Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 14:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

^^^Technically speaking, you are not supposed to add 2t in your cars tank. This is a "non standard" idea... and an authorised service agent should not be advising this. There is no reason why a good fuel pump cannot work without 2t.
Old 26th May 2009, 01:05   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thank god my car cannot read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...............I am not quite sure of the reason you're adding 2T to petrol, but it won't help to clean anything. ............Detergents in 2T oil are minimal AFAIK, and won't do as good a job as, say, SystemG would. However, it leaves more carbon deposits on burning than SystemG. So your detergent benefits in the fuel lines are negated by the carbon produced in the cylinder when 2T burns. It certainly won't clean inlet or exhaust valves.
I saw this post as soon as it was put up, but held on till a clearer picture emerged. I am glad to say my car cannot read, therefore it does not know that 2T oil is not supposed to work.

It is now over a month since I dosed my petrol tank with 2T oil. The initial impression I gained have held up and the car runs smoothly throughout the rev range. I have had the throttle body sprayed to clean it and cure a 'sticky throttle'. I do not know exactly how it works, but 2T oil helped clear some minor glitches in my engine like a dead spot in acceleration and reluctance to hit the high notes. Perhaps, the fact that I added the 2T oil in a highway run where there is a large amount of gases flowing helped clean the additional carbon out. (I never add 2T oil when the car is to be driven in the city).

Regarding the query by fariborzpz - Perhaps he has advised adding 2T oil to help lubricating the pump or to seal some minor gaps. I think that 2T oil should not be added regularly for the reasons set out by SS-traveller (additional carbon deposits, gummy gunk etc.) One or two applications might be ok.

Cheers,
Old 29th May 2009, 22:06   #108
HKS
BHPian

^^^
This was my exact point. I have tried it once, it cleans up your injector, but carbon gets settled on your exhaust pipe. If you have ever noticed.

I will say use 2T oil once in a while to clean your injectors, if you fell the engine isn't revving well.

Cheers.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:46   #109

Hi Finetuning,
I have been using acetone for some time now,with good results.
Noted are the smoothness,especially at lower/mid rpm's.

I have recently changed my car to an old Mazda 626 2L manual,also good results when using 2ml/litre of petrol.

I bought the car cheap as the oil rings were stuck,and on startup burned a lot of oil (like a smoke machine) ,i replaced the rings myself and all is now good.
This is a common problem on these types of engine if the oil has not been replaced at the proper servicing intervals.

I will be adding boric acid to the oil once the rings have been run in.

As regards to the castrol tt oil,i have a bottle of unopened Castrol Super TT 2stroke oil,i have had this bottle for approx 20 years !
Will this be ok for the petrol additive?

Also i cannot quite match the full name of Castrol power 1 tt oil here in the UK,the nearest i can get is here CASTROL "POWER 1 SCOOTER 2T" POWER PROTECTION 1 LTR on eBay (end time 02-May-10 14:58:41 BST)

Is this the same or suitable?

BTW Finetuning,i had a brainwave,as i have a oil fired heating boiler,i added acetone to the oil,at a dosage of 15ml/litre.
I have noticed the flue has allmost no smell,compared to before i added the acetone!

As i installed and service the boiler myself i have no problem in doing this,later on this year i will check the deposits around the burner and baffle plates to see if the biuld up is reduced.
I figured that the acetone additive would be excellent for the better burn.

Thanks,
Paul.
Boardmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:09   #110

Hi Finetuning,
In the shed i have an unopened bottle of Castrol Super TT 2 stroke oil,this is approx 20 years old!
Would this be suitable ?

Also over here in the UK i can buy this CASTROL "POWER 1 SCOOTER 2T" POWER PROTECTION 1 LTR on eBay (end time 02-May-10 14:58:41 BST)

Would this be suitable also ?
Old 4th November 2010, 22:10   #111
BHPian

need help to find acetone, where in Bangalore can i buy acetone?
Old 4th November 2010, 22:24   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Arvind, any medical store will have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardmaker View Post
In the shed i have an unopened bottle of Castrol Super TT 2 stroke oil,this is approx 20 years old! Would this be suitable ?
no - it's too old.

Last edited by condor : 4th November 2010 at 22:26.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:16   #113
BHPian

Finetuning, does adding 2T to a new vehicle (diesel) have any advantage.

Last edited by Ravi Yadav : 6th December 2010 at 19:18.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:57   #114
BHPian

Re: My Experience Of Adding 2T Oil In Fuel

Is it recommended to add 2T oil in diesel for Swift DDIS?
Will it be an issue since it is a CRDi engine?

What are the long term advantages and disadvantages?
If recommended then what quantity should we add?
Old 24th May 2011, 19:40   #115
Senior - BHPian

This thread has been dormant for a while, and being an old thread ...

One question:

What harm can one expect by adding, let us say, 1ml/ltr of 2T into diesel? I know the recommendation here is 2ml/ltr, but may be going slow is the idea.

My concerns are in the areas of:

1. BS4 engines (the thread predates this)
2. catalytic converter damage (most guys posting are using very old cars)
3. whether to do it on run-in (I think not, but can somebody confirm)
4. whether to do it on long drives when possibility of getting adulterated diesel is high

anything else that comes to your mind
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:35   #116
BHPian

Hi all,
I have a Xylo BS4, 11 months, done ~25K KM; eager to know of any 2T experience - inputs welcome.

regards,
Pranav
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:54   #117
BHPian

I would suggest that unless some brave rich soul tries this out in a BS4 CRDI, it is better not to mix 2T oil in Diesel.

CRDI engines/aggregates are known to have lesser life compared to normal IDI/DI engines.

Fiddling with the fuel may result in sensors not working properly & change in fuel density may cause malfunction of the electronic pump. Probably will damage the CatCon as well.

BHPians with working knowledge in Diesel Engines please throw more light on this.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:17   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi all,
I have a Xylo BS4, 11 months, done ~25K KM; eager to know of any 2T experience - inputs welcome.

regards,
Pranav
Hi Pranav,
Vina is right for his concern about the BS4 engine and catcon.
But we start getting BS4 diesel and supposedly lubricity factor of the diesel is reduced.
A small dose 80 ml ( 2T is available in 40 ml / 80 ml pouches at most bunks ) per 40 , should help in keeping upper half of the engine and valves clean and better lubricated. You may realize the difference almost immediately . With most diesel bunks having water, the oil would make most telling difference for the life of fuel pump.
I have had in last monsoon , water issues in diesel having to change my filter elements twice in a 1000km. a high dose of 2t immediately made difference to the sound of FIP.
On a fast run on highway , you can simply put double the dose of 2T , and you would actually get better mileage and engine smoothness will be noticeable even at high RPM.
Some even claim 2T reduces smoke . I am not sure about veracity of this particular aspect of using 2t , but i've been using 2t quite regularly to good effect.
I have a TCIC Safari 2004 with 96000km on the odo.
And with 2T as additive , some amount of cleaning effect of the injectors also would be there.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 3rd June 2011 at 19:25.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:36   #119
BHPian

BTW i have a petrol logan 1.6 , retrofitted to CNG . I have started dosing the petrol with a pouch ( 40 ml ) for 20 lit. I drive on petrol every now and then , and i notice engine smoothness has improved after starting to use 2T.
cng which is dry fuel does not lubricate the valve. The 2t oil may be helping cool and lubricate the valves .

Logan - k7m RENAULT engine is BS3.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:59   #120
BHPian

I am using 1ml/lit of petrol for my GTX and the smoothness is quite evident. The NVH are considerably lower than other palios just a slight humm. The pick up is quite good wheelspin even on 2nd gear and certainly can feel the engine freeness. I recommend for palio .

Regards,
Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks