Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 19:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Automatic: Gearbox problem?

As an AT car owner for the past 4 years, I can state that the biggest fear one has is something going wrong with the gearbox. The fact is that slushboxes are usually imported as black boxes and even the company's ASS often have a tough time dealing with gearbox problems. Samurai's i10 AT woes come to mind; a friend of mine who bought a Vento AT identical to mine faced some problems as well. In both cases if memory serves right the problem went away rather than was actively resolved by ASS.

I think you should just walk away from the deal, in all honesty. You'll certainly find another Scorpio AT that works as it is supposed to!
Old 5th May 2015, 22:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hondadude and SS. You guys have a point. I do need to keep looking for another. But still I would visit M&M guys just to hear what they have to say.

Noopster, how lucky of your friends that problem just went away on its own.

Now I'm not buying this car but I would request Teambhp not to close this thread. Let this unique problem be a case study. I would keep visiting just to see if someone sheds some light on this queer problem. It can happen to any other car, too. I still want to analyse how this car can behave like demure Dr Jekyll in traffic and wild Mr Hyde on highway.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:33   #18
BHPian

This is what my friend's Scorpio AT went through. The engine used to hold the revvs till 3k RPM and then 2/3 gear shift would happen with an abrupt Thud. This problem amplifies on an incline. ASS changed the engine oil which costs about Rs 40k (2k per litre * 20 ltrs. Testing was done for 400 odd kms, car was taken to Ooty. Total bill was 50-60k which was covered under warranty. Issue resolved.
Old 7th May 2015, 00:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
This is what my friend's Scorpio AT went through. The engine used to hold the revvs till 3k RPM and then 2/3 gear shift would happen with an abrupt Thud. This problem amplifies on an incline. ASS changed the engine oil which costs about Rs 40k (2k per litre * 20 ltrs. Testing was done for 400 odd kms, car was taken to Ooty. Total bill was 50-60k which was covered under warranty. Issue resolved.
20 litres oil and 2K per litre?
What kind of figures are they?
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 23:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Forty thousand for oil change? Hellllllo, it's Scorpio. Not Range Rover! And I thought Scorpio is cheap and cheerful. Use, use and abuse misuse. Anything goes wrong, drive down to nearest dealer toss the keys and walk away. Go back after a few days to pick up your ride and be handed a wallet-friendly bill. Am I wrong? I guess, high expenses will only be for AT box. Still 40K. I need to check this. Because I'm anyway buying a pre-owned Scorp AT so I might as well be prepared. BTW, your friend's case looks like just this one here. So, there is a cure.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 05:04   #21
Team-BHP Support

Was the delayed shifting behavior noticed at all times, or was it particularly from cold start situations? I've noticed the autobox on my car hold to lower gears longer when i have started driving after the car was parked idle for a few hours (office working hours).
Old 8th May 2015, 11:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
When we slot into D and let go of the brake, it picked up but thereafter engine revs rose but car didn't pick up nor did it change to 2nd / 3rd. 2nd/3rd came up at around 3K rpm (high for a diesel car). By this time engine screamed sitting just there.
From my limited knowledge, I think the transmission is fried. Please read the below post (and 2 posts below it) where someone describes a similar problem and a bill of nearly one lakh.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3429260

Last edited by jinojohnt : 8th May 2015 at 11:30.
Old 8th May 2015, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Benbsb, the car exhibited the described trait through entire drive. Starting from cold start to end of the 30-minute drive. 1st to 2nd to 3rd change accompanied by tacho needle visits to screaming 3000 rpm. But from 4th onwards (60 kph) it turned into the usual Scropio beast and took off to 140 in no time. Highway drive was superb. But in-city was horrible. Car labouring and screaming.

Jino, thanks a lot for directing me to the thread. I think my problem is same as Ashutush's Cruze AT. But at post #309, Benu describes his Scorpio AT hitting 3.6K rpm. Isn't that too high?

Yesterday, we took the car to local dealer. They went for a drive, came back and said nothing wrong. This is how Scorpio AT runs. I don't know what to say. May be I need to try the other dealer (we have 2 M&M dealers in town). Because I have driven 3 different Scorpios (all of 2009) and they flew from the word go. They were faster-accelerating than even their MT versions, and through all gears from 1 to 6.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

3600 rpm may be high, but he hasn't mentioned any rpm irregularity at different gears. But in this case, you are mentioning about rpm irregularity only on gears 1,2 and 3. That is why I said it could be something with the transmission. Just to be sure, you can ask the owner to get the transmission fluid changed/'level corrected' and check again.
PS: I have an A-star AT, hence my keen interest in this thread

Last edited by jinojohnt : 8th May 2015 at 15:25.
Old 8th May 2015, 21:51   #25
BHPian

40k (2k * 20 litres) was for the transmission oil and not engine oil like I mentioned before.

Sorry!
Old 8th May 2015, 23:14   #26
BHPian

Quick heads up,

Walk away from the deal, Unless you got deep pockets to replace the entire Auto transmission.

The scorpio AT looks like its not only used,but abused too.

Currently i am having my Honda Accord AT gear box completely overhauled and the cost is 1,04,456/-

I am in love with this car and i am not giving up anytime soon.

The AT expert told me that he was quiet surprised that my Accord lasted 122,000 kms without any AT repairs expect fluid changes.

He pointed out towards another accord of the same model which had just clocked 49,000 kms and needed a gearbox overhaul !

Please skip the deal.
Old 10th May 2015, 00:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
Quick heads up,

Walk away from the deal, Unless you got deep pockets to replace the entire Auto transmission.

The scorpio AT looks like its not only used,but abused too.

Currently i am having my Honda Accord AT gear box completely overhauled and the cost is 1,04,456/-

I am in love with this car and i am not giving up anytime soon.

The AT expert told me that he was quiet surprised that my Accord lasted 122,000 kms without any AT repairs expect fluid changes.

He pointed out towards another accord of the same model which had just clocked 49,000 kms and needed a gearbox overhaul !

Please skip the deal.
MrIncredible, since it is Scorpio gearbox trouble thread, I did not want to respond to post #5 about where the poster spoke about DSG blowing Torque Converter (TC) into weeds etc. But I wonder if he has really driven an Accord V6. Last year I was bent on getting a pre-owned Laura diesel DSG or Cruze AT and drove several examples. Did not understand what all the fuss about DSG is. It was hesitant off startline and shifts did not seem faster than TC to me. At least not noticeable. Cruze AT seemed just as quick.

Coming to Accord, my cousin bought a 2005 Accord 3.0 V6 with 45 K KM on odo last year March. He used it till Feb mid and after that went to US for a few months on assignment. Since last March to this Feb. He drove like it was his enemy's car. Yet, not a day spent in garage. And acceleration? Oh my God. It just butchers almost all D segment cars in acceleration. Yes, it is big and barge-like and wallowy on corners. But in a straight line it will kill most other cars in its class. Wheels spin on first 3 gears. But, on the downside, it has none of that sporty exhaust note big American V6's have. I take it out for occassional spin once in a while since March this year and oh my god. I grin like a child every time I step on the go pedal. I think those 5 lakhs are my cuz's best-spent money. You can't have more bang for your money than this. Yes, it drinks fuel. Granny style driving would get you 9 to 10 kpl. But then why drive a V6 then? Explosive acceleration driving would give you 6 to 7 kpl. But I say it is a small price to pay for the fun you have. This car should be bought as an additional fun car, apart from having a econo diesel car as daily drive.
Old 16th May 2015, 16:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
MrIncredible, since it is Scorpio gearbox trouble thread, I did not want to respond to post #5 about where the poster spoke about DSG blowing Torque Converter (TC) into weeds etc. But I wonder if he has really driven an Accord V6. Last year I was bent on getting a pre-owned Laura diesel DSG or Cruze AT and drove several examples. Did not understand what all the fuss about DSG is. It was hesitant off startline and shifts did not seem faster than TC to me. At least not noticeable. Cruze AT seemed just as quick.

Coming to Accord, my cousin bought a 2005 Accord 3.0 V6 with 45 K KM on odo last year March. He used it till Feb mid and after that went to US for a few months on assignment. Since last March to this Feb. He drove like it was his enemy's car. Yet, not a day spent in garage. And acceleration? Oh my God. It just butchers almost all D segment cars in acceleration. Yes, it is big and barge-like and wallowy on corners. But in a straight line it will kill most other cars in its class. Wheels spin on first 3 gears. But, on the downside, it has none of that sporty exhaust note big American V6's have. I take it out for occassional spin once in a while since March this year and oh my god. I grin like a child every time I step on the go pedal. I think those 5 lakhs are my cuz's best-spent money. You can't have more bang for your money than this. Yes, it drinks fuel. Granny style driving would get you 9 to 10 kpl. But then why drive a V6 then? Explosive acceleration driving would give you 6 to 7 kpl. But I say it is a small price to pay for the fun you have. This car should be bought as an additional fun car, apart from having a econo diesel car as daily drive.
Pgsagar, I wrote post#5. I think you may have misunderstood me. When I say DSG blows a TC AT into the weeds, I mean the shift times and fuel efficiency, not outright speed of the vehicle. Try being at 40/50/60/70 and then slam the acceleration down. In sports mode. In both types. See how fast the gear changes happen in both.

Obviously, a 3l V6 will beat a 1.2 turbo, no question, twice the power. . Or a cruze.Yes, Its a different thing that my 4 cylinder Accord is slower than my Tsi till 150 and gave me 7 kmpl in my office commute.

Driving a TC AT by itself is great. Smooth when your inputs are normal. In fact, my wife who drives the i10 AT couldnt make out the difference with the polo DSG, just said it feels more eager.

We also had a civic AT in the family (now replaced by a freelander 2). In both, the gearboxes are competent. But again, in both, shift times are nowhere close to a DSG.

Drive a laura DSG and a cruze AT side by side. Hard, as well as in city traffic with occasional hard throttle to close gaps. And check the fuel efficiency in both. Youd wonder why an engine with 15% more power cant shake a laura dsg off, AND gives worse mileage. Drive a i10/i20/Verna/city/civic AT. And drive a polo/vento/rapid DSG side by side. See which set you had more fun with... I'd like to think how much fun and fuel efficient the accord v6 would be with the DSG.

Of course, do drive the 320d with the ZF 8 speed - best of both worlds, smooth and as fast in shifting.

Last edited by d_himan : 16th May 2015 at 16:58.
Old 15th July 2015, 15:48   #29
BHPian

I had a strange problem since last few days with my 2009 Scorpio AT.

During pickup the Engine would revup but the Gear wont change.

While driving and slowing down in traffic and then trying to gain speed in a open patch, had started becoming a very painful experience I had to release the Accelerator peddle and Press it a few times before the gears would change and this didnt work all the time. Then the check engine light started to lit up occasionally. I was sure that I am in for a huge expense to get this issue resolved. My local garage (well equipped) gave me a estimate of 45,000/- for repairs and then I was wanting to go to Mahindra ASC. I had parked the vehicle and was using my other car for commuting. After a week when I tried to start the car the Engine did crank. Initially I thought that the battery might have drained and called my local car electrician. It turned out that one of the Fuse socket had burnt (See Pics). We couldn't source the original socket but my Electrician fixed it temporarily using heavy duty wire and wire clips. Surprisingly the Scorpio is working wonderfully well after this fix. No GB issues or the Engine check light seen so far since last 4 days. Experts please explain what might have gone wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio Automatic: Gearbox problem?-20150715031207.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Automatic: Gearbox problem?-20150715031208.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Automatic: Gearbox problem?-20150715031211.jpg  

Old 1st September 2015, 15:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Anandkumar, what sensor could it be? Even on flat, it changes to 2nd only when revs touch screaming 3K rpm.
It could be the input or output shaft speed sensor. An OBD scan will show the faults. Repairs are expensive. Sensor costs 6500/- but the ATF is very expensive at 2k per liter. Dont know the type of ATF for Scorpio Automatic. I doubt it is Fuchs Titan 3292
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3570076

Mine had similar problems and is currently in A.S.S. with an initial estimate of 20K now revised to 30K

I'd advice to stay away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks