Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 15:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have been running around telling people that these are issues of the past and the DQ200 boxes used in the polo and vento are perfectly alright encouraging them to buy these cars
I have done the same and two close friends have bought cars with the DSG gearbox. One is a new driver too and loves the automatic experience. In fact; this new driver asked, why are there cars with manual gearboxes. Hope it does it fall apart.
Old 8th May 2015, 17:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite worrying to hear. Just as my the fear of the DSG issues was fading.

What exactly is the service center telling? That since they cannot see the issue, they cannot do anything about it?

The 2nd point mentioned (jerk when dropping to 2nd gear under hard braking), is a known thing and I think experienced by everyone.

Also, anything specific you can recall over the period the issues surfaced with respect to the driving pattern?
Old 8th May 2015, 19:41   #18
BHPian

I have a query, has anyone faced issues with the new Vento/Rapid TDi DSG? AFAIK, they share the same 7-Speed DQ200 gearbox as that of the Polo GT TSi and Vento TSi. Plus the torque is at 25.5 kgm against the gearbox's limit of 25 kgm. Shouldn't this be an ideal case for disaster? Any issues so far?
Old 8th May 2015, 20:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
[b]
Issue 1)

The car jerks WITHIN GEAR randomly. The jerks can happen upto 4 times - and are the MOST FREQUENT in the 4th gear and the 7th gear, but it has happened in other gears as well. Often it happens when CLIMBING A SLOPE, and also when the car is full of people. This jerk IS NOT THE SAME as the usual SINGLE JERK of a gear change. That single jerk of gear change on hard acceleration is expected - but this JERKS WITHIN THE SAME GEAR.
Hi ahmadnaik,

Please have your EGR valve checked. I faced the exact same issue in my (then) brand new 2010 VW Polo 1.2 TDI. I had no faith in Downtown VW's diagnostic capabilities.

I lived with that issue for more than 4 years until I opened my own workshop in Bangalore earlier this year and I was able to solve the problem because the EGR valve was blocked! I literally had to scrape the carbon deposit that accumulated for 4 years! I realized that each time the MIL came up they would simply erased/hid it using the software and I had no inkling it was because of the EGR. I scanned it using an OBDII scanner and solved the issue. It was a hell lot of work removing the EGR valve and that probably was one of the reasons why they chose to hide the error than fixing it. And I found out the part costs 40k! I fixed it for almost free of cost! :P

Hope this helps at least.
vishwasvr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 20:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Quite worrying to hear. Just as my the fear of the DSG issues was fading.
The 2nd point mentioned (jerk when dropping to 2nd gear under hard braking), is a known thing and I think experienced by everyone.
Yes - one was hoping the DSG fear was a thing of the past and VW auto trannys could now be safely considered.:-( Also that they are more customer friendly than in the past but...
The jerk when dropping to 2 gear under hard braking has been seen in my Ecosport DCT as well.
Old 8th May 2015, 20:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have an Ecosport AT, I have noticed that if I am at 40-50 or so and only coasting ahead without applying power, and then If I suddenly apply power I get a 2-3 downshifts, which cause momentary loss of power, and a jerk.
Shifting from D to S before this encourages a down shift in advance, and avoids this multiple downshifts, and the jerk.

Rahul
Old 8th May 2015, 21:36   #22
BHPian

I was pushing my dad to take the Vento TSI over the City and he said "I don't trust overcomplex technology unless its proven" (He is an engineer himself)

With this thread, I know I was wrong!

VW knows about the issue very well but cannot seem to troubleshoot it. If they were so confident, they would have offered the 10 year transmission guarantee that they offer for DSG in China!

Guess it's just a marketing trick of "change to mineral oil solved the problem". Being a programmer in the IT industry, I know very well that there can be enivronment related issues where a perfectly working code can crash badly. It takes a lot of hardwork to troubleshoot such issues and the fix is hard to find. The DSG is similar to this scenario where on paper its perfect, but falters in real world. VW has not worked hard enough or is not ready to accept that their example of brilliant engineering has some problems in the real world.

I remember that Ford launched the Fiesta DCT with a 10 year guarantee on the transmission, showing their commitment to the customers. Just a point to show how VW is neglecting the Indian consumers time and again.

After sales service is very important in a country like India, just see LG/Samsung/Maruti Suzuki! Till VW realizes this, they won't progress in India no matter hoewever better their cars be.
govindremesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 22:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Against all odds, I trusted that Volkswagen must have sorted out the Gearbox issues that plagued the DQ200 DSG Dry Dual Clutch boxes, but alas - it was not so

Issue 1)

The car jerks WITHIN GEAR randomly. The jerks can happen upto 4 times - and are the MOST FREQUENT in the 4th gear and the 7th gear, but it has happened in other gears as well. Often it happens when CLIMBING A SLOPE, and also when the car is full of people. This jerk IS NOT THE SAME as the usual SINGLE JERK of a gear change. That single jerk of gear change on hard acceleration is expected - but this JERKS WITHIN THE SAME GEAR.

Issue 2)
The car has been jerking when DOWNSHIFTING from D3 to D2. This also happens sometimes, and NOT ALWAYS. This particular issue has been there ever since I've purchased the car, but I had assumed it was a problem with all DSG gearboxes. I researched ONLINE and found out that MANY PEOPLE HAD THIS PROBLEM, so I ignored this one.

Issue 3)
This is the most troubling of all the problems, and this is what made me REALLY WORRIED.
This issue has only happened ONCE. I was driving the car in "D" mode. when suddenly the car went OUT OF GEAR! The engine CONTINUED revving, but the CAR STOPPED MOVING FORWARD. Only the REV COUNTER was shooting upto 6000RPM but it FELT as though the car was in NEUTRAL. The gear indicator still showed "D2" but the car kept slowing down with NO POWER GOING TO THE WHEELS. Then I switched to "S" but the car STILL HAD NO POWER. Please note that the ENGINE WAS STILL ON, and the car was STILL REVVING. Finally I had to stop, and take it to the side, switch to "P" mode, and switch it back to "D" after which the car was fine.

The above issue number 3 has only happened ONCE, but is VERY SERIOUS since it occurred WHILE I WAS DRIVING.
Again, I will repeat what I've said above. VW cars are brilliant, VW service (in India at least) is the utter opposite of that.

As a fellow car enthusiast I understand what you are going through.
I think you should try and make a video of the said issue when it occurs.
I have gone to various sevice centres with different cars and never ever had one service advisor who genuinely listened to the issues with the cars, with the indifferent attitude that most people in Delhi have, it came as no surprise.

I was facing an issue with my cars bluetooth once, phones had stopped connecting to the system, I used another phone to make a video of the said issue and sent it to the service advisor at the time of giving the car for service, this way I didn't have to explain the issue to the advisor over and over while he gave strange looks and pretended to understand what i was trying to say. Lets agree that most service advisors in this country or the ones that i have come across have no practical knowledge at all, they either use the manufacturer provided resources or some experienced seniors or leave it to the mechanics for hit and trial. These practices are common across all major manufacturers like Maruti and Hyundai.(or so i have seen)

However, mobile phones should only be used in safe environments please do not use your phones while driving and if you necessarily have to take your car to an empty car and them film the issue.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2015 at 12:34. Reason: Edited as per request
Jag4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 22:18   #24
BHPian

The problems of DSG are continuing and this reaffirms my understanding of German engineering. Things will take an eternity to change because it is never the product at fault, they will first find fault with everything else around it, like air, sunlight, road etc.

The most effective rebuttal a consumer can give any company is to stop buying their goods.
CarJunki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 22:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Issue 3)
This is the most troubling of all the problems, and this is what made me REALLY WORRIED.
This issue has only happened ONCE. I was driving the car in "D" mode. when suddenly the car went OUT OF GEAR! The engine CONTINUED revving, but the CAR STOPPED MOVING FORWARD. Only the REV COUNTER was shooting upto 6000RPM but it FELT as though the car was in NEUTRAL. The gear indicator still showed "D2" but the car kept slowing down with NO POWER GOING TO THE WHEELS. Then I switched to "S" but the car STILL HAD NO POWER. Please note that the ENGINE WAS STILL ON, and the car was STILL REVVING. Finally I had to stop, and take it to the side, switch to "P" mode, and switch it back to "D" after which the car was fine.

The above issue number 3 has only happened ONCE, but is VERY SERIOUS since it occurred WHILE I WAS DRIVING.

Ah that sucks man!! The problem you faced in quite well documented. Google 'DSG false neutrals' and you'll find a lot of info. Happens even on the 6 speed DSG gearbox. A fellow bhpain had this problem and got his mechatronic replaced
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...mbiente-5.html

I faced the issue around 5 times over two years in my laura dsg. Was too infrequent and difficult to replicate. So could not show the problem to the skoda technicians. Luckily it hasn't happened over the last two years.

Its a scary feeling when it happens at high speed. Could be really dangerous. Hopefully it never happens again for you. Or hope that it happens often enough so that you can show it to VW and get it repaired.
Old 9th May 2015, 13:38   #26
BHPian

A very serious issue, very indeed. There was a death in Australia a couple of years ago due to this issue, this was followed by recall of upto 25000 cars.

My car was also recalled and DSG replaced for free. Please see:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/235101/v...er-dsg-defect/
http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-ca...-recall-fiasco

Not sure whether VW India are waiting for someone to lose their life due to this issue. This again smacks of an indifference attitude to Indian customers from a global group. You would have thought that they would have learnt something from the Skoda fiasco - but looks like they haven't.
Raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 15:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well my friend who has experience with such cars says that it is due to the oil level dropping due to the stop go driving conditions in the city. It is advisable to change the gearbox oil maybe at every 10K.

No harm in trying this to see if the issue is resolved post this.
Old 9th May 2015, 15:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

As a Tsi owner with 6k completed, I haven't faced any of the issues mentioned, is there any way for the people who posted in this thread to list out their manufacturing month date or something to try and pin point something common?
Old 9th May 2015, 16:09   #29

I am not sure if this adds any value. I live in Dubai and I had previously owned a 2012 Ford Focus which also had a DCT transmission which Ford calls "PowerShift". The car had the exact same issues thats described here. Jerk and shudder was very frequent and all that the local dealers could do was to update the software which dint fix the issue. This was particularly prominent in bumper to bumper traffic. You could also hear all kinds of mechanical sounds once you hit the gas pedal from lower speeds.

On one occassion,the car did not move at all on 'D' and I later found that the car would move on sport mode 'S' only even gears and the rocker switches on the gear lever saved the day. The odd gears would not work and therefore 1st gear was non functional. Apparently, a controller unit which controls the odd and even gears, was found to be faulty and was replaced.

I would recommend people not to buy cars with DCT unless they do a proper test drive in bumper to bumper traffic and in the city roads.

Obviously the upside is lighting quick up-shifts (downshifts, may be not) which I would not prefer over reliability and smooth operation of the gearbox.
Old 9th May 2015, 19:16   #30
BHPian

My Vento was in the workshop for second service yesterday. The SA is well known to me. When i enquired about any issues faced with DSG the reply was " What? We haven't heard of any problems" ? Is this a one of case or we just being cynical because its a VAG. Its hard to explain when we bracket only them when other FORD users are also reporting similar behavior if we . Another friend of mine has the GT TSI. Driven 10K now and he is very happy.

Most Viewed