Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 12:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Diagnostic manual for Tata's 1.4 and 2.2 common-rail diesel engines: EDIT 4x4 codes also

I found the diagnostic manual for Tata 1.4 and 2.2 Common rail engines. Some of these codes are "generic common" codes which are same for other vehicles also, however most DTC codes you get with your OBD will have different meaning from what you find on the internet.

The reason is that Tata, just like many other manufacturers gives its own custom codes to various errors. In case of Ford Audi etc., there is a wealth of information on the internet. Not so for Tata.

I found this XLS, and I hope this will be useful. Next time you get an error code, just look it up here. Please note this is for the Tata common rails, which means 2.2 and 1.4 only. Fiat engine codes will be different(Vista etc.,)
Diagnostics doc for 14L_22L_Service tool version.xls

Adding codes for 4x4 ECU also

Procedure :
Take a small 3W bulb. Connect one end to the wire thingy hanging out under the front seat of 2.2 dicor(Storme the 4x4 ecu is not behind dash I think). Other end to 12V + supply. The bulb will blink. Short blink = 1 long blink = 0
The code will repeat.
To clear, connect other end to ground instead of +12V
Diagnostic manual for Tata's 1.4 and 2.2 common-rail diesel engines: EDIT 4x4 codes also-1.jpg

001 ECU issue : Can require ECU replacement or can be loose connection
010 Motor : Manually rotate motor, it can get jammed if 4x4 is not used
011 : Clutch sensor is faulty
100 : The most common. It means you did offroading and drove though a puddle. Bad boy
110 : Your AC is leaking water somewhere behind dash, get it fixed
111 : Motor position - Connectors are faulty

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd June 2015 at 16:41.
tsk1979 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Diagnostic manual for Tata's 1.4 and 2.2 common-rail diesel engines: EDIT 4x4 codes also

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The reason is that Tata, just like many other manufacturers gives its own custom codes to various errors. In case of Ford Audi etc., there is a wealth of information on the internet. Not so for Tata.

]
Within the OBD standard there are generic codes and manufacturer specific codes. The latter ones, differ by manufacturer obviously.

See:

http://www.trouble-codes.com/

But are you saying that TaTa doesnt adhere to the generic OBD codes, or is this a specific Indian OBD implementation you are referrring to. Note that your other question on P1190 is a manufacturer specific code. So if you google OBD P1190 you will get many different answers for different car manufacturers, as to be expected!

Jeroen
Old 11th May 2015, 14:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Diagnostic manual for Tata's 1.4 and 2.2 common-rail diesel engines: EDIT 4x4 codes also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Within the OBD standard there are generic codes and manufacturer specific codes. The latter ones, differ by manufacturer obviously.

See:

http://www.trouble-codes.com/

But are you saying that TaTa doesnt adhere to the generic OBD codes, or is this a specific Indian OBD implementation you are referrring to. Note that your other question on P1190 is a manufacturer specific code. So if you google OBD P1190 you will get many different answers for different car manufacturers, as to be expected!

Jeroen
Using a generic OBD detector, I can get a lot of info from a Toyota ECU regarding fuel temp, air intake temp, MAF voltage etc.,
However Tata Safari gives me just basic stuff like coolant temp. I am unable to even get RPM info(though I can get load)

As for the codes you may be right. The MFR specific codes may be different, and generic codes may be the same. However, only if I start getting errors for generic codes, I will know(hopefully never)
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 22:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Some of the Tata vehicles are also sold abroad, where by law, the OBD protocols and codes have to follow certain standards.
Are these different from the sold in India vehicles?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th May 2015, 00:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Some of the Tata vehicles are also sold abroad, where by law, the OBD protocols and codes have to follow certain standards.
Are these different from the sold in India vehicles?

Regards
Sutripta
I think same vehicles are sold outside. That said, I could never understand why generic obd readers cannot rear TATA properly and work the Toyota just fine.
Old 12th May 2015, 01:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO, it's not just the OEM, but also the manufacturer of ECU (Bosch, Conti, Delphi) who have a say on this matter. ECU architecture and protocols although principally the same, are implemented differently.

Most German manufacturers work on a common platform. For example, Functional safety : https://www.iav.com/sites/default/fi...-en-130705.pdf

I doubt if Tata do anything related to automotive software development other than calibrating the software on the car. They get a ready-made packet from ECU manufacturers. Here in Germany, the biggies do their own software development as well, unlike Indian OEM's who get 'heat and eat' food.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 00:54   #7
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found the diagnostic manual for Tata 1.4 and 2.2 Common rail engines. Some of these codes are "generic common" codes which are same for other vehicles also, however most DTC codes you get with your OBD will have different meaning from what you find on the internet.

Thank you so much for this spreadsheet, tsk1979!

I can vouch for the fact that explanations for Tata-specific OBD codes are almost impossible to find. Generic codes are the same, of course, but Tata vehicles have a knack of usually throwing up manufacturer specific codes.

One of my hobbies is advising people (extended family members & friends) on what to do when their car throws a tantrum or starts acting up, which garage to take to fix it etc. Unfortunately, I only have a generic OBD scanner, and it's easier to spot a unicorn than find a Tata specific DTC meaning when one needs it. However, it's very easy to find make-specific DTC meanings for other manufacturers.

I've even sent an e-mail to the Tata Motors Electronics Division once (the ones who are responsible for this kind of stuff), requesting the meaning of a particular Tata specific DTC. I got no response at all - not even an automated acknowledgement. It's not that I was expecting a different response from them.

Anyway, the ECU of the car (a naturally aspirated Indica diesel) was made by Delphi, and luckily for me, I know a person who works for this organisation. I made a simple request over the phone, and he was kind enough to get me the answer from the concerned department. All in less than one hour. It was indeed the correct solution. One particular component in the fuel system had gone bad, and replacing it solved the problem.

This spreadsheet would be a huge boon for those who have to struggle to find the extremely secretive meaning of Tata-specific DTCs. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by RSR : 16th May 2015 at 01:14.
Old 1st June 2015, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I found this XLS, and I hope this will be useful. Next time you get an error code, just look it up here. Please note this is for the Tata common rails, which means 2.2 and 1.4 only. Fiat engine codes will be different(Vista etc.,)
Attachment 1369273
Thanks tsk1979. That manual has indeed proven to be more than helpful. In the same retrospect, will it be possible for you to source the service manual for the Safari 2.2 too?

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 1st June 2015 at 10:35.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Thanks tsk1979. That manual has indeed proven to be more than helpful. In the same retrospect, will it be possible for you to source the service manual for the Safari 2.2 too?
I have tried very hard, but have not been successful! If I can find one, I will definitely post it on the forum!
Old 1st June 2015, 13:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried very hard, but have not been successful! If I can find one, I will definitely post it on the forum!
Alright thanks bro!

I'll myself keep an eye out. BTW, does the 2.2 come with a VGT?
Old 1st June 2015, 13:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Alright thanks bro!

I'll myself keep an eye out. BTW, does the 2.2 come with a VGT?
Yes it does!
The 2.2 liter is essentially same for DICOR/Storme and the new coming Varicor engine. Some ancillaries and ECU software is different in the versions.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does!
The 2.2 liter is essentially same for DICOR/Storme and the new coming Varicor engine. Some ancillaries and ECU software is different in the versions.
Ah! So, the P0245 DTC that's been showing up indeed translates into something faulty with the actuator. The VGT vanes haven't been opening up optimally and hence the resultant lack in boost.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I doubt if Tata do anything related to automotive software development other than calibrating the software on the car.

Spike
TTL (Tata Technologies Ltd) is big time into helping TML with automotive software and for that matter JLR group as well.

Shubhendra
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: Diagnostic manual for Tata's 1.4 and 2.2 common-rail diesel engines: EDIT 4x4 codes also

Added 4x4 ECU error codes also.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diagnostic manual for Tata's 1.4 and 2.2 common-rail diesel engines: EDIT 4x4 codes also

I believe an OBD2 compliant scanner can read most of Safari's code. I can see EGT, MAF, coolant temperature, engine rpm, vaccum psi, boost psi and even bhp at rear wheel on my OBD scanner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks