Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2020, 22:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars that still have a hydraulic steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Not at all a weird option, it has a go-kart feeling to it.
I am curious about this. Unfortunately this variant also comes without AC.
I wonder if aftermarket AC kits for cars are still a thing.
A tempting thought would be to get a base Alto 800, spend say a lakh and a half on upgrades. That should cover AC, a music system with speakers, better tires and probably even central locking.
That would give a pretty feelsome 5-lakh car that is truly reminiscent of 90s Marutis.
Of course, I would be known as a nut-case among friends and family , but who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I know that the TUV 300 gets a Hydraulic Power Steering, as oxymoronic as that sounds. Is this hydraulic or not? (Mahindra calls it a power assisted hydraulic steering).
Interesting. Is it any good in terms of feel?
Old 15th January 2020, 08:32   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Interesting. Is it any good in terms of feel?
I know that it feels relatively heavier at crawling speeds. At highway speeds, you don't feel afraid of losing control if you change direction (and then again, it isn't a fast beast at all). I know that in some cars which have really light electric steering, at highway speeds their steering is twitchy and nervous.

This forum's official reviews of recent Mahindra products have criticized their lack of expertise in calibrating the steering though..
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 22:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I know that it feels relatively heavier at crawling speeds. At highway speeds, you don't feel afraid of losing control if you change direction (and then again, it isn't a fast beast at all). I know that in some cars which have really light electric steering, at highway speeds their steering is twitchy and nervous.

This forum's official reviews of recent Mahindra products have criticized their lack of expertise in calibrating the steering though..
Thank you. One distinction I make is (and this comes up when I read reviews of the TUV 300 after reading your last post) - between steering heft/heaviness and precision.

I increasingly care more and more about actual precision. When I say precision, it is not necessarily about feedback or road feel, but rather in terms of directness. I guess it is a matter of steering ratio as well as consistency, to the point where you are able to intuit better how the car would respond to a certain fine input. This definitely varies from car to car. There is a world of difference between say the Hyundai's EPS and BMW's EPS, though both have no feel/feedback. And some cars, though hydraulic and heavy, their feeling of precision leaves something to be desired.

One analogy for precision is when I switch between a wireless mouse and a good-quality wired mouse. It is a night and day difference, it takes less effort to point to a certain pixel because it responds more precisely. I guess a gaming mouse would take things to another level.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 22:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I am curious about this. Unfortunately this variant also comes without AC.
I wonder if aftermarket AC kits for cars are still a thing.
A tempting thought would be to get a base Alto 800, spend say a lakh and a half on upgrades. That should cover AC, a music system with speakers, better tires and probably even central locking.
That would give a pretty feelsome 5-lakh car that is truly reminiscent of 90s Marutis.
Of course, I would be known as a nut-case among friends and family , but who cares?
That would be a pretty awesome legal go-kart to drive in cities and for moderate highway drives.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

I am just curious, for anyone who has driven it: how is the steering feel on the base / RXE variants of the Renault Kwid? Apparently it is a non-power-steering car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks