Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2006, 18:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

dear all...

my first msg after the intro bit. i thot i will put in some useful info i learnt that could save u some hard cash....

a month back, the "alarm light" on my city's speedo console came on ( orange light with somekind of a tap logo ). this apparently means some sensors have gone kaput...

as always, took it to the auth dealership ( tell me something - are honda dealerships as bad as they are in chennai and cochin where ive been...service is ok - but then since they are kind of monopoly dealerships - u dont get anything beyond the basic work done and they charge a bomb and r not apologetic abt it ??!)

the dearler guys on just seing the light glowing said, in all probability this is the o2 sensor going bad and that could be pretty expensive. after charging Rs250 for "ECU read out" as they say, they concluded its the o2 sensor thats gone bad and replacement cost ? -- Rs15000 !!!. i dared to ask them what this O2 SENSOR is and where it lies under the hood and i was pointed to a innocent looking spark plug like creature jutting head on into the exhaust cover plate...!! this puny thing costs Rs15000 at the dealership.

on consulting an ex - honda service persn from cochin, i was told that running without this part is not going to harm engine as the chennai dealership makes it out to be and at max - a small drop in mileage and power can be felt. and this guy got me a "original" O2 SENSOR ( from HONDA, THAILAND ) for guess how much?? Rs4000. i got this couried from cochin and fitted it myself...just plug it, tighten the nut, disconnect the battery for 15 mins and reconnect and its done !!!

of course these are probably imports that dont come under the duty, but i cant believe, HONDA charges Rs15k for something that costs just Rs4k outside and to top it they threaten u by saying that running without this can cease ur engine !! hightime, spare parts are priced more realistically and not such a huge premium is charged....

if any of u need this part, just msg me, i can put u on to this guy in cochin,..
Old 26th August 2006, 18:45   #2
BANNED

Hi,

First of all please go thru the rules and post in the right section. Coming to your problem The Honda guys were ripping you off. Even the ex Honda fellow was charging you little extra. Did your problem get solved. Woul dsuggest you clean the old sensor and refit it, then drive and see if the light comes back to be 100% sure the fault was in the O2 sensor.

Viper
Old 26th August 2006, 18:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

cleaning old one dint help. new sensor works fine..
Old 26th August 2006, 20:52   #4
BHPian

Hi Narayan,
I have had a similar experiance with Landmark Honda at Gujarat.
I have installed LPG kit on my NHC. About a week after installing the kit, I had to fill her up at a highway petrol station and I guess the fuel was adultrated or whatever, on petrol I would experiance jerks while acceleration. Kind of when the petrol gets over in bikes... where as it would run perfectly ok on LPG. I got my car checked from gas fitter's garege and he said its because of the bad/adultrated fuel and asked me take it to the service station to get the fuel tank and the injectors cleaned. I specifically asked Landmark guys to clean the tank and the injectors. After this they hook on to the ECU and show me an error message on their screen saying the O2 sensor is not working, as if I could understand their error codes... The reason for the sensor to go kaput....? The gas fitter has taken some wire for power from the sensor into the gas kit.
Replacing is the only option and it would cost me Rs14000. I asked him what if I dont get it changed, will the car still run ok or wuold it damage the engine. He goes to tell me that there wont be a problem with the engine. Just that I would experiance loss of pickup while acceleration. I said fine, I dont want to change it at the moment and will come again when I need to do so. I took the car to the gas fitter, he hooked up his machine to gas kit's ECU and it showed the O2 sensor working properly. Till date I am running the car on the same sensor. The only thing I needed to do was, get the injectors and plugs cleaned and the engine tuned. I got it done at Mumbai at a local service station, not Honda authorised.... when I had gone there.
Another experiance I had was with the RVM. Some good soul stole both of the rear view mirrors from my NHC. Only glasses were stolen, the whole housing was intact. I asked at the authorised service station and they quoted me Rs1200 each, if i remember correctly. I got the OEM mirrors from Ahmedabad through an ex landmark employee and he sourced it for Rs400 for the pair.
AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
cleaning old one dint help. new sensor works fine..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks