Team-BHP - The tyre eating swift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   The tyre eating swift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/16322-tyre-eating-swift-2.html)

Quote:

also is he carrying any heavy loads in his car ?
I don't think thats the case, bcos the tyres are wearing out from the outside. A loaded car will generally have negative camber, which will wear out the inner side.

Maybe you should use a lil extra negative camber than stock (thats if the suspension allows that to be altered). That might compensate for the positive camber caused by what ever reason it might be.

Shan2nu

Am curious to see those 2 sets of tyres ( JK and michelin) as to what kind of torture they have been through. Evrybody is curious to see them and it would really be helpful if you could post some pics.

Check your wheel balancing, I am not sure it works the same way as with Alloys, but that could solve the problem I presume. I always maintain 35 for my tires, well I've got 205 R15", so I guess 32/33 would be ideal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarchist
Check your wheel balancing, I am not sure it works the same way as with Alloys, but that could solve the problem I presume. I always maintain 35 for my tires, well I've got 205 R15", so I guess 32/33 would be ideal.

Hey what has wheel balancing got to do anything with such rapid tyre wear?if balancing was out there would be a vibration on the steering wheel
Dude i cant believe it that your car eating tyres as if they cost nothing.Get it done asap and then only start using it for your normal use as car consuming tyres at this rate would definately be unsafe in some department or the other.

if alignment is fine....
Driver is fine....
tyre quality is fine...
tyre pressure is fine...
roads exist...
Rear tyre also wearing...

I fail to see any reason.... check the facts.

BTW is the spare also .. wearing out lying there? ;)

I think some thing wrong with the driving style. Or let Maruti people saye something about it. Get the vehicle checked by some expert.

Not an expert, but just guessing, ... Could wheel bearing be culprit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I don't think thats the case, bcos the tyres are wearing out from the outside. A loaded car will generally have negative camber, which will wear out the inner side.

Maybe you should use a lil extra negative camber than stock (thats if the suspension allows that to be altered). That might compensate for the positive camber caused by what ever reason it might be.

I think it's the other way round. See the section titled "Diagnosing problems from tyre wear" in the following website:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Quoting from this website:

Quote:

Problem -- Shoulder wear -- Both shoulders wearing faster than the centre of the tread.
Cause -- Under-inflation/Repeated high-speed cornering/Improper matching of rims and tyres/Tyres haven't been rotated recently

Problem -- Centre wear -- The centre of the tread is wearing faster than shoulders.
Cause -- Over-inflation/Improper matching of rims and tyres/Tyres haven't been rotated recently
The problem here is quite clear to me -- under-inflation of all tyres. So you see all four tyres wearing out from the outside. Over-inflation will cause greater wear at the centre. So firstly the pressures used are lower than recommended for stock tyres on Swift -- increase pressures to company-recommended values. Over-inflate by 2-3 psi for highway drives. Secondly, the tyre pressures need to be checked at least once a week initially -- if they are holding can reduce frequency to once in two weeks. Thirdly and most importantly, make sure that the pressures are right -- cross-check the bunk pressures with a high-quality pressure gauge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
I think it's the other way round. See the section titled "Diagnosing problems from tyre wear" in the following website:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Quoting from this website:

The problem here is quite clear to me -- under-inflation of all tyres. So you see all four tyres wearing out from the outside. Over-inflation will cause greater wear at the centre. So firstly the pressures used are lower than recommended for stock tyres on Swift -- increase pressures to company-recommended values. Over-inflate by 2-3 psi for highway drives. Secondly, the tyre pressures need to be checked at least once a week initially -- if they are holding can reduce frequency to once in two weeks. Thirdly and most importantly, make sure that the pressures are right -- cross-check the bunk pressures with a high-quality pressure gauge.

Shan2nu has explained it correctly about tyre wear with negative camber due to excess load in the car...

Your point is also valid but its all about tyre wear caused due to tyre pressure

I'm still :Shockked: Jktyres finished in 8K kms.....n Michelins lasting more than that...I would suggest to get MRF ZVTS next....

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen
Shan2nu has explained it correctly about tyre wear with negative camber due to excess load in the car...

Your point is also valid but its all about tyre wear caused due to tyre pressure

Yes, that's right -- my apologies. Shan2nu was focussing on the effect of higher loads on the camber, whereas I was reasoning that higher loads on under-inflated tyres should produce greater wear on the shoulders. I personally think that the problem is with tyre pressures -- you can't rely on bunk gauges and also pressures may need more frequent monitoring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
I personally think that the problem is with tyre pressures -- you can't rely on bunk gauges and also pressures may need more frequent monitoring.

Thats possible yaar..!!!
But to finish an Indian made Jktyre(high profile) in under 10K kms n assuming normal driving is next to impossible (Just my view)

Normally stock tyres provided have longer life, more noisy n less grip...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen
Thats possible yaar..!!!
But to finish an Indian made Jktyre(high profile) in under 10K kms n assuming normal driving is next to impossible (Just my view)

I agree -- that is extreme. But consider the following worst-case scenario. As per morten, the tyre pressures maintained were 29-30 psi, about 3-4 psi below the company-recommended settings (33 psi?). Assume that the tyre pressures were checked once a month during which they might have dropped by another 2-3 psi. Now consider the possibility that the bunk(s) where the tyre pressures were checked showed excess reading by 3-4 psi -- that could add up to 10 psi below company-recommended settings. If this assumption is correct, the mileage and pick-up should have dropped considerably as compared to normal for a Swift. Plus there might have been greater tyre noise due to low pressures.

u said he's on stock tyres and not alloys, then how does he have 185 rubber ?!
stock rims come with 165 !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikefreak
u said he's on stock tyres and not alloys, then how does he have 185 rubber ?!
stock rims come with 165 !!

Stock rims 14"
Stock tyres 165/80-14"

Got upsized tyres 185/70-14" on stock rims....

One reason why i'd rule out low tyre pressure.

This was how "Morten" had described the tyre wear on his car.

"" the tyres go from the outside towards the inside and the whole tyre is gone and the steel wires come out from outside of the tyre. The strange thing is rear tyres also go the same way.the tyre pressure was always maintained to 29-30.the alignment and camber was always ok.i guess the car is defective but cant tell what is wrong.""

Using low tyre pressure should wear out both the inner and outer shoulders. But in this case, the wear starts from the outer shoulder and then moves inwards. This can only be caused due to positive camber or very hard cornering (like what we do on racet tracks).

This diagram will help understand what i'm talking about.

Positive and Negative Camber

As you can see, when a car has +ve camber, the outer shoulder of the tyre is taking most of the cars weight. This will also cause the contact path to reduce and make the tyre heatup and wear out faster than usual.

Shan2nu