Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 15:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Swift: OEM Clock LCD problem

The dashboard clock (OEM fitment with the car) in my 2008 September Swift VDi has started showing symptoms of LCD panel issues recently. When starting in the morning, most of the segments are not lit up and some of them eventually light up by the time I reach office. Here is a sample of how it looks like after reaching office.

Maruti Swift: OEM Clock LCD problem-wp_20150325_002.jpg

This is dependent on the temperature I guess, since the display is fine if parked in hot sun. Home parking is in the basement and is much colder.

Now to the question: Could this be caused by a weak battery nearing the end of its usable life? The battery was replaced in 2012 January and has crossed 3 years now - same as the previous stint. My brother recollects some issue with the clock just before the old battery was replaced, which got corrected automatically with the new battery. If this is a likely explanation, what could be the underlying reason, since a small LCD display like this should only take a very minimal current?

If no, what else could be the issue? In my other car which is another 2008 Swift, I came across this issue in 2011 and I ended up replacing the clock through MASS for ~1700 after placing an order with the factory. At that point, I thought it to be a one-off issue and didn't bother much about replacing the same. However, seeing the second Swift also develop same symptom made me wonder if this is something that other Swift owners have also faced. Anyone else with similar experience?

In our case, both the cars used to be parked in hot sun during most days.
Old 25th March 2015, 16:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift: OEM Clock LCD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
This is dependent on the temperature I guess, since the display is fine if parked in hot sun. Home parking is in the basement and is much colder.
One possibility is moisture. Have see this behavior in other cal electricals that was traced to moisture. Heat evaporates it and makes the problem go away.

Quote:
Now to the question: Could this be caused by a weak battery nearing the end of its usable life? The battery was replaced in 2012 January and has crossed 3 years now - same as the previous stint. My brother recollects some issue with the clock just before the old battery was replaced, which got corrected automatically with the new battery.
That could indicate to a settings issue. Removing batters resets settings.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 23:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift: OEM Clock LCD problem

Our 2010 Swift has exactly the same issue for over a year. During the last service in 2014, we inquired with the dealer for a replacement of the clock but it wasn't available. The car is due for servicing this month, will check again about the availability.

I don't think that battery is the issue. We are using the car for more than a year with this issue in the clock, and it is running absolutely fine. There is no problem with the battery (our car is still running with the factory fitted battery).

In addition to your observation of clock getting normal after being exposed to sun, I have also observed that sometimes it gets normal even after gently pressing on the display.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 12:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Swift: OEM Clock LCD problem

Quote:
I ended up replacing the clock through MASS for ~1700 after placing an order with the factory.
Going by posts on this thread, you could've bought 3 clocks for that money . I'd suggest just replacing it. Availability isn't an issue either.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going by posts on this thread, you could've bought 3 clocks for that money . I'd suggest just replacing it. Availability isn't an issue either.
I gave the benefit of doubt to Maruti the first time as a possible one-off issue with just my particular piece and thought it is okay to stick to original one since the Rs. 500 MGA needed cutting the wires to the clock and changing the connector pins. Also, I had liked the auto-dimming of the clock when I turned on the park light so that it is bright during the day and not distracting during the night.

When it becomes 2 out of 2 in my case, it it clearly due to sub-standard quality of the part which is going to exist even in the replacement piece that they charge exorbitant rates. So no more OEM replacement.

At this point, I'll pad something inside the frame of the clock from the inside to keep it pressed which worked for me last time for a few months. After that the pressure was not sufficient and I ended up replacing it.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 15:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Seems the connector to LCD or LCD is failing, you can try to dismantle and check if terminals of LCD can be accessed and cleaned using some alcohol based cleaner, as a last option. If not you need a new unit.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2015 at 12:33. Reason: Typo
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems the connector to LCD or LCD is failing, you can try to dismantle and check if terminals of LCD can be accessed and cleaned using some alcohol based cleaner, as a last option. If not you need a new unit.
I have similar issue in my 8 years old Swift. The issue is there for 3 years now. The connectors are fine as I got that checked a number of times.Sometimes, applying pressure on LCD helps.

Finally today, I got original OEM from MGA shop. Question is, can I change the clock myself?

Last edited by sourabhzen : 30th June 2016 at 11:59.
Old 30th June 2016, 12:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Finally today, I got original OEM from MGA shop. Question is, can I change the clock myself?
Look at the new clock, if it is held in place using clips then you can just pry gently out the current one (careful don't scratch the dashboard) and replace the same. Wiring usually is a snap on just ensure that the connectors are at a place that is accessible, most likely you will have to open the HU part to access the same if otehrwise.

If you are a DIY person, you can give it a try or any accessory shop will fix it in 10 mts.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 11:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you are a DIY person, you can give it a try or any accessory shop will fix it in 10 mts.
I am a DIY person for everything but my car. I get too scared to fail in my attempt and thus rely on the experts on car related issues. However, yesterday I took a chance to change the clock myself. It was piece of cake and the whole process took less than 10 minutes. Only issue is the short cable that connects with the clock. It was impossible to look behind the clock and attach the connector but the guess work helped and connected it in two attempts.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks