Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2015, 19:49   #136
BHPian

Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

Customer cars are not for testing! they should be sure of a solution and then apply all or to all those who complain.
You have no idea how many times I've illustrated to VW the exact same thing you just said. What kind of testing are they doing if the problem can re-occur within a week of the software being updated. Since I have started this thread it's already been updated 3 times now, with the mechatronics unit etc also being replaced once (with no bill to prove that because - apparently they forgot to hand it to me, and I forgot to ask in my haste to test the car).

It's frustrating, especially since I like the car so much. So eventually, like all wrongs we cannot right - I have learned to live with the small loss for the bigger gain of stability and rock solid build quality. The jerking still happens sometimes, very rare though - only happened twice yet after the latest update last week.

Last edited by ahmadnaik : 4th October 2015 at 19:50.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:51   #137
BHPian

The post in the link I posted earlier clearly suggests that the software version in the problematic cars is 6202 which is being upgraded into 6203 to fix the 3rd to 2nd gear jerk issue.

If this software upgrade doesn't work then DSG box needs to be replaced and software will be upgraded to 6205. This seems to be VWs guideline circulated to the dealers.
Old 4th October 2015, 20:22   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
No one mentioned anything about a 3/4th tank full of Petrol, and it seems highly unlikely that a full tank or half tank will in any way affect the nature of the update, according to whatever little I do know about the update.

Quote:
I don't understand this. Will the software update harm a car that doesn't jerk?

And if its a software issue, why don't all cars behave the same and they apply new software to all (obviously some may complain and others may not). From this, it looks like a hardware issue, which is being resolved by a software update by slowing things down (maybe only in milliseconds), therefore they don't want to give it to all.
Sorry, was not clear enough on what they said. As per what they said, they would take the car on a ~100km drive as they drive it, they would have their system connected- observe how the car behaves and update/tweak the software as needed depending on the behavior. So if they do not observe any jerks then they will not do any adjustment.

The tank of petrol is for that drive. Nothing related to the update itself. Just to make sure the car has fuel for the duration of the test run and does not run out of fuel. I assume they cannot refuel during the test (Or don't want to spend their money on it )

This is what I got from from them. It does sound a little vague and uncertain. Will actually give the car only after I get more specific info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
Also regarding the skepticism about the jerks - it is extremely sporadic, so it shouldn't trouble most people who are not picky (unfortunately I am the kind that can detect a pea under a hundred mattresses), so go ahead with your trip. You will love the vehicle on highways as much as the city (if you aren't loving it already that is).
Of definitely loving it. Does not trouble me at all now. But I am at ~22000 KM and from your experience you started facing issues post 25-30K km. So if something can be done proactively, would like to get it done.
Old 4th October 2015, 21:24   #139
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Sorry, was not clear enough on what they said. As per what they said, they would take the car on a ~100km drive as they drive it, they would have their system connected- observe how the car behaves and update/tweak the software as needed depending on the behavior. So if they do not observe any jerks then they will not do any adjustment.

The tank of petrol is for that drive.
I've never given the car to my driver or a valet, why would I ever let them take a harsh 100kms drive, which would tax the other components of the car at least 100 times that 100kms, it would just kill the whole car much earlier.

Something similar happened to my 800 in 1997!, when the dealer asked if a road test of this car has happened and we said no. Then he tested a brand new car (less than 500kms on it) in the most horrible way with super maniac driving at redline! (I don't know what was he trying to do!), the car eventually died at 60k kms, while the other 800 we had lasted 2.25lakh kms.

So basically I understand what they mean by 3/4th tank but to me that means 10k kms of wear-tear to the car, considering the way these guys drive. At least I'm paranoid of letting these guys drive alone, that too to test jerks in smaller gears which normally occur with sudden/ drastic change in driving styles.

Last edited by SLK : 4th October 2015 at 21:26.
SLK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 10:54   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So basically I understand what they mean by 3/4th tank but to me that means 10k kms of wear-tear to the car, considering the way these guys drive. At least I'm paranoid of letting these guys drive alone, that too to test jerks in smaller gears which normally occur with sudden/ drastic change in driving styles.
Makes sense. I think I am convinced to hold off till I encounter any jerking that actually bothers me. (or if they just do the update necessary without doing any extensive tests to see if it is 'needed' or not).
Old 5th October 2015, 11:10   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I very coincidentally met a young guy yesterday with a Polo TSI and got talking. He claimed that his brand new face-lifted TSI (3 weeks old) began jerking so badly (D3 to D2 downshift as well as a sudden jerk for no reason at all at a steady 40), that he had to leave it at the service station for urgent investigation.

Skoda is unable to diagnose and resolve the issue and has given him a loaner TSI. He was visibly upset and is close to asking them for a complete replacement or immediate money-back. Was his first 'real' car and has spent 10.4L on it which is big money for someone as young as him.

Felt very bad for him. I would have had a mental breakdown in his condition!

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th October 2015 at 11:11. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 11:45   #142
Senior - BHPian

I feel the affected owners should get a scan done at some independent garage or if some friendly bhp-ians could assist, get a scan done using VCDS and see if there gives some results. The scan may also be posted in this forum so that an expert may give some guidance.
Old 5th October 2015, 13:28   #143
Team-BHP Support

In my 3 days old Polo TSi, during normal behavior, when the gear shifts from D3 to D2, the shift is smooth. But sometimes, when the shift happens, I feel a braking effort similar to engine braking. This is similar to the feeling you get when you shift to a lower gear in a manual car, but release the throttle.

Is this the jerk that is being discussed here? As this occurs very rarely, I have not yet been able to understand the conditions under which this occurs.
Old 20th October 2015, 14:08   #144

Guys, I have a Polo GT, and have the same jerking problem. I called up EVM in Cochin, and they said it is the car's "character", and not an issue with the car. Not sure who to contact at this point. Any help is appreciated.
Old 20th October 2015, 14:26   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In my 3 days old Polo TSi, during normal behavior, when the gear shifts from D3 to D2, the shift is smooth. But sometimes, when the shift happens, I feel a braking effort similar to engine braking. This is similar to the feeling you get when you shift to a lower gear in a manual car, but release the throttle.

Is this the jerk that is being discussed here? As this occurs very rarely, I have not yet been able to understand the conditions under which this occurs.
There are 2-3 different kinds of jerking few owners have observed. The D3-D2 jerk under heavy braking is the common one and pretty much everyone experiences this. It was said to be a characteristic of the car but as per posts in this thread, the recent software updates have helped smooth this out. But it is still not clear if there is a dedicated software update for this. Some dealers say there are updates, some have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyb View Post
Guys, I have a Polo GT, and have the same jerking problem. I called up EVM in Cochin, and they said it is the car's "character", and not an issue with the car. Not sure who to contact at this point. Any help is appreciated.
If it is the jerk when the car downshifts from D3->D2 under heavy braking, then it is common and unless it is troubling you too much, can be ignored.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 14:45   #146

Quote:
then it is common and unless it is troubling you too much, can be ignored.
I wish I could ignore it. But, the car is also driven by my elderly parents. And, it's scary for them.
Old 20th October 2015, 17:56   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyb View Post
I wish I could ignore it. But, the car is also driven by my elderly parents. And, it's scary for them.
If it is scary, then it definitely needs to be looked at. Why don't you take the references from this thread and get the service center rep to accompany you on an extended test drive and simulate the problem.

Typically if you drive with a light foot and brake relatively gently, the jerk is not noticeable.
Old 20th October 2015, 18:27   #148

Ok, I have already raised a complaint. Let's see how they respond. Cheers.
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:56   #149
BHPian

I own a facelifted Vento TSI which i bought couple of months ago. I have also been experiencing D2/D3 jerking (only at this gearshift and not at other downshifts even under heavy braking). My experience is that when we accelerate quickly from D2 and for some reason take your foot off the throttle to slow down and if the engine rpm is right at the upshift territory, the jerk happens. I have observed in multiple similar scenarios.

I spoke to service center (KUN Chennai) and the service head confirmed that there is a software update. Today i have incorporated the update to my car. It is a 3 hour process. Yet to drive it though as i just got the car. I will update if it is completely resolved.
Old 24th October 2015, 21:07   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
My experience is that when we accelerate quickly from D2 and for some reason take your foot off the throttle to slow down and if the engine rpm is right at the upshift territory, the jerk happens. I have observed in multiple similar scenarios.

I spoke to service center (KUN Chennai) and the service head confirmed that there is a software update.
I experience a similar problem with the DSG on my Superb. There is always a jerk when I back off on the throttle just before gearbox shifts into D3. Do you know if the software upgrade is applicable to Superb's DQ200 as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks