Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2006, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Why are Crash test Cars always Yellow?

Why are Crash test cars always Yellow ??

Anyone know ?
Old 17th August 2006, 20:50   #2
BHPian

i dont know if all of them are yellow but i do know that they have stickers on them mabey for recording purposes. like seeing how a certain panel absorbs the impact or something like that. mabey the gurus can clarify
Old 17th August 2006, 22:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929RON

Anyone know ?
I guess thats coz they turn yellow with fear knowing their fate!!
Old 18th August 2006, 08:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

It is the best colour under artificial light to show up the stresses, damage profiles during filming of the crash
Old 18th August 2006, 10:05   #5
BHPian

In any floor shops (manufacturing, grading, testing, etc ) places all the moving parts are marked in yellow. for example fork lifts, platform vehicles, towing lanes, etc are marked in yellow to symbolize that they are moving object and to avoid being close to it.

the crash test cars are moving objects in the floor shop and hence painted in yellow
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929RON View Post

Anyone know ?
No, they are not always yellow in color. Take a look at the link below.

Howstuffworks "How Crash Testing Works"
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

my thoughts: Yellow colour has better visibility, hence moving parts/vehicles get yellow paint. Also recollect that yellow colour is used on almost all cabs across the world for same reason of better visibility.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
my thoughts: Yellow colour has better visibility, hence moving parts/vehicles get yellow paint. Also recollect that yellow colour is used on almost all cabs across the world for same reason of better visibility.
Going a little off topic

You are correct " The color (and name) yellow was selected by John Hertz as the result of a survey by the University of Chicago which indicated it was the easiest color to spot."

Courtesy Wiki Pedia
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

school buses are also yellow in color (not that they are to be used for crash test). but I guess this might for the reason that sukiwa said - better visibility.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Stickers on the test cars are basically "Track-points" and "Tracking-Sensors",after the test is done they use differet softwares eg.like Boujou,where they put the entire scene-shoot from Digi-beta tape,the track-points are read by the software which helps in creating virtual camera for softwares like 3ds max,maya,cinema-4d etc,which acts like a real capture shoot in 3D enviornment,then the Tracking-sensors are imported in the 3d scene,and rigged/merdged to the 3D car model,where they get to learn the behavior of the car at the collision.

The same technique we also use for Green-screen shoots where we put real people and real objects in the 3D enviornment created by me.Hope my statement cleares some of the doubts,any film/Ad-makers here can corect me if i am going wrong somewhere,as this is my personl working experience..cheers

Ramie

Edit:there is no specific reason for why yellow colour is used,ive seen even black,orange,silver colours car crash testing on youtube videos

Last edited by ramie2400 : 2nd April 2008 at 15:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks