Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2015, 08:15   #31
BANNED

Re: No boost from Turbocharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Sorry. ..it was in the thread title but later changed by mods. The engine is 1.8 tsi with DSG doing duty on a Skoda Superb.
Thank you for disclosing the car and the engine for which this thread has been created.

There is a company Turbo Energy Limited (TEL) who supply the turbo for many cars, CV, gensets etc. They are pretty reliable and cheaper too. Why not contact them and see if they are of any help.

http://www.turboenergy.co.in/index.html

From their index on their website, they don't make Turbo's for cars from the Skoda/VW stable but nevertheless you can give it a try.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 11:31   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I'm also glad to see that you actually do read manuals when the need arises I assume, contrary to your earlier statement:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3649635
If you see my post, I've clearly mentioned 'Only use it in a need-based style' . As an example, I 'needed' to refer to the Skoda Superb manual for this thread, as I had 'needed' to refer to the Tata, Maruti etc. owners manuals for the turbo idling article I published earlier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
There is a company Turbo Energy Limited (TEL) who supply the turbo for many cars, CV, gensets etc. They are pretty reliable and cheaper too. Why not contact them and see if they are of any help.

http://www.turboenergy.co.in/index.html
Though I have no personal experience with them, have heard good things about Turbo Energy. Nice suggestion
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 13:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
They told me that turbo needs to be rebuilt with a new core from KKK. They would let me know the price tomorrow. The other option would be to go for a brand new unit for 72k.
Novice I spoke to the delhi distributor of Garret-Honeywell Turbo Technologies India. They are the oem suppliers and are willing to sell the turbo on retail basis. He said off hand he could not quote a price however if you were to email the part-number to dat_delhi011@yahoo.com he would get back to you.

The Coimbatore dealer is
Sri Nandhini Power Solution
3/4 , Arunachala Gounder Street
Near Saibaba Kovil, Mettupalayam Road
K.K. Pudur
Coimbatore 641 038
Tel: 0091 0422 6535 972
nandhini_power@yahoo.co.in

The Mumbai dealer is
Agromach Spares Corporation
194-D Gaiwadi Compound, Girgaum Road
Mumbai 400 004
Tel: 0091 22 2382 6211
0091 22 2382 4236
dieselsc@bom5.vsnl.net.in
shady_lawyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you for disclosing the car and the engine for which this thread has been created.

There is a company Turbo Energy Limited (TEL) who supply the turbo for many cars, CV, gensets etc. They are pretty reliable and cheaper too. Why not contact them
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Novice I spoke to the delhi distributor of Garret-Honeywell Turbo Technologies India. They are the oem suppliers and are willing to sell the turbo on retail basis. He said off hand he could not quote a price however if you were to email the part-number to dat_delhi011@yahoo.com he would get back to you
Thanks a lot for the information. I am sure many others would find this info useful. I decided to go for rebuild with a new core due to cost advantage. Total cost worked out Rs.27000(25.5K for part and 1.5K for rebuilding).

I had a look at the catalytic converter but there wasn't a drop of oil. It was clean. I am wondering where did all the oil go. I would be getting the car tomorrow if all goes well. I am hoping it was the turbo at fault and there are no other hidden issues.
Old 13th April 2015, 14:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

A second hand turbo is never reliable. Think of it, turbo is part of an engine, why would someone sell a turbo, without the engine, or vice versa?

Also, a turbo rebuild basically means replacing the entire core assy (not for huge turbos) which makes the turbo as good as brand new. Only the shell is used, which is just a housing for the compressor.
Turbos may be sold due to upgrades. My turbo is second hand, albeit less used when i bought. I never knew the guy who sold it and did not ask why he sold. So second hand can be reliable.
Rebuilds are good if done correctly. Get good quality rebuild kit and rebuild it by professional guys. Make sure impellers are balanced properly after rebuild.
Old 13th April 2015, 17:43   #36
BANNED

Quote:
I decided to go for rebuild with a new core due to cost advantage. Total cost worked out Rs.27000 (25.5K for part and 1.5K for rebuilding).
Great news. Good that you have gone for a rebuild and where is this work being done?

Quote:
I had a look at the catalytic converter but there wasn't a drop of oil. It was clean. I am wondering where did all the oil go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Turbos may be sold due to upgrades. My turbo is second hand, albeit less used when i bought.
I can say you are lucky to have that second hand turbo working well in your car (BTW, which car is it?!).

With such a niche in the market for Turbo rebuild or for that matter new ones, I am hearing for the first time that a Turbo is available as second hand.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:55   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had a look at the catalytic converter but there wasn't a drop of oil. It was clean. I am wondering where did all the oil go...
Oil, if at all leaks to the exhaust side, will just burn off. You cant see it.

Did you check and clean the intake plumbing?
Old 20th April 2016, 02:58   #38
BHPian

What are very early signs of Turbocharger Issues

Hi All,

I am seeking some inputs on the very early signs of a turbocharger issue.

The car in question is Audi A6 2.0TDI Automatic with 92000 miles on ODO going absoloutely buttersmooth.

Just yesterday, when I swithced the ignition off, I did not feel the coasting down sound of the turbocharger. During the drive, I have somehow feeling that I was using throttle a tad bit more than usual. However when on cruise control, I was comfortably making 70 mph at 1800-1900 rpm range which is same as always.

Can this be hinting at something. I am leaving UK for good by Decemeber and hence if in real incipient state, I can
1. dispose car
2. replace with reconditioned turbocharger (nearly 90000 Rs expense)

On the particular day, car had 140 miles run again buttersmooth and there are no engine warnings / errors codes being thrown as of now.

My gutfeel is I am over reacting to having missed coasting down sound. Unfortunately out for workrelated travel and hence can't replicate the same any sooner.

Rgds!
Old 20th April 2016, 06:05   #39
BHPian

Re: What are very early signs of Turbocharger Issues

Well common signs of a failing turbo can be:-
1. Whining noise, particularly when it kicks in. Did you notice any unusual whining noise(not your regular turbo whistle)? If yes then it might be a sing of a failing compressor wheel.
2. A failing turbo will lead to a smokey exhaust and a very sluggish performance.
Now coming to the symptoms pointed out by you, pushing more A paddle than usual might hint towards a failing turbo but it could also be a one of a case. It might also have been due to bad fuel quality, high ambient temperatures etc. I would suggest you to keep it under observation for few more drives, if the situation constantly repeats itself then it may be a problem. Also make sure that fuel delivery system is also upto mark.
One more thing that you can do it to hook your car up on an OBD scanner and observe the boost that turbo is making, it will reveal about the turbo's health.
Coming to the other thing pointed out by you i.e no spooling down sound after a shut down, it is not a general rule that you will hear a sound after shut down. If you keep your engine on a prolonged idle state before a shut down or have been driving at a really low speed before shut down then you won't hear that sound.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 11:44   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the reply.

The 140 miles drive prior to the observation was absolutely normal. Being a marine engineer I think I am into habit of picking up even faintest of the noise signature hence quite sure about it.
No smoke, no error codes etc. Guess can rule out bad fuel in UK. Exhaust though smokeless, smells strange but then this is first diesel I am having.
So guess need to pay up40 quids for running diagnostics.

But thanks anyways.

Rgds
Old 20th April 2016, 19:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
So guess need to pay up40 quids for running diagnostics.

But thanks anyways.

Rgds
You might also want to check the turbo plumbing for any sort of leaks or lose connection at hose end. Have you ever got your intercooler cleaned?
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:47   #42
BHPian

Hi
Touchwood all ok. No issues. Checked plumbing.planning for 300 miles weekend drive.
Cheers

Most Viewed