Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Automatic Gearbox: Won't go into Reverse!

Need your help folks!
I am posting on behalf of a friend.

He recently acquired a 2001 model Zen AT in Kerela as a run about for his wife.
While he test drove the car everything seemed perfectly fine.

But in a days time he realized that the car does not fall into reverse, unless the engine is warmed up.
He then remembered that the guy who sold him the car, had already warmed up the engine before the test drive.

This is his exact verbatim
" My Zen AT does not fall into reverse until she is warmed up. After some driving around once the engine has warmed up she falls into reverse, with a thud when you rev the engine. Worst is after further driving arround she wont fall into reverse come what may.
The AT fluid is arround 5lts, I managed to drain about 2 lts of oil and changed it. But sadly no improvement. I want to see if it can be fixed before I decide to dispose it off"

Other details:
Model 2001
Run 80k KM on the Odo
Engine is good no smoke and revs well.
Even pulls well in the forward gears.

He has tried even at the authorized centers but no one has a clue about AT's.
Looking for some support if any other BHP'ian has faced similar issues or is good at trouble shooting AT's.
Old 5th March 2015, 18:29   #2
BANNED

re: Automatic Gearbox: Won't go into Reverse!

Could be electromechanical (expensive to fix) or simple an interlock. I did own a Zen AT (1997) till about 65000km but did not face this sort of an issue. What may be tougher is to find a competent AT technician.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 12:16   #3
BHPian

re: Automatic Gearbox: Won't go into Reverse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Need your help folks!

But in a days time he realized that the car does not fall into reverse, unless the engine is warmed up.
He then remembered that the guy who sold him the car, had already warmed up the engine before the test drive.

" My Zen AT does not fall into reverse until she is warmed up. After some driving around once the engine has warmed up she falls into reverse, with a thud when you rev the engine. Worst is after further driving arround she wont fall into reverse come what may.
The AT fluid is arround 5lts, I managed to drain about 2 lts of oil and changed it. But sadly no improvement. I want to see if it can be fixed before I decide to dispose it off"

Other details:
Model 2001
Run 80k KM on the Odo

Looking for some support if any other BHP'ian has faced similar issues or is good at trouble shooting AT's.
Hello Mr. Hemanth,
I am no expert at ATs but I have come across a Maruti A-star with the same problem. The car had run 50k kms only. The case had baffled every technician at the Dealer MASS where I service my car.
Let me try to find out on Monday when I visit them for my 800 repairs.
AT fluid plays a major role in AT cars. In manual transmission cars the gear oil is just present, it does nothing.
Please check these parts immediately-
1. The internal seals-you may have to remove the transmission unit as a whole.
2. Please check the transmission tunnel for blockages.
3. The transmission filter present in ATs may be blocked as the car has been driven for so many kms.
4. Reverse gear is not engaging when the engine is cold-The AT solenoid may have failed. The material used is copper and after so many years it has lost its conductivity. Only on reaching the appropriate temperature do the electrons start conducting. This is my guess. Replace the AT solenoid. All AT swifts use the same solenoid and parts availability will not be an issue.

I will try to gather as much information as possible about the A star by Monday.
Thanks Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Need your help folks!

Other details:
Model 2001
Run 80k KM on the Odo

Drain and fill needs to be done 4 times to remove any traces of old ATF. If there are any metallic particles in the ATF, see if it runs ok after the ATF changes and dispose off. Else needs opening up. Overhaul kits should be available hopefully. Get it done by experts outside ASS. I noticed no one talented enough to work with ATs sticks around in a service center! The good ones start their business.
d_himan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed