Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 18:25   #151
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
I think 'recall' is not the appropriate word for this replacement. They are doing the inspection only for the concerned customers and not bothered about the ones who are not aware about it.
Somehow I doubt that.

Let's check with apn6, if he had complained because of which he got the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn6 View Post
SDP,
...As Rahul has mentioned in his previous post, it's a silent recall till date... The relationship managers have been informed to call the customers with speed alloys installed to check the batch number, it seems.
Had you written to or called customer-care after the alloy-breaking news and expressed concern about your alloys? Just trying to figure out if Mahindras are replacing alloys only for people who voiced concerns.

Last edited by SDP : 8th April 2015 at 18:28.
Old 8th April 2015, 18:56   #152
Team-BHP Support

re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Even that is possible. The speed alloys were not billed with the car. Often they have a separate accessories' guy in the showroom who sells the alloywheels and may be creates a separate bill which never goes into any system. So the trigger often will have to come from you as they have no way of knowing who got these alloys fitted.

On Mahindra's part I see that they have at least informed the showrooms that they own the issue and in all such cases the cost of replacement will be footed by Mahindra. Now, considering that these are accessories and not even standard fitments on these cars I would say it is good that Mahindra owned it up instead of washing off their hands from the entire fiasco.
Zappo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 20:40   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Even that is possible. The speed alloys were not billed with the car. Often they have a separate accessories' guy in the showroom who sells the alloywheels and may be creates a separate bill which never goes into any system. So the trigger often will have to come from you as they have no way of knowing who got these alloys fitted.
I don't think that's a tough job once they are determined to find out the owners using such alloys.

Though its a separate bill of accessories but it's on the name of the owner along with billing date and accessories details.

Today I even enquired from the accessories guy about the number of sets they have sold of these alloys since it was launched and I was surprised to hear as they had sold only 6sets.

So it can be assumed that these alloys has not been sold in huge numbers all over India keeping in mind that maximum number of XUV's on road are W8 whereas W6 and W4 on road are either on OEM rims or aftermarket alloys, very few opted for speed rim alloys. So it shouldn't be tough for Mahindra to contact its customers using these alloys.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:27   #154
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
Since I had to do highway runs I have already exchanged my alloys with after market ones to relieve my self of the mental agony I was going through every time I took my car out .I was not willing to risk running on those alloys on the highway with my family .
But anyway Kudos to Mahindra for acknowledging and rectifying the defect .
On a side note, not to make you get worried but I wonder how good is the quality control of after market alloys as well. In this case since it was Mahindra there was much visibility on the issue and great that Mahindra is owning it up, but I wonder if similar issue exists on after market once and is there any such customer service.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:54   #155
BHPian

Re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
On a side note, not to make you get worried but I wonder how good is the quality control of after market alloys as well. In this case since it was Mahindra there was much visibility on the issue and great that Mahindra is owning it up, but I wonder if similar issue exists on after market once and is there any such customer service.
Agree -there is no guarantee .But I took my chance and went for Taiwanese brand endorsed by nitinralli .
These kind of failures for alloys I have not heard off and would not want to risk it .
Moreover when the alloys were taken off I had a look from the inside and it looks to be very crudely made -so I would not want to take a chance with those anymore .
Old 10th April 2015, 15:19   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Since I had to do highway runs I have already exchanged my alloys with after market ones to relieve my self of the mental agony I was going through every time I took my car out .I was not willing to risk running on those alloys on the highway with my family .
But anyway Kudos to Mahindra for acknowledging and rectifying the defect .
Tamojoym, I have also decided on same thing. Can you please post your alloy details ASAP.

Thanks In advance.
Old 10th April 2015, 15:48   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
Tamojoym, I have also decided on same thing. Can you please post your alloy details ASAP.

Thanks In advance.
I have taken Prestige alloys 17' 139.4 PCD and 8J width the tyres stick out a bit though .
And here is how they look
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!-alloys.jpg  

tamojoym is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 15:49   #158
Senior - BHPian

Its a ticking time bomb! Why they are doing a silent recall. IF the matter doesn't reach all affected customer, lives may be lost. Such a sorry state :(
Old 10th April 2015, 16:01   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ This is what happens when you don't have an official automobile recall policy. Instead the Govt. is busy collecting LTTs from outstation cars. Still, would appreciate Mahindra that at least they looked into the issue and are acting on it.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have taken Prestige alloys 17' 139.4 PCD and 8J width the tyres stick out a bit though .
The alloys look great on your car, especially for the red color. You din't find alloys with 7J width?

And how is the ride quality after adding these alloys?
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 16:09   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
The alloys look great on your car, especially for the red color. You din't find alloys with 7J width?

And how is the ride quality after adding these alloys?
No 7J width not available .I did not feel much of a difference in ride quality .
tamojoym is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 16:32   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They look kicka**. Good choice. Do share the side profile as well. Personally even though i like the design of Mahindra's accessory alloys, but they dont fit the image of a SUV due to thin spokes. Compared to that W8 has more butch ones. Your aftermarket are even better.

Offtopic, long time back Mahindra came up with a Classic Jeep and put allows which has wire spokes like a bicycle rim. Totally opposite of rugged jeep image .
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 19:00   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
When there was no communication from there end in a month I again sent a reminder mail to Mr. Sonjoy Gupta (Customer Care Head) it was then I received a call from my RM yesterday and he asked me to come today for an inspection.
Rahul, Can you please PM the mail id of Sonjoy Gupta.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Tamojoym. Can you please let me know some more details.

1. Price
2. No of KM's put on this alloy
3. Driving manners ( Highway/city)
4. The average speed you maintain
5. The kind of terrain you used it most.

Please dont think that I am asking more and more questions.

Because , I use XUV only for my highway drives and for city I use my humble WagonR.

In xuv, I usually do fairly good speed. So, Just wanted to understand , what kind of driving person you are. If it matches/aligns with me atleast 80 to 90% , then I will blindly replace my alloy with your model. Because, your alloy looks really cool.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Kudos to Mahindra - even if its a silent recall. At least they acknowledge the fact that the part is defective and are acting positively on it. And that has happened only because they would have conducted a fair & extensive test. Appreciate the effort.
Today , I have called India garage ( bangalore whitefiled branch), They said, they did not even know about that.

I called the Toll free number from M & M site. The lady, who has picked up the call, said that, she also did not aware of that issue.

Now, it is so confusing, On what basis mahindra is calling its customers ?

At-least, their toll free number executives should have been informed about this.

Mahindra, Are you watching ?

All of your customers , who are using speed rims are deserved for that.

Mod Note: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th April 2015 at 09:06. Reason: edited high speed mentioned
Old 11th April 2015, 00:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

I too have a Mahindra XUV500 W6 model purchased in mid 2013, and i have got replaced the stock rims with these Speed alloys in the Sireesh Auto at showroom in Bangalore at the time of purchase itself.
I have done about 26000KM now.
These 2 incidents look really scary as i too use it mainly for the highway driving.
Other owners please advise on your experience, and also do let me know the right way to approach to get the replacement done by M&M.
I am pretty sure even if some people are aware of the issue in the company, they would try to hush up the matter.
Mr. Anand Mahindra, i hope you are reading and take some action immediately. I am going to contact the service center soon.
Old 11th April 2015, 00:14   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post

1. Price
2. No of KM's put on this alloy
3. Driving manners ( Highway/city)
4. The average speed you maintain
5. The kind of terrain you used it most.
No problem Double

1.Price =35K for set of 4
2. No of KM's put on this alloy=about 1200Km
3. It is my primary car so both Highway and City .
4.Speeds varies mostly I do 100-120 and if condition permits 140 only on Highways .
5.Mostly on Tarmac -but as you know in Bangalore most of the roads are dug up now and hardly smooth tarmac left .

Most Viewed