Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 12:30   #1

Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure

Hi,

I have a Maruti Ertiga Vdi 2012 model which has done 60,000 KMS, All service and minor repairs done at ASS only and I have had a very good ownership experience till now.

Now, the gearbox refuses to shift from 3rd to 2nd, every time I want to do so, I am forced to shift to first and then move to second gear.

I started having this problem at around 53K KMS and took the vehicle to ASS. Works manager advised me to go for a warranty repair, so I did. He got the repair done (so I believe). I was billed for gear oil replacement which was OK for me, problem was solved momentarily

Few days into use, the same problem started to occur lightly i.e, a small catch kind of response, and later by 58K, the problem was back to square one. I was unable to downshift from 3rd to 2nd.

There is a second phase to the problem, ASS is now reluctant to admit that the warranty repair/replacement done at 53K was faulty and he wants me to get the repair done at full cost which is approximately 10,000/- RS.

I really do not understand why Maruti guys have gone so bad with two things
a. Whether maruti has reduced the quality of alloy materials and quality of core components like gear wheels, so that it demands replacement every 50K KMS
b. Whether ASS has really done a replacement of the component or not, but promptly included under warranty.

I am worried even if one of the above is true, for a company aiming to gain 50+% market share, such reduction in quality is not in their interest and as far as ASS is concerned, how can a owner really know a core engine/gearbox component is really changed or not under warranty!

I would like to know if others have faced similar problems and share views on the situation.

Sudhi

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2015 at 18:04. Reason: Language
susudi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 12:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure

Have you consulted with another dealership workshop? Also is the car still under warranty or is it over?

Which dealership is this?

Issue sounds like a synchroniser failure.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2015 at 18:05. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence removing
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 12:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a known issue, thanks to our country's lack of consumer laws there is not much that can be done about it, other than repeatedly getting it repaired. My friend's Current Gen Dzire has the same problem. I know of one another Swift with the same issue. The temporary work around is- when shifting from 3rd to 2nd, move the gear lever towards 1st and then slot 2nd.

Maruti service station has recommended to replace some gearbox part, along with Clutch plate and Estimate of work is 17,000 Rupees. The car has done close to 60K but well kept, out of warranty now.

There are hell lot of other known issues with Dzire/Swift that Service station guys are aware of and have made jugaads to make them work. The quality of components has gone down over the years.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th March 2015 at 13:06. Reason: Added info
.anshuman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susudi View Post
... I started having this problem at around 53K KMS and took the vehicle to ASS, works manager advised me to go for a warranty repair, so I did, he got the repair done..
Do you still have warranty? Even if its over, IMO, its the responsibility of the service center guys to repair it. I have a friend who's Thar had a gearbox problem and the service center guys were unable to fix it during the warranty period. Now the warranty is over, they wont repair it. But, a consumer case is ON & he will soon be getting a new gearbox.
Quote:
.. Now, The gear box refuses to shift from 3rd to 2nd, every time i want to do so, i am forced to shift to first and then move to second gear.
As for a the problem, do you know what they changed during the first repair? I have a feeling its a synchroniser issue.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:17   #5
BHPian

If the car is in warranty, escalate to your regional maruti engineer, the number will be available with every workshop. get his support and have the issue resolved.

Also try another maruti service center and see what they say as well.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 15:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

During the 40K service a few weeks back for the my Ertiga, I was approached by one from the ASC asking me if I am facing this issue and my response was negative.

The MD himself drives the Ertiga and said he got 2 of his known folks driving the Ertiga get the Synchronizer ring replaced under warranty for both of them.

Like Jaggu says it is the Sync Ring related issue from what it looks like and you must get it replaced under warranty.

As for me, I am waiting if am lucky or otherwise .

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th March 2015 at 15:53.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 16:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had to get the 'gear lever rod' replaced for my Alto at 50K kms, and the mechanic was mentioning that this is a known issue (and nothing to do with rash driving). The gears were not engaging, so had to tow the car to the workshop. You may also check this component in your Ertiga, to be sure. So much for making the customers pay for this Maruti quality

Last edited by jinojohnt : 16th March 2015 at 16:57.
jinojohnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 17:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I had to get the 'gear lever rod' replaced for my Alto at 50K kms, and the mechanic was mentioning that this is a known issue (and nothing to do with rash driving). The gears were not engaging, so had to tow the car to the workshop. You may also check this component in your Ertiga, to be sure. So much for making the customers pay for this Maruti quality
Is your Alto Pre-K Series (F8D Engine) and if so, the Gear Shift mechanism was old school and used 2 Roads that ran from below the floor to the gearbox.

In case of the K-Series or the Ertiga, its Cable based in which case there is no rod.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 18:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

It's the synchronizer ring. Ask the MASS to change it under warranty. Also make sure a proper clutch bleeding is done after all this job is carried out.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2015 at 18:05. Reason: Typo
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 19:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you consulted with another dealership workshop? Also is the car still under warranty or is it over?

Which dealership is this?

Issue sounds like a synchroniser failure.
Yes, the vehicle is still under extended warranty covering engine and gear box, and its a synchroniser failure, contacted the territorial service manager but no one is taking responsibility of fault till now, ASS says waiting for maruti to respond, maruti says ASS is fooling around. Going in circles now!! Meeting the general manager of ASS tomorrow hoping to get the matter sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
It's the sycnorizer ring. Ask the MASS to change it under warranty. Also make sure a proper clutch bleeding is done after all this job is carried out.
Yes, its a synchronizer problem, but a new one failing at 3000 KMS is unacceptable.

Last edited by manson : 16th March 2015 at 19:40. Reason: Fixed quote.
susudi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 10:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Is your Alto Pre-K Series (F8D Engine) and if so, the Gear Shift mechanism was old school and used 2 Roads that ran from below the floor to the gearbox.

In case of the K-Series or the Ertiga, its Cable based in which case there is no rod.
Thanks for pointing out. Mine must be the one with rods as you suggested, as it is a 2008 model 800cc Alto.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2015 at 18:06. Reason: Typo
jinojohnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 10:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susudi View Post
Yes, the vehicle is still under extended warranty covering engine and gear box, and its a synchroniser failure, contacted the territorial service manager but no one is taking responsibility of fault till now, ASS says waiting for maruti to respond, maruti says ASS is fooling around. Going in circles now!! Meeting the general manager of ASS tomorrow hoping to get the matter sorted out.
Try a different Service Center. Had the same problem with my Swift at ~75K Kms which had extended warranty till 80K Km. While one Service Center Refused, the other service center promptly did the change under Warranty.
malgudi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 04:25   #13
BHPian

Re: Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure

Hello All
I got all 4 gear sync changed at 72 K kms , i was having issue with 1st and 2nd gear mainly . Cost of single set of sync was Rs 1600 , the owner of garage where i got my swift serviced told me that quality has really gone down with new swift . Old gen swift sync used to cost 7200 per set and now it costs Rs 1600 , also he told me fit and finish of new gen swift sync is not good . Also he told me that gears quality has also gone down .

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 18th March 2015 at 04:27.
Safari_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 07:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
... also he told me fit and finish of new gen swift sync is not good . Also he told me that gears quality has also gone down .
I had a 2012 Swift petrol and also a 2014 swift diesel, both same generation. The quality of interiors and general fit and finish on the inside of the 2012 Swift was a wee bit higher comparing to the 2014. Even the front seats were better on the 2012.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 14:43   #15

Hi ppl

I need help. Facing the same issue. Gear shift from 3rd to 2nd does not happen and I need to go to first gear directly.
Car Details :

Swift Dzire old gen clocked 82k
Model 2011 - VDI

I went to MASS at Naraina Delhi for the 80k service last week. The problem started post the service only. Before that it was fine. I visited the SA again and he mentioned that it can occur anytime. I got the gear oil changed during this service.

I have two questions -
1. Could the A.S.S do something during the service that has caused this issue? (knowingly or unknowingly). The SA clearly refused saying it has nothing to do with the paid service

2.What options do I have now? The SA mentioned that clutch and gear overhaul needs to be done. ~Rs 20,000 cost and the car needs to be left for 4 days. He mentioned that syncronizer must have gone bad. Should I visit any local garage/expert mechanic or get it done through MASS?

I need your expert inputs on this please!
Yogesh Mehta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks