Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2006, 00:55   #1
BHPian

Coolant level low, but no symptoms?

I own a new Optra Royale 1.6 - 2 months 1450 kms - 1000km inspection done. Never raised car beyond 2000 rpm during run in.
Found today - coolant at min level in reservoir. Never had any overheating. Oil seems clean (no froth) . No funny exhaust smell. No leak symptoms under car. Hoses etc.. are obviously new and clean. Am taking it to dealer service tomorrow. Wondering if any one had similar experience with Optra or anyother new car.
Would appreciate any comments/inputs. Vehicle purchased from Udit Motors, Thane.
Old 28th August 2006, 09:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your optra coolant box should have a marking for minimum and maximum levels. If the coolant level is at the minimum marking, that is the absolute lowest amount of coolant that the engine needs to function efficiently. The engine will not overheat as long as it does not lower than that level.
Old 28th August 2006, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rather than bothering with dealer, etc. just add a bit of proper coolant/water mix to max level and observe. If it drops again to min. level, there is certainly a problem. Or take it to the dealer but tell him to do a pressure test which should indicate where the problem is.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2016 at 16:57. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 30th August 2006, 15:26   #4
BHPian

Optra Coolant Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Your optra coolant box should have a marking for minimum and maximum levels. If the coolant level is at the minimum marking, that is the absolute lowest amount of coolant that the engine needs to function efficiently. The engine will not overheat as long as it does not lower than that level.
Thanks. Yes. My worry was whether it had been filled up to max level and has now come down. I cant seem to recollect if it was upto the max level ever. It seems to be remaining at this current level for long. However I wanted to eliminate the possibility of an external leak or internal gasket leak . In any case I am visiting the dealer service station. Will keep you posted.
Old 27th February 2014, 21:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: Coolant level low, but no symptoms?

The coolant level in my i10 1.1 has fallen 1 cm below the LOW mark in the coolant reservoir (measured when the engine is cold).

I got the coolant changed during the last service at H.A.S.S. (7-8 months back), but never bothered to check whether they have filled the right quantity. My bad.

I never faced any issues, except that a few days back I noticed that the AC is not working properly at the hot setting. It keeps giving cool air even at the highest temperature setting. This caused me to suspect the coolant level and that's when I found that it is low.

I inspected the engine bay and did not notice any leaks or smells. I also observed my parking spot for any signs of coolant leakage, but there was none.

What could be the issue ? Can there be a minor leak which causes coolant to leak over a period of time ?

Or did the H.A.S.S. just fill less coolant when I got the car serviced last time ?

Do I need to top it up urgently or is it safe to drive within the city ?

Rohan
Old 28th February 2014, 10:08   #6
BHPian

re: Coolant level low, but no symptoms?

First thing you should be checking if there is no visible coolant spill is the radiator cap.
A faulty radiator cap will cause low pressure in the cooling circuit and evaporation due to lowered boiling point.
gotzuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 13:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coolant level low, but no symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What could be the issue ? Can there be a minor leak which causes coolant to leak over a period of time ?
Other than a leak, the only thing that can cause disappearance of coolant is a faulty cooling fan. Probably a good idea to check if yours is functioning properly.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 13:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other than a leak, the only thing that can cause disappearance of coolant is a faulty cooling fan. Probably a good idea to check if yours is functioning properly.

A faulty cooling fan will cause overheating. No such issue has been reported by @rohan_iitr
Old 28th February 2014, 14:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I faced the same situation roughly a year back. During regular service the coolant was changed. The SA did show me that the coolant was changed however I hadnt noticed the level. Only I saw the brownish coolant replaced by the green one. After a few days, I noticed that the coolant was in between the empty and full mark. Suspected a leak so topped it up with distilled water. It took in half a litre of water. Going by the fact that the total capacity was greater than seven liters, I thought this was an issue with the quantity. Its been a long time since then and the coolant has remained there, just that it is a bit brownish again. Think that is natural since it is a rust inhibitant.
Old 28th February 2014, 16:32   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Its been a long time since then and the coolant has remained there, just that it is a bit brownish again. Think that is natural since it is a rust inhibitant.
Sorry but this is the first time I am reading that the coolant is turning brown?!

Can you check the piping etc for any issues. I have never seen the coolant turn brown.

Anurag.
Old 28th February 2014, 16:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Not exactly brown. In a period of two years the coolant becomes darker green. After that its replaced.
Old 28th February 2014, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a few days back I noticed that the AC is not working properly at the hot setting. It keeps giving cool air even at the highest temperature setting. This caused me to suspect the coolant level and that's when I found that it is low.
There is no direct relation between the Air Conditioner performance and the coolant level in the reservoir.
Old 28th February 2014, 17:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

And I cannot understand that why, while using the heater, you are using the air-conditioner?

Rohan, if there is no leak, there are only 2 possibilities (since the engine oil is normal, I am discounting failing gasket):
1. Either the fan is not working and the coolant is evaporating.
2. Most likely, the Service Centre did not fill the required quantity.

My advice will be to first pour in some de-mineral water in the coolant tank to bring it to the max level and then keep a close eye on the temp. gauge of your car while driving for a few days. Also, keep checking the level manually to ensure that the level is not dipping. Do note that the level will fluctuate based on the engine's temperature. Just make sure that the level does not dips beyond the low mark.

Last edited by saket77 : 28th February 2014 at 17:21.
Old 28th February 2014, 17:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There is no direct relation between the Air Conditioner performance and the coolant level in the reservoir.
I think what you are trying to convey is that coolant is not directly related to the cooling efficiency of the AC. Thats true. But it definitely affects the heating efficiency.

The same coolant flows through the heater core, which is used for heating the passenger cabin.

The air that we receive from the AC is a mixture of cold air and hot air, depending on the temperature setting we have made. If the coolant level is low, the heater core will not generate sufficient heat and the AC will give out cooler air that expected at the particular temperature setting.

That is what is happening in my car. I am getting cold air at medium temperature setting and medium temperature air at the highest temperature setting.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 17:59   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the coolant level is low, the heater core will not generate sufficient heat and the AC will give out cooler air that expected at the particular temperature setting.
Unless humid, why are you using the heater with the AC?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks