Team-BHP - Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/164767-simplified-idiots-guide-keeping-your-car-clean-shiny-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkMar (Post 3752236)
2. Microfiber cloth

Tried this out yesterday. This was another great experience. Washing the muck splashed on the car was an effortless job, compared to washing with a non microfiber cloth. GTO has summed it up perfectly - "there is no reason for you not to use a microfiber cloth". Washing was more enjoyable, less tiring with the use of microfiber cloth. I required less water too, compared to traditional cloth (this is my personal experience). It was the car's first wash since delivery on 2nd July, and the shiny look was priceless :)

Thank you AkMar for sharing your experience. I was contemplating to order the Microfiber cloth from Amazon, however not able to make my mind, which brand to buy and how many pieces. Could you please share your cost/brand details?

p.s I already purchased the Jopasu duster at the start of this year and it really does wonders in cleaning all the dust in just one swipe. If you feel that after prolonged usage (couple of months) the threads are not picking up any dust then you can clean the threads under running water, dry it completely and it starts doing its duty sincerely as if it is new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3752322)
Thank you AkMar for sharing your experience. I was contemplating to order the Microfiber cloth from Amazon, however not able to make my mind, which brand to buy and how many pieces. Could you please share your cost/brand details?

I purchased two cloths manufactured by 3M (although GTO recommends 3). If the need is felt, I will purchase third one. I got them for Rs 220 each (180 cost + 40 for shipping - waived off if order total exceeds 499 from Amazon fulfilled sellers). MRP printed on pack is Rs 249. Alternatively, I could also see options from other manufacturers like Formula1, Jopasu who were also offering combo packs of 3. Unable to recollect their price as of now. I would suggest you check out the options yourself before taking a final decision :)

Secondly, as always, the note of caution - please order only from Amazon fulfilled sellers even though others have lucrative pricing. In the reviews of 3M microfiber cloth, I found many cases of customers receiving fakes when they ordered from unknown sellers. Exception being products from Jopasu, sold by seller "jopasucarcare" which seems to be operated directly by Jopasu.

Guys, 3M outlets sell the yellow microfibre for ₹108. Try those out. I have been using them for a couple of years now.3 clothes per car is a must. Also ensure that the water is drained out of the bucket and the mud settled at the bottom is removed before the next fill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3725889)
• You can use a car shampoo once a month, if you like.

Does this mean that car shampoo should not be used on a weekly basis? What is the recommended procedure for the car wash done weekly? Just water or some ordinary shampoo ?

I found some useful products on resqtech.in also. Please check out the portable car wash equipment they have. Besides the tyre brushes and alloy cleaners also quite neat.

Is it fine to clean the car using micro fiber cloth without water?

I have an idiot's question. Where to buy spray bottles online? As an alternative I have bought two Colin bottles, emptied them, washed them thoroughly, then peeled off the label so that people don't think I am using Colin on my car. I would still like to get a couple of proper spray bottles. The local hardware store doesn't have something suitable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltedvews (Post 3755170)
I found some useful products on resqtech.in also. Please check out the portable car wash equipment they have. Besides the tyre brushes and alloy cleaners also quite neat.

I am already using the Resqtech washer. My review is on the car washer thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhirama (Post 3769998)
Is it fine to clean the car using micro fiber cloth without water?

Ideally you should not. Use a quick detailer in a spray bottle. Spray the QD on a panel and wipe with the microfiber towel. I use ONR for quick detailing.

To elaborate, let us say that I went out for a drive and come back and see dust and grime in the car. Is it fine if I clean the car with a micro fiber cloth without water or should I just dust the car and wait for the weekend wash?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhirama (Post 3771151)
To elaborate, let us say that I went out for a drive and come back and see dust and grime in the car. Is it fine if I clean the car with a micro fiber cloth without water or should I just dust the car and wait for the weekend wash?

Another option is to use something like this

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhirama (Post 3771151)

If it is just the dust (and no stain marks or grime), then a simple dusting job with the likes of Jopasu duster will be fine. However before dusting ensure that there are no water drops or the car is not wet else the duster will simply spread out the stain marks and smudge it all over the place. To clean the grime and stain marks spray some water and then use micro fiber cloth to clean it. Preferably use another micro fiber cloth to dry that area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3771241)
If it is just the dust (and no stain marks or grime), then a simple dusting job with the likes of Jopasu duster will be fine. However before dusting ensure that there are no water drops or the car is not wet else the duster will simply spread out the stain marks and smudge it all over the place. To clean the grime and stain marks spray some water and then use micro fiber cloth to clean it. Preferably use another micro fiber cloth to dry that area.

Jopasu has been delivered today, let me see whether it stands up to it's reputation in the forum :).

One practice that I find helpful is to immediately wash off mud and dust after a drive in muddy / slushy conditions. At that time the mud has usually not dried and it is easy to remove with 2-3 buckets of plain water and a mug / cloth. It saves a huge amount of effort later as well as reduces chances of tiny scratches due to scraping-off the caked mud. The only problem is having the will to go change, clean in the rain, and then clean (self) afterwards!

A stupid question on the idiot's guide, but I just got my first car (Creta, black) last week and it's gotten dirty because of the rain. I have a guy who cleans all my bikes and I do not want him to touch my car. In this case do I clean the car by myself every time it becomes dirty or take it to a carwash (I have 3M close by). Also how frequently would you guys suggest cleaning the car during rains?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokratus (Post 3799540)
A stupid question on the idiot's guide, but I just got my first car (Creta, black) last week and it's gotten dirty because of the rain. I have a guy who cleans all my bikes and I do not want him to touch my car. In this case do I clean the car by myself every time it becomes dirty or take it to a carwash (I have 3M close by). Also how frequently would you guys suggest cleaning the car during rains?

Hey there!

Welcome to Team-Bhp mate! I see this is your first post :)

If you're familiar with washing cars yourself, in a way that does not damage the paint, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't clean it yourself. Please do understand that washing a new car is a tricky thing. Plus, you have a black Creta! So, when others are washing their cars with 100% care & attention, you need to ensure that you give it 200%! Taking your new car to a carwash is fine as well, as long as the car wash is reliable & trustworthy, and does not use ancient rags & dirty cloths for washing & wiping. I believe 3M folks will take care of your car the way it is supposed to be taken care of. Though, please do check for reviews before you go.

I don't recommend washing the car very frequently during rains. Simply because every time it rains, your car will get dirty. Then you clean it, and then it rains again, and the vicious cycle continues. So, if your car is dirty from rains, and it doesn't look like rains will stop soon, don't bother getting it washed every time. It'll only add to your frustration. Instead, wait for a few days, let the weather clear up, then get your precious car washed.

Happy washing! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourav9385 (Post 3800152)
Hey there!

Welcome to Team-Bhp mate! I see this is your first post :)

Thanks a lot! I just visited 3M here in Viman Nagar, Pune. Apparently they require appointments on weekends because of the obvious weekend rush. So I bought few microfiber cloth and now going to just give it was wash with plain water.

Just wanted to ask what kind of soaps are allowed if I want to use one?

Cheers!