Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 14:55   #106
BHPian

re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Booked the GT TSI! Wify was too convinced that I completely overlooked the jerking issue. Spoke to the VW SA and this time his version was that its manageable.

Her first choice was ecosport but being on the shorter side, couldnt reach the clutch pedal comfortably. Ecosports AT was out of budget.

Sorry Sridhar sir - going against your advice . And now hoping for the best

Carbon steel - delivery expected end of June (no discounts)
Old 18th June 2015, 10:25   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
They found a few discrepancies in my spark plugs which they say could be causing the vehicle to misfire occasionally.
During idle or while driving?

My colleagues Vento Tsi has a missing problem during idle. As the refinement levels of the engine are high, it is difficult for the service engineer to detect the problem. No problems while driving.

I have the same missing problem too (Fiat T Jet) on hot summer days. I've changed the plugs and the problem remains. I've left it at that as the service engineers are unable to detect a fault by themselves and even over the ECU scanner. As economy, emissions are well within limits and power delivery feels right, I have left it at that.
Old 24th June 2015, 01:07   #108
BHPian

Gave my car to the workshop on the 22nd for my 45Kms service as well as the jerking issue. The VW plant guys have been taking test rides in it and tweaking the software again from what my advisor is telling me. Hoping to get the car back by tomorrow - after which I will update the thread again. Like I've mentioned before - the jerking issue has reduced significantly, and I have been told that once my issue is completely resolved they will be upgrading the ECU software on all the 1.2 TSI engines across the range. Apparently they are testing it on my car first. Don't know if this is true or not but I'd like to belive at least part of it is.

P.S - Off topic, but I just punctured a tyre in a massive crater (can't call them potholes anymore) and found out that my Alloy was bent as well. Here's the shocker - 22K for a single alloy! I just found out that you can get a genuine MOMO for about 7K! Apologies for being off topic, but couldn't help "vent"-ing about the "Vento".
Old 24th June 2015, 16:04   #109
BHPian

Hello mr.ahmadnaik ; first of all good luck to you; hope your vehicle stops visiting the service centre lesser and even so only for general check ups !

Just wanted to add my thoughts on the whole DSG gearbox discussion thats going on .
In no ways are these thoughts meant to offend anyone .
I’ve driven my Vento TSi for about 16000 km now and have learned to adapt my driving style to work around or rather avoid the “jerks” and “loss of power” which people have been experiencing !
I guess most of us who buy “automatic” cars do so in order to get rid of the chore/hassle of depressing the clutch changing the gear and then releasing the clutch properly with the right amount of acceleration to pull away cleanly! Now I mention the word cleanly because that comes with practice and even people with years of practice sometimes fumble in the process! Now this car and other automatics basically does this chore of changing the gear based on your throttle input and also other bits of inputs from various other sensors ! While some might say the DSG gearbox has got a mind of its own or that it’s got memory i’d say that it’s the way YOU drive. I’ve driven down a same stretch of road both while experiencing those jerks while dropping down to 2nd gear and also not experiencing them. The difference lay in the delay in easing off the throttle and braking .
Of course many of us don’t drive down the same road everyday and its always a thrill to experience new places via new roads but that should not be at the cost of losing out on the basic driving skills which is maintaining a safe speed and more importantly distance between vehicles and of course keeping the eyes and the mind on the road always ! I am pretty much sure when these are followed the jerks and rear endings can be avoided .

Coming to the loss in power ; while it could be a genuine case of component failure.
I am also inclined to explain this with an example in say a traffic signal where you have a seemingly clear road ahead and you are just craving to get away from the traffic surrounding you. As many of you will agree with me the DSG gear box drops a gear or 2 or sometimes 3-4 under heavy acceleration (or when from a standstill as in this case holds a bit longer in “D” mode); but during that heavy acceleration when it has just started dropping the gears (or in this case run upto 4th or 5th gear at say 50 or 60 kmph )when you momentarily take your foot off the throttle say due to change of mind or because of a pothole/crater or a jaywalker but then decide it’s okay to go on or rather see that the car/bus behind you has followed you at the same speed and is almost tailgating you and decide to accelerate again you definitely will not get the same pull you got from standstill simply because your car might be in the wrong gear because the little adventure created by the urge to rush to the next signal has got the electronics confused momentarily leading to the seeming loss of power!
Now this term momentarily might mean anything from a few fractions of a second to a couple of seconds depending on the state of the mind at that point or even the state of the car in itself as to how well it has been maintained.

Both the instances of jerks and loss of power can and does happen to “stick shift” cars too where in the driver himself might make the mistake of shifting into the wrong gear or keeping the clutch depressed too long or again the state of maintenance of the car itself.

Kindly correct me if I’ve said anything wrong.
I guess all these discussions on the forum are meant and to be taken in a way so that all of us keep revving happily !

Good luck again to Mr.Ahmadnaik!
atlantis0965 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 12:42   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Hello mr.ahmadnaik ; first of all good luck to you; hope your vehicle stops visiting the service centre lesser and even so only for general check ups !

Kindly correct me if I’ve said anything wrong.
I guess all these discussions on the forum are meant and to be taken in a way so that all of us keep revving happily !

Good luck again to Mr.Ahmadnaik!
No offence taken at all, this is a forum and compared to the skill level of many senior and experienced members, I feel deeply inadequate, so any extra knowledge is always helpful.

With regards to your concern however, I had already read up on the generic issues with Automatic boxes and especially the 7-Speed DSG boxes before I purchased the vehicle, and was sure that the issue I was experiencing was not the same, especially considering it started occurring after about 30,000 kms. When I did have the issue until a week ago, I could presume that I was wrong in my assumption - but the good news is the issue has finally got resolved! So I know it wasn't me being an insufferable nitpicker, but rather an actual problem that was actually resolve-able.

Now, coming to the general thread itself, and all the people following it, this will hopefully be the last update on this issue. After I gave my car for servicing on the 23rd of June - I was told I would get it back within 2 days. I had also applied for insurance for the alloy, since the total cumulative cost of the service (45k kms), changing of all tyres (which was due since I had not changed them since I purchased the vehicle) and the alloy wheel was coming close to 48K. So I waited, since the issue had been resolved about 70% the last time a really senior member of the Volkswagen Plant worked on my vehicle, upgrading the software and correcting an engine misfire in cylinder 1 as well. After much deliberation, I received my vehicle on the 30th of June - exactly a week after it was given with the guarantee that everything was tested and working perfectly now. I took the car with my fingers crossed for an extensive test drive that night itself, and was shocked to find out that the vehicle jerking had not only not reduced, but had increased! And had gone back to state even worse than before!

I sent VW a message again, (these messages were often rather harsh since my patience after 4 months of inconvenience was already wearing thin) and was asked to come for a final test drive of the vehicle with the senior Volkswagen engineer/technician. Fuming, I went for the test, and after then connected the laptop to the diagnostic port under the steering, it immediately popped in an error code with a fault related to the ABS which was hampering with the Transmission. The technician was surprised and told me that this was the first time this was happening - and requested me to leave the car with them for a day more to get the issue sorted. I explained that the VW service guys must have damaged the sensor when switching the Alloy, (which I later found out was what had actually happened).

I got a drop home, and the VW guys called for the sensor from Pune immediately. It arrived the next day, was fitted in the vehicle and then the Technician took a 50km plus test drive. I was called at last - and we went on a 30km test drive together. And this is the best part.

The jerking issue never happened again. Not once. And hasn't happened since! Its as though the car was back to how good it was when new! It's been 3 days since I got the car back and it has been running as good as new! I think after months of painstaking trips to the workshop (easily numbering more than 20-25 now) I can say tentatively that the issue has been resolved. I'm just waiting for the proper outstation trip to give myself the chance to clear that last doubt - but as of this day, it seems like it has been resolved.

P.S. The local workshop advisor had on a few occasions charged me for fuel despite me giving them a car with an almost full tank always - and after a few times, at the risk of sounding stingy, I told the plant people that it wasn't fair that I was being charged for 200km worth of test drives that they were taking for an issue that was not my fault. They got back to me immediately and without argument saying that they were sorry and the car was returned with a full tank of Petrol.

While my experience with this issue has been painstaking and long - the most important thing I have learned is this - stick with the problem long enough and eventually there is always a solution.
ahmadnaik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 23:20   #111
BHPian

Congratulations Mr.ahmadnaik !
I guess it's really a nice feeling when there is a solution to any problem ! Especially in this case 😊

Just to clarify ; what exactly was the problem in your car? Was it the misfiring cylinder ?software issue ?
I guess the faulty ABS sensor issue cropped up at a later stage right ?
A clear picture will definitely help us to sort it out in case if such a thing ever crops up !

Thanks !
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 08:40   #112
BHPian

Congratulations Mr.ahmadnaik.

It was very interesting to read this thread, and finally after so much time and effort the issue is resolved. *

Do let us know what was the exact solution given by the VW engineers.
(your car has gone through a lot of research)

I' am keen to own the GT TSI and this thread has made me apprehensive.

I must say you do have a lot of patience and perseverance.
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 09:37   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The jerking issue never happened again. Not once. And hasn't happened since! Its as though the car was back to how good it was when new! It's been 3 days since I got the car back and it has been running as good as new!
Thanks for the detailed update. Good to hear that the issue has been resolved. One question: Is the 2nd issue you had listed (jerking when dropping to 2nd gear under hard braking) also not happening anymore? This is something everyone encounters and was explained as a typical quirk of the DSG box. Has this also been resolved with the changes done?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 13:28   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Good news for sure, ahmadnaik, but am a bit in the dark HOW exactly it happened They say never look a gift horse in the mouth but if VW themselves don't know the reason why, it seems to be a cause for concern. Some retrospective troubleshooting may be called for here!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 15:25   #115
BHPian

This software update things seem legit, few days back came across another source which also mentioning the same:

Polo/Vento 1.2 TSI Gearbox Software Update
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 16:02   #116
BHPian

Quote:
. If they do manage to resolve the issue with my car via software alone, then I'm certain VW will begin pushing the software upgrade to all future variants of the 7 Speed DSG sold in India.
I have a naïve question. So is this software upgrade going to take care of Petrol quality variations? During a long drive you cannot anticipate the quality of fuels.
Can you try changing fuels from different petrol pumps and see the behavior of the car?
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 19:58   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!

Good that the issue is resolved. Last month I received a call from VW to come down for an DSG update. They changed the transmission oil and updated the DSG software. The process involved an extensive test drive of around 90kms. I must mention that I was not having any jerking issue prior to the update and this was done purely as a preemptive measure. Its a Polo GT Tsi bought in May,2013.

Last edited by robimahanta : 7th July 2015 at 20:00.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 17:05   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is the 2nd issue you had listed (jerking when dropping to 2nd gear under hard braking) also not happening anymore? Has this also been resolved with the changes done?
With regards to the already existing issue of downshift from 3 to 2, I'm glad to say that it has not happened since the software update as well. This came as a pleasant surprise, since I was used to the 3 to 2 jerk ever since I got the car. However once or twice I did experience a jerk like that since I got the car, but that was more due to an incorrect prediction in the pre-selected gear since I accelerated and then suddenly braked due to an obstruction. This is normal and can and will happen with any dual clutch vehicle which predicts the next gear, so I'm not too worried about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
what exactly was the problem in your car? Was it the misfiring cylinder ?software issue ?
I guess the faulty ABS sensor issue cropped up at a later stage right ?
As far as the actual problem with the car is concerned, I am afraid I don't know for sure. But since a change in the mechatronics, the cleaning of the filter and the other hardware upgrades had not solved the issue prior to the software Update, I would go with the update being the primary cause of the jerking problem.

Also, the ABS issue only cropped up when my alloy was changed, I'm assuming due to the workshop guys incorrectly fitting the wheel and/or damaging the sensor in the process. I know this because I was present in the vehicle when the diagnostic software that detected the ABS issue showed the error codes, and the VW Senior Engineer said it was the first time the error had popped up. Also the error showed up with the same wheel that was changed - so that makes it certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post

Do let us know what was the exact solution given by the VW engineers.
(your car has gone through a lot of research)
As far as solutions are concerned, I think if the issue does not happen with you, don't bother at all. If it does, then ask them to refer to my case and apply the same software update that they did for my vehicle. The Senior VW engineers in charge of my case were Mr Carlson (VW Mumbai South - Reay Road) and Mr GuruPrasad Shinde.

I was told that the software would be rolling out with new vehicles anyways after I gave them a positive feedback - so most probably new customers will not be facing this issue.

All in all, I'm glad it ended this way - and yes, I'm still an ardent admirer (the word "fan would fit as well') of VW, the incredibly peppy 1.2 Turbocharged Engine and the sublime 7-Speed Dual Clutch gearbox.
ahmadnaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:36   #119

Hey guys, I am new to T-BHP.

I have booked a Vento TDI HL, DSG, the facelifted version. Car has already reached Trivandrum, and going for registration today.

Dynavin to be done tomorrow!!

I have had several rounds of TD's of the same car. I just love it!!

Someone please tell me that the issues have been sorted out??

Paul
Old 27th July 2015, 20:26   #120

Hello,

I just got my GT TSI few weeks back. Simply brilliant to drive.

"Issue 2)
The car has been jerking when downshifting from D3 to D2. This also happens sometimes, and not always. This particular issue has been there ever since I've purchased the car, but I had assumed it was a problem with all DSG gearboxes. I researched online and found out that many people had this problem, so I ignored this one."

Have driven around 750 Kms, within city. I am also facing jerking issue while downshifting from D3 to D2 (mostly on uphill, with sudden braking). Kind of getting worried after reading this thread. have noticed this at least 3-4 times. This has taken bit of excitement of owning GT.

Is is the expected behavior of DSG?
Shall I wait to run 5k and then see or report to VW right away?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks