Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2015, 01:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars that still have a hydraulic steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I guess its offtopic, but still, just to clarify. I have both the Palio and the Fiesta. I dont think the Fiesta matches the Palio in the raw feel and Fun to Drive. Yes, its ok by sedan standards, but no comparo with palio. Drive hard and the palio wins hands down. That said @gibikote, I somehow have felt the fords to have better steering, if thats only what you are looking for.

Otherwise, for a second car, you have plenty of options.
I suppose it is all down to personal preference. For me the slick shifting gearbox with short throws, well measured pedal travel along with the chatty steering all came together to make the driving position spot-on and the rev-happy duratec in the Ford makes things more interesting. In contrast the Palio's gearbox wasn't as slick and the long throws mixed with the fact that the clutch pedal sank far too long and did not feel as well calibrated nor was it in sync with the A and B pedals, making rev-matching really difficult. The motor is as refined and while it does have a meaty mid-range that doesn't make up for the loss of rpm range according to me. Perhaps you could describe why the Palio feels better to you

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th November 2015 at 02:18.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 06:28   #77
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions; but Cedia, Fiesta and Fabia will not be on the short list as I am looking for a hatchback (for a 6' tall me) with adequate steering feedback and feel, on a budget. TN registration... Did think of the Fusion too (keeping sitting position and other positives in mind) but scared of the negative comments on the net regarding parts availability, which seems easier for the Palio.
@Dhanushs what were you having in mind?

Last edited by gibikote : 7th November 2015 at 06:31.
Old 7th November 2015, 11:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibikote View Post
Thanks for the suggestions; but Cedia, Fiesta and Fabia will not be on the short list as I am looking for a hatchback (for a 6' tall me) with adequate steering feedback and feel, on a budget. TN registration... Did think of the Fusion too (keeping sitting position and other positives in mind) but scared of the negative comments on the net regarding parts availability, which seems easier for the Palio.
@Dhanushs what were you having in mind?
Well the S10 and GTX versions make the Palio the hottest hatchback around If you are looking at higher seating though, may I recommend chucking the Fusion and thinking of a Forester instead? The boxer engine does marvels to aid the low center of gravity making this my favorite SUV or in other words, the only one that brings a smile to my face
Old 8th November 2015, 20:50   #79
BHPian

IshaanIan: cant think of Forester on my budget...
Keeping eyes wide open.
Will also go through the other thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...est-worst.html
Old 24th August 2019, 11:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Taking a look at this thread in 2019...
It appears the only options on the market new with hydraulic steering, are the Fiats. Am I right? So apart from a new Punto or Linea, practical used options may be:
  • An older Ford: Figo up to 2014, Fiesta Classic up to 2015, Ikon up to 2010
  • Civic up to 2012
  • Palio
  • The older Santro
Old 24th September 2019, 15:21   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
I have a Linea, an X1 and a Ritz.

The first two come with hydraulic units and I will probably put the Linea's above the X1's in terms of feel. That Steering just feels right, it's beautifully weighted and the chassis complements it extremely well (it is understeery, but super fun to drive around on ghats). And the way the wheel is designed, with perfect notches for your thumbs, makes for a very satisfying driving experience.

On the other extreme, is the VW Polo. That is one of the lightest steering's i've encountered and i absolutely hate it. In fact, even the Polo R Cup race car comes with the same EPS and on that, even with a proper sports steering wheel, full-blown racing dampers & springs, slick tyres and a stiffened chassis, it feels DEAD.
That car handles like it was on rails, (how else can you match/beat a Gallardo on track with a tiny 130hp engine?!) but the steering lacks any feedback what-so-ever :(
I'm looking for a replacement for my Linea and did TD of Superb and X1. Superb lacked the feedback and feel and X1 fared better compared to Superb but Linea excels at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
My car (F30 328i) has the feature you guys are referring to. When you switch to Sports mode, the steering stiffens up quite a bit.

But my point is - that is only stiffness. That doesn't have the feedback and natural road feel that the previous generation (E90) had. It is artifical stiffness, like a really stiff video game console device.

Its not because of suspension. I had my car upgraded to the M-Performance suspension (which is the stiffest, almost comparable to M3's suspension) which make the car stay absolutely flat through corners.

Its not the wheels & tires either. I had those upgraded too.

Its the electric steering. It just doesn't transmit as much feedback as the hydraulic ones.

Having said that, (of all the cars I've driven so far) the BMW electric steering comes closest to the hydraulic feel. Its close, but definitely not there.

The problem is, most people won't notice the difference. We will.
Summarises my thoughts exactly
This is what I was saying to my cousin yesterday that though X1 Fared better compared to Superb in steering dept, Linea excels at it.

Quote:
It appears the only options on the market new with hydraulic steering, are the Fiats. Am I right? So apart from a new Punto or Linea, practical used options may be:
  • Civic up to 2012
  • Palio
  • The older Santro
Hence, no replacement for my Linea and it seems I either got to live with the same car or be prepared to compromise on the steering.

Five years ago, I did TD of rapid, City, vento and Linea. I drove them all extensively in City and on highways. Linea came the winner due to the following reasons- I felt very confident in driving the car at high speeds, cornering was very good, braking excellent, quick lane changes between slow/fast moving vehicles was a breeze. Had the Linea powered by a more potent engine, I would not be writing all these here. i.e. I won't be looking for a replacement at all!

Dunno how many of you noticed, Linea has the best suspension setup, very comfortable seats with excellent thigh support for all passengers in its category.
GladRagu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 03:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

There is one weird option for steering feel, although I haven't tried it I bet it is going to be good: The base Alto, the "standard" one . It still comes without a power steering, I wonder if it is the last non-PS car on sale.
Old 26th September 2019, 00:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

The funny thing is that the Civic 8th gen also had a hydraulic unit. Even the linea and Punto had a hydraulic system.

However, it was only the civic PS that is known to have issues. I've got the rack replaced recently and the steering pump replaced as well owing to the same issue - leakage.
Old 30th September 2019, 14:54   #84
BHPian

Quote:
  • Civic up to 2012
  • Palio
  • The older Santro

I have a Tata Hexa now. And AFAIK, it has a hydraulic power steering.

Btw, the Hexa handles REALLY well considering how big and heavy that thing is.
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 23:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is one weird option for steering feel, although I haven't tried it I bet it is going to be good: The base Alto, the "standard" one . It still comes without a power steering, I wonder if it is the last non-PS car on sale.
Adding to this weird choice: The Eeco is still available with a non-power steering.

Looks like we are pretty much at the end of the road for non-electric steering systems. It is between the Fiats and the dated Marutis (base Alto, Eeco).
Old 14th January 2020, 04:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It appears the only options on the market new with hydraulic steering, are the Fiats. Am I right?
Add the Innova/Fortuner to your list.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 04:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Aha! I had no idea.

Although I must admit - SUVs / MUVs hardly excite me in this context.
Still, good to know!
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 07:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all a weird option, it has a go-kart feeling to it.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:51   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
As well as the Tata Harrier.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 10:52   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

I know that the TUV 300 gets a Hydraulic Power Steering, as oxymoronic as that sounds. Is this hydraulic or not? (Mahindra calls it a power assisted hydraulic steering).

Most Viewed