, 21:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hmm i didnt really post a proper ''what exactly happened'.So lemme tell you now.
Speakers fitted,Glass hit,Glass shattered,Glass replaced.Now that part you guys already know.

So we went back to ozz one and spoke to the guy,he said he knew in the begining that the glass would break but didnt put the spacers because they werent in stock and also because i hadnt asked for them.Though his honesty can be appreciated,he needs a trashing.***?

Fine leave.So i asked him to get the mdf rings told him to figure out the dimensions and went home.Glass pieces still shaking at the back of the door.

Two days later he calls saying the rings have arrived,so my bro takes the car and comes home.Still no speakers!According to that guy if any mdf ring is put,then the speaker will hit the door trim hence i must bus oem sony speakers from him.Again ***?Kept the speakers at home till now

The funny part is when we gave the car to bimal,with no glass,they thought that they themselves had done the install and thats why we got the free window!Talk about confusion.

binz

Sam...Reply to my pm.
Old 24th September 2006, 21:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

,he said he knew in the begining that the glass would break but didnt put the spacers because they werent in stock and also because i hadnt asked for them.

According to that guy if any mdf ring is put,then the speaker will hit the door trim hence i must bus oem sony speakers from him.
I think you need a new installer. This I am 100% sure of.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks