Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 12:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure

Is this problem specific to the diesel variants of the Ertiga/Swift/Dzire ? Most of the posts indicate a diesel variant.

Are the gearboxes different for the diesel/petrol variants ?
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 12:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Is this problem specific to the diesel variants of the Ertiga/Swift/Dzire ? Most of the posts indicate a diesel variant.

Are the gearboxes different for the diesel/petrol variants ?
This is only specific for Diesel Engine Ertiga/Swift/Dzire/Sx4. The synchro rings are poor quality. My car (Sx4 Diesel) diagnosed with the same issues. Fortunately, I still have the extended warranty. SA has requested for parts, hopefully by this weekend. I will get the rings changes for all gears except fifth.

Off Topic:
Any M.A.S.S dealership Gurgaon, which stocks Mobil1? My dealership only stocks Castrol. Have requested them multiple times to source Mobil1, but in vain.
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 13:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

For everyone on this thread with synchroniser ring problems - this could be useful information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch_(technique)
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 06:55   #34
BANNED

Hi

My Ertiga ZDI (45000km) was showing problems in shifting from 3 to 2 gear and when looked into ,it was this synchroniser problem ,MAS is replacing it free of cost as my vehicle is in warranty , but SA told that clutch is also due for replacement .
Has anyone replaced clutch also in this case? or is the service center playign games.My old swift ran till 82000 without clutch replacement after which i sold the vehicle.

Cost was 3500 for clutch and 870 for gear oil.
joshguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi

My Ertiga ZDI (45000km) was showing problems in shifting from 3 to 2 gear and when looked into ,it was this synchroniser problem ,MAS is replacing it free of cost as my vehicle is in warranty , but SA told that clutch is also due for replacement .
Has anyone replaced clutch also in this case? or is the service center playign games.My old swift ran till 82000 without clutch replacement after which i sold the vehicle.

Hello Joshguy,

I underwent through the same, though the vehicle is different (Sx4 D), the synchronizer rings were replaced and also the clutch. It all costed me Rs, 4,000, post the replacement. Ideally Maruti, should have done the recall. Don't worry just go ahead. Just mention to SA, in case Gear oil is okay, pls. re-use.

Good your vehicle is in Warranty else, the labour charges would have been Rs 4,500 + taxes. The ring cost is about 1,500.

BR

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:25   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi

Yes, there is a possibility that at 45000kms your clutch has somewhat worn out. However, since you havent faced any clutch wear symptoms, I guess what the SA advised is that, anyhow they are removing the gearbox, so, you can get your clutch changed, since labour would be same for both, and in this case free.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 14:03   #37
BHPian

My Ertiga Vdi with 53k on the odo is diagnosed with the same problem. unfortunately i didn't take extended warranty, thinking it is a Maruti, big mistake. Took vehicle to Suraksha in electronic city, they told its common problem and quoted around 15k including synchronizer, clutch and labor. Service manager told he will check if flywheel needs to be changed too.

Never thought will have gearbox problem so early, is it worth taking it to some other dealership? Will Maruti do anything as a goodwill out of warranty?
Avenger_123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 16:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
My Ertiga Vdi with 53k on the odo is diagnosed with the same problem. unfortunately i didn't take extended warranty, thinking it is a Maruti, big mistake. Took vehicle to Suraksha in electronic city, they told its common problem and quoted around 15k including synchronizer, clutch and labor. Service manager told he will check if flywheel needs to be changed too.

Never thought will have gearbox problem so early, is it worth taking it to some other dealership? Will Maruti do anything as a goodwill out of warranty?
I recently suffered from the same problem. The quality of the components is pathetic. Don't change the flywheel, ask the SA to preserve and re use the gear oil a well. The syn cost around INR 1600, clutch set is about 3,200 and the labor is about 5k. Just go ahead and replace the components.

Some times makes me think, its worth investing in Diesel vehicle, if the cost of the cost of ownership is so high.
Old 7th November 2015, 17:34   #39
BHPian

I have a feeling that this gear box cannot handle the extra torque of the vtvt engine , power being uprated from the standard 75 bhp in the dzire to the 90 bhp in the sx4/ertiga diesel engines .
As I had said before , my BIL has faced this problem in his ertiga thrice in his 2013 zdi run about 1 lakh kms (It is a tourist taxi , hence the high mileage ) .
anky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 17:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I have a feeling that this gear box cannot handle the extra torque of the vtvt engine , power being uprated from the standard 75 bhp in the dzire to the 90 bhp in the sx4/ertiga diesel engines .
As I had said before , my BIL has faced this problem in his ertiga thrice in his 2013 zdi run about 1 lakh kms (It is a tourist taxi , hence the high mileage ) .
yes absolutely correct, the gearbox (sync) are weak to handle diesel torque, which is pathetic quality. Apparently the new models coming out doesn't have this problem.
Old 7th November 2015, 18:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
No, this problem persists even in the swift diesel which is a 75 bhp engine. It's purely due to poor quality of components being used by MSIL. The same engine in both 75 & 90 bhp versions in use by Tata, Fiat, or GM do not face this issue. MSIL should do a recall, but they choose to ignore this issue. Repeated communication has not helped.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 10:01   #42
BHPian

Got the repair done, total damage 11405 after lot of haggling and seeing Team bhp sticker. Got clutch plate, 2 synchronizer rings and hub, fluids and sealants changed. As i was settling bill, one more Ertiga came with same problem!!!
Avenger_123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 17:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susudi View Post
Hi,

There is a second phase to the problem, ASS is now reluctant to admit that the warranty repair/replacement done at 53K was faulty and he wants me to get the repair done at full cost which is approximately 10,000/- RS.

I would like to know if others have faced similar problems and share views on the situation.

Sudhi
Same problem occured in my friend's 2013 Swift Dzire ZDi when his odo was at around the 50k mark, his car had a major accident before this where it had toppled on the roof due to which his warrant cover was over. We showed the car to a couple of independent garages and none of them could detect the issue after which it was taken to Simran Suzuki in Panvel where they told us the synchronizer rings had gone off and needed replacement, the final bill came to around 20k with the routine service included (I think even the Clutch Plate was changed since the gearbox was dismounted anyway).

Also Sudhi,
The only way to know whether the replacement is carried out is to demand to be shown the replaced parts, if they gives lame excuses rest assured it has not been done. The other trick they may use, is to show the parts changed over from some other car. That is the problem when these ASS, there is no transparency in their affairs.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 22:18   #44
BHPian

This is a problem mot likely to happen on 90BHP engines . We have an Eritiga/Sx4 and swift in our Garage and have found this issue happening multiple times with the Ertiga and Sx4 .

I doubt if this has been rectified even with the S-Cross/Baleno .

People looking for the S-cross/baleno or Eritiga should bear this in mind as this would create a dent on your pocket if the vehicle is out of warranty.

Have a close associate in the service section and as per him the first attempt is ask the customer pay for the repair and the repeated one's (2nd failure) is taken in extended warranty .

If the customer is hesitant or puts up a complain , only then it is covered in extended or Normal warranty.

It is a open secret but there is no concrete solution to address it . The Ertiga in our Garage has done over 1 Lakh Km and it has faced this problem at 40 K /62 K and 88k.
sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 00:37   #45
BHPian

having faced this problem twice in 1.07 lac km clocked i would say that if the repair is at under 70-80k kms just change the clutch plate. Bearing, hub etc need not be changed this soon but then agin depends on the car condition.
then since its a repeat issue at about 50k kms change the bearing etc on the next repair. Hope this helps, also in my talk with the GM of Motor Craft Sahibabad he mentioned that the new cars (s-cross and ciaz) have this issue sorted with some additional material covering the syncro.
this issue is more common in the 90bhp super turbo engine in which the rings are not able to take that extra load of torque since it was designed to work with the 75 bhp engine
adi_sun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed