Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2016, 09:33   #151
BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
A simple yet effective technique I use to keep my 10 year old Getz's dashboard shining is olive oil.I just spray a little and work my way around with a microfiber, works wonders!
You Sir are my hero! What a simple yet brilliant idea you have given to us. I tried it on my 19 year old Maruti 800. The bumpers have started to lose their natural colour and were begging to turn grey. However I just applied a bit of olive oil and voila! They are back to their natural colour like they are just out of showroom. I was in search for quite sometime for some reliable polish for plastic trim. Whatever I have tried till now, none of them were that effective and their shine lasted for a very short period of time. But not anymore!

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 15th May 2016 at 09:35.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 11:08   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
You Sir are my hero! What a simple yet brilliant idea you have given to us.
While I'd readily endorse the use of a natural product like olive oil to enhance the looks of vinyl or plastic, the problem is such substances (including some dashboard/vinyl "polishes") create a layer/film that turns into a dust magnet.

However, I recently thought of trying Collinite's leather/vinyl wax and will report back here once I apply it. The advantage with wax is it dries up and provides a protective coating.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th May 2016 at 11:10.
Old 15th May 2016, 11:30   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
While I'd readily endorse the use of a natural product like olive oil to enhance the looks of vinyl or plastic, the problem is such substances (including some dashboard/vinyl "polishes") create a layer/film that turns into a dust magnet.

However, I recently thought of trying Collinite's leather/vinyl wax and will report back here once I apply it. The advantage with wax is it dries up and provides a protective coating.
I applied oil before washing the car and after a wash, none of the stickiness is there with the shine maintained as is it. The trick is use only as much as the plastic trim will absorb it. Don't overapply it.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 15th May 2016 at 11:35.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 20:10   #154
BHPian

Formula 1 Wax. RECOMMENDED!!!

Hello Fellow BHPians,

Recently I got myself a tin of Formula 1 Carnauba Wax (Well recently means today i.e. 14 June) online. I had known about the product for quite some time and had the idea of getting it stuck in my head for a long time. So on the 10th of June I finally sat down, opened my lappy, clicked a few buttons and voila, I get a 230g tin of the carnauba wax on the 14th. (BTW I ordered it from Snapdeal.com, Link will be down below if you are interested).

Now keep in mind that till date I had only used those liquid kind of car polishes ( Not liquid wax ) that only make the car shiny and while on the other hand Wax creates a Hydrophobic protective layer over the clear coat and gives a more rich and glossy finish. So I was really excited about the result from the wax and so within an hour from the delivery guy leaving my door steps I was already standing in front of my car, exhausted from all the rubbing but man was I satisfied!!!!

The paint looked amazing and to be honest it looked almost new.

So guys if you haven't used it yet, I highly recommend it to you.

Few pics:

Well just one.
Attached Thumbnails
Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160614_164409350_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by thatfastdude19 : 14th June 2016 at 20:36.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:26   #155
BHPian

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I wanted a recommendation from you guys about a good Car Shampoo as I am really confused with all that is available out there.

I am currently leaning towards Armor All Wax And Wash but on the other hand Formula 1 Wax and Wash also seems to be a pretty good option.

Please write about the experience with any of these Shampoos if you have used them.

Thank You.
Old 11th August 2016, 15:54   #156
Team-BHP Support

My god. This thread is an absolute gem. This is what makes T BHP truly special. This is going to be my go to guide for ongoing maintenance tips. Thanks for compiling in one place.
Old 28th September 2016, 08:43   #157
BHPian

Friends

Need an urgent help ! Please advice on how do i clean these black colored stains that i accidentally put on my new car beige colored leather seat covers. These are basically black color denim discoloration spots. I tried googling and found a few recommendations like Turtle Wax Lux Leather cleaner, Armor Leather cleaner etc but when i read reviews of them on amazon they say , they are good for conditioning but does not remove the stains. One of my friend suggested to wipe it with a cloth dipped in Petrol. On youtube , people suggest a baking soda and water combination to clean the same. I fear that i may spoil the leather specially since i dont have any experience on cleaning a leather seat before. Do these get permanent if in case i dont get them cleaned for a few days? Any tried and tested methods ? Or if someone can point me to a thread where it may have already been discussed.

Attached pictures

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160927_180439552.jpg  

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160927_180446362.jpg  

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160927_180449397.jpg  

Old 11th March 2017, 13:49   #158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Use a car cover to protect the body from the elements.
Practice what you preach . What a beautiful sight - all cars covered up & safe .

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 15:48   #159
BHPian

Good I stumbled upon this thread. Was looking for this subject. My problem is, I have an old 2006 Santro which gives of an acute bad smell when left closed. The sinister whiff is always in the background.

Now I zeroed down the cause of this trouble to the boot matting. Actually my mechanic had spilled gear oil by mistake in the boot during some routine maintenance work about a year ago and it has soaked up in the hardboard and fabric and refuses to let go off the smell even after a good wash-down.

I need to replace this as it is in bad shape also but it's not available in most dealerships. Couldn't source one. The flea market is quite tiring and an old one wouldn't be much good. Anyone knows where I can get one? Thanx in advance.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:55   #160
BHPian

For a first time detailer, any product recommendation comments on the following items? (planning to order them all online)

1. Jopasu duster - for daily dry cleaning exterior and interior
2. Formula 1 Super mitt cloth for washing - 2 units. (generic cotton cloth for tyres)
3. Optimum no rinse wash & shine for the fortnightly wet wash. (either this, or no rinse wash & wax?)
4. Formula 1 drying towel - 2 units. Do I need a drying lubricant?
5. Optimum car wax (really confused about which one to order, picked this because it's a wipe-on-walk-away kind of product)
6. Formula 1 polishing microfibre towel (looks really expensive, is there a cheaper alternative?)

To add here, looking for a really quick & easy way to DIY wash and shine. For a full-fledged detailing, the plan is to visit a professional semi-annually.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:24   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
For a first time detailer, any product recommendation comments on the following items? (planning to order them all online)

To add here, looking for a really quick & easy way to DIY wash and shine. For a full-fledged detailing, the plan is to visit a professional semi-annually.
1. Jopasu is a must. I recommend from personal experience.
2. Looks good. But I've not used it. I have one from Meguiar.
3. I use Optimum wash and wax the one with green color. I am very happy with the results on my red and silver grey car.
4. I have Meguiar's water magnet and I am very happy with it. Not sure about F1. Also, I've never used any drying lubricant and do not know what it is.
5. Optimum car wax is good from my personal experience. Very very easy to apply and has good longevity. Fragrance of this product is really nice
6. I have multiple microfiber towels from sourced from dedicated on-line portals for care care products. So far my favorite are from Chemical guys - set of 3 that I picked few days back.

Kind Regards..Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:06   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
4. I have Meguiar's water magnet and I am very happy with it. Not sure about F1. Also, I've never used any drying lubricant and do not know what it is.
Thanks, Vikas. The Meguiar one is about 3x cost of other water magnets but going by the reviews, I'm guessing it must be worth the difference.
The lubricant ensures you don't rub the surface with leftover dust while wiping it off. Also, acts as a base before using clay. But I guess the wash & wax stuff will cover that.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:18   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Thanks, Vikas. The Meguiar one is about 3x cost of other water magnets but going by the reviews, I'm guessing it must be worth the difference.
The lubricant ensures you don't rub the surface with leftover dust while wiping it off. Also, acts as a base before using clay. But I guess the wash & wax stuff will cover that.
Yes ONR Wash and Wax will take care of the issue in a water less wash or rinse less wash.

If you check a previous post of mine, I've used ONR as a lubricant for the same purpose only when I went for a full wash using shampoo.

I just realized even you own a Scorpio

Kind Regards... Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:03   #164
BHPian

Guys

Need your help deciding on a good leather cleaner and conditioner for my beige coloured leather seats on Ciaz ZDI+.I am confused by the variety and reviews available on amazon.in. Need your suggestion for the same. After going through a lot of reviews on amazon and some on team bhp , this is what i believe

Formula 1 Mr.Leather Spray Cleaner and Conditioner
Cost Apprx 350
Its economical , but at the same time , a lot of quantity is needed . Won't be able to clean hard spots. Also leaves a slippery surface for days

Meguiar's G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
Cost Aprx 850
It costs almost double for what Formula 1 costs but is not able to clean and only a good conditioner

Turtle Wax; Luxe Leather Car Interior Cleaner & Conditioner
Cost Apprx 1800+
It costs around 5-6 times to what Formula 1 costs but not many reviews available

Armor All 10961US Leather Care Gel
Cost Apprx 500
Again, reviews mention that it is not able to clean but only gives a shine. Also not so good reviews on team bhp for some Armor products.

Zessta
Indian Product
Cost less than 200
Reviews mention that it cleans well but not sure of its conditioning qualities. Also the bottle and spray pump is that of a cheap quality.

Please help me to decide in case you are using any of the above already and found it useful
Old 13th April 2017, 10:07   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Meguiar's G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Cost Aprx 850 It costs almost double for what Formula 1 costs but is not able to clean and only a good conditioner
My vote goes to the Megs Leather cleaner. The 1st thing you need to do is clean off all the surface dirt using a mild soap and water solution (cloth/rag should not be too damp), wait for it to dry and then apply the cleaner/conditioner. I use this for my car's seats and am satisfied. Have not tried the other options yet.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks