Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2006, 20:17   #1
BHPian

AC noise

Guys
Please can I have your inputs

My Baleno that's run 2500 KMS suddenly has developed a noise when AC is switched on.
I noticed this after the following episode took place.
We were travelling in the traffic at crawling speed when the AC was switched ON just as I released the clutch you know the point where the engine is just meshing with the gear. I suddenly noticed that the AC started making this funny humming noise like a OLD water PUMP. And I also noticed there was a abnormal drop in pick up.
I switched off the AC and switched on again but noticed the same noise and pronounced drop in pickup.

Took it to the mechanic he says every thing is OK but I know the noise was'nt there earlier and the Pickup drop was not so pronounced when AC is switched on

Comments and suggestions to improve this most welcome
Old 25th August 2006, 20:25   #2
BHPian

It could be possible that AC is not getting enough power from the engine so it is getting close to stalling. I could be wrong as I'm not an expert here.
Old 25th August 2006, 20:45   #3
BHPian

Its not stalling just a funny noise even on idling disappears as soon as the AC is switched off
Old 25th August 2006, 20:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

It could be ur A/C belt or Pulley.. might be the puley is getting jammed and the belt is slipping..
Old 25th August 2006, 21:21   #5
BHPian

Thanks Maverick Any reason for this problem and what are the potential remedies
Old 25th August 2006, 21:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
Thanks Maverick Any reason for this problem and what are the potential remedies

Spray some WD-40 over the pulley... or have it changed.. coz u can get it done under warranty.. ideally the pulleys dont fail so soon.. Reason could be the monsoons..
Old 25th August 2006, 23:03   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. goto maruti....
humming... is normally.. something that old ac compressors used to do... get it checked.

about the belt... justs .. open the bonnet and see if its not actually lose.
Old 25th August 2006, 23:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suddenly noticed that the AC started making this funny humming noise like a OLD water PUMP.
Get your A/C compressor clutch/bearings checked asap. Had a similar prob on the Vtec, started of with a pump like of sound, which then turned into a tractor (LOL).

It finally reached a stage where i had to sack the whole compressor (even though it was in good shape) and buy a new one just bcoz the clutch/bearings went bust damaging the pulley rod in the process.

Sourced the compressor from outside for 13K as Honda was asking for 30K including labour.

Shan2nu
Old 25th August 2006, 23:48   #9
BHPian

suggest you get the AC system checked for any leaks or so, Did the guy who looked at your AC system, Check the level of gas, Radiator section, AC Fan Rotor, Ac Compressor, Pipeing...Pulleys...!
Old 26th August 2006, 14:55   #10
BHPian

Guys

Had gone to the MASS in Hyderabad Mithra Agencies In Madhapur
Went there with some knowledge from this forum, and explained to them what happened. The service advicer dismissed this as being normal. Asked him to get his mechanic who would work on the car who said this is the noise from the Fan that cools the engine. Switched off the AC and the noise dissappeared. The Mechanic acknowledged this and said he would look into this. However I think they will not do anything apart from some quick fix.

I have left the car for my third FREE service, though run about 2500 KM and is just about a Year. (actually sep 7 completes 1 year)

Suggestions on how to tackle the situation if the problem reoccurs after the warranty period is over And then we realise that there is some major cost involved to fix the problem. Is extended warranty the only option??

Is it worth it. How many of us take extended Warranty, I think its waste of money since most of the things do not get covered under warranty and you will eventually end paying up the costs.
Old 26th August 2006, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Guys
Got my car back from service

The Noise reduced but is still there but however it now seems to have improved the pick up situation

I noticed another thing about the AC now, When idling it seems to switch on and off automatically is this normal. As told earlier I drive 2005 model the one without the Auto climatizer.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 26th August 2006 at 17:49.
Old 26th August 2006, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When idling it seems to switch on and off automatically is this normal.
Yes it's normal for the A/C to switch on and off. Tell em something, this noise.....does it come when the A/C automatically switches off? Or is it there all the time (until you physically press the A/C button off).

Shan2nu
Old 26th August 2006, 22:35   #13
BHPian

The noise is there only when the AC is on and dissappears either when it automatically shuts off or we shut it down physically.
Also I noticed that when at low speeds (20kmph) on 4th gear it makes trrrrrrrk kind of sounds this happens when I am pressing the clutch during this time. Is it something to do with the bearings because the noise sounds like one

Thanks for your interest appreciate your views
Old 26th August 2006, 22:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

I had the same problem on my indica. It is a compressor bearing problem. Did you wade through deep water recently or hit water(even if its shallow) at high speed?. Try going to a different workshop. Many times these guys dont work on warranty cars. the best way is to ask them to switch on the AC of another car. There should be no humming noise from the AC, its definately the bearings having some problem
Old 26th August 2006, 23:00   #15
BHPian

No I had not waded through water , but as told earlier switched on the AC just when I was releasing the clutch. The noise started from that point.

Thanks will check compressor bearing,
You know what your damn right this is do with the warranty thing,, I was enquiring on extended warranty stuff and the service advisor immediately dissuaded me from going for it, saying it was a waste of money and Maruti cars generally does need warranty and all the stuff. Anyway's had forgotten my cards at home and hence decided to take a call on monday, I may as well get the extended warranty now and get some body else to take a look at my car. Thanks again,

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 26th August 2006 at 23:03.

Most Viewed