Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 19:28   #1
BHPian

No boost from Turbocharger

The car is May 2011 model with 45000 kms on the Odo. Everything was fine until a week ago. I left the car in a garage in HSR Layout for a small suspension work. The next morning I noticed Turbo not working. The mechanic was acting little suspicious but I have no conclusive proof. I do realise there is no point in doing a post mortem on that.

This is my first turbo car and I have no clue on how to go about troubleshooting the problem. I have couple of questions to experts out here, please help me.

1) How do I diagnose the problem and conclude that the turbo needs to be replaced?
2) Can it be repaired?
3) Any suggestions on a good independent garage in Bangalore who can work on Turbos
4) Worst case scenario - What is the damage I should expect if I goto Skoda dealer.

Please help me to get the car back to it's glory with minimal monetary damage.

Thanks.

PS: Mods..Please don't close the thread. I did use the search function but couldn't find what I need.
Old 8th April 2015, 19:56   #2
BHPian

re: No boost from Turbocharger

Hi,

By turbo not working, you must have probably meant that you do not get the usual boost in the usual rpm ranges.

Turbo failing at 45k is very unlikely. But anyways check the following:

1. Excess smoke coming from exhaust while revving.
2. Loud whining sound when you rev between the turbo rpm ranges.
3. Loss in power. May or may not indicate failed turbo.

If the above 3 things are observed, then turbo might have failed or have developed leaks in the plumbing.

Apart from these check for a clogged air filter, oil leaks, inspect the car for error codes. A faulty wastegate actuator can also cause the turbo to stop working.
Old 8th April 2015, 20:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

I am betting that a hose got dislodged, check all the piping
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 21:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post
Hi,

By turbo not working, you must have probably meant that you do not get the usual boost in the usual rpm ranges.

Turbo failing at 45k is very unlikely. But anyways check the following:

1. Excess smoke coming from exhaust while revving.
2. Loud whining sound when you rev between the turbo rpm ranges.
3. Loss in power. May or may not indicate failed turbo.

If the above 3 things are observed, then turbo might have failed or have developed leaks in the plumbing.

Apart from these check for a clogged air filter, oil leaks, inspect the car for error codes. A faulty wastegate actuator can also cause the turbo to stop working.
Thanks for the advice. The engine is behaving like a naturally aspirated one, there is simply no sign of boost at any RPM. I did check for error codes, three was one related cam shaft sensor. The mechanic cleared it but it didn't reappear after few kms of driving. Apart from lack of boost the engine is behaving normally - no unusual noise, vibrations and no error messages in the dashboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I am betting that a hose got dislodged, check all the piping
Thanks ajmat. Would you be able to suggest a trusted garage in Bangalore?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th April 2015 at 01:13. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating back-to-back posts in quick succession.
Old 9th April 2015, 08:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can try with Bay-6 on Hosa road. There is address provided on team-bhp directory.
kutlee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 09:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

I would have thought the garage where we both saw the Mondeo, would be able resolve.

It could also be a disconnected wastegate issue BTW
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 11:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

a disconnected wastegate can lead to boost creep. May be open wastegate leads to low boost.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 13:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
You can try with Bay-6 on Hosa road. There is address provided on team-bhp directory.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am at bay-6 right now. Initial check up didn't show any obvious problem and there were no error codes. Decided to remove the turbo and inspect.

@Ajmat: I did think about them and I go there often (Car Mechs) but they take lot of time to take up the work.

Last edited by novice : 9th April 2015 at 14:00.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 15:11   #9
BHPian

also check for engine temperature sensor, if its shot, it may be giving a higher temperature reading leading to turbo being taken offline to prevent damage.
Old 9th April 2015, 15:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Thanks for the advice. The engine is behaving like a naturally aspirated one, there is simply no sign of boost at any RPM. I did check for error codes, three was one related cam shaft sensor. The mechanic cleared it but it didn't reappear after few kms of driving. Apart from lack of boost the engine is behaving normally - no unusual noise, vibrations and no error messages in the dashboard.
?
Not quite sure what you mean. How many codes did you get, which ones. Did you use a generic code reader or a manufacturer specific?

At this point in time, I'm not even sure whether it is the turbo or turbo related at all. But I understand you are at a workshop, lets see what they say. Hope they can find the problem

Jeroen
Old 9th April 2015, 15:55   #11
BHPian

Dear BHPian

Please check the connection on Boost pressure sensor, Intake manifold pressure sensor and also check for Exhaust back pressure.
Old 9th April 2015, 16:23   #12
BHPian

Please check the vacuum pipes(small in size). These pipes connect to the two valves with sensors. You can see two or three T Plastic joints to these pipes.
The mechanic would have snapped the pipe while fitting the struts or the turbo Booster valve pipe.
narendra.vw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 17:23   #13
BHPian

Re: No boost from Turbocharger

I thank everyone for suggestions and advice.

We drove around with a laptop connected to the port. There was no abnormal reading from any sensor and no error codes. I am told that there is no problem with any of the hoses. But they are saying there is considerable play in the shaft. I could see the play but I don't know how much is too much. Taking it to a turbo rebuilder on JC road.

What should I do? Should I go for the rebuild or go for a new unit. I want the engine to perform to its full potential. Would a rebuild live up to the expectation?
Thanks.

Last edited by novice : 9th April 2015 at 17:33.
Old 9th April 2015, 18:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should I do? Should I go for the rebuild or go for a new unit. I want the engine to perform to its full potential. Would a rebuild live up to the expectation?
Thanks.
Rebuild will be just as good if done right and with OEM CHRA. At Bay6 you're safe they will do it the right way.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 18:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I thank everyone for suggestions and advice.
But they are saying there is considerable play in the shaft. I could see the play but I don't know how much is too much. Taking it to a turbo rebuilder on JC road.

Thanks.
If the engine is losing oil drastically through exhaust, Then the play in the turbine shaft comes into play. Remove the inlet hose see if any oil residue is present in the hose or inter cooler & how much? they are the tell tale sign of a worn shaft.
Please don't go for rebuild. At the least, you can go for a second hand from a trusted place.
narendra.vw is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks