Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 14:21   #136
BHPian

Re: Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Don't eat in your car & don't treat the interiors or boot like an attic. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. While on it, remember to clean the boot (and bonnet area) ever so often. This was my interior after 60,000 kms.
Wow GTO - how did you manage to keep the beige interior so clean??

I have seen what can happen to the new Endeavour's beige leather interior - and even my dark gray leather Dicor's seats show dirt which is *very* difficult to remove.

I just think that having a black interior is way more time-effective than having to clean the interior all the time...
Old 21st February 2016, 16:40   #137
BHPian

A simple yet effective technique I use to keep my 10 year old Getz's dashboard shining is olive oil. I have tried numerous dashboard liquids but none of them work. Olive oil works splendidly and lasts a solid month or two depending on how much you enjoy bangalore's polluted air. I just spray a little and work my way around with a microfiber, works wonders!
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:26   #138
Senior - BHPian

Friends today morning I washed my Orange Tank and then tried the Jopasu spray wax on slightly wet surface as per the instructions. The spray has a sweet smell and after spraying it becomes thick wax like. The first wipe with microfibre cloth makes the paint look dull. Then I had to wipe it clean with another dry microfibre cloth. The more you wipe the more shinny the surface appears. It brings back the gloss to the paint, almost showroom like condition. I did the bonnet first and the results were stunning. Look at the pictures below to believe yourself. I would strongly recommend this product to everyone who want to keep their car in showroom condition.

Jopasu Spray Wax Dispenser with free micro fibre cloth whorth Rs 199 was brought from a shop named Shree Ashtavinayak enterprises, Rasta Peth, Pune. The MRP on the box packing was Rs 499/-, however I had to pay Rs 350/- only.

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160221_090712.jpg

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160221_090649.jpg

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160220_201749.jpg

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20160220_201845.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st February 2016 at 20:29.
AutoIndian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:19   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
Any recommendation to remove carbon from the wheels and the exhaust pipe.
Mild solution of degreaser. Check if you can get your hands on Engine/Wheel degreaser. Works like charm if you allow a weak solution of it to soak for a minute or two and then use plastic brush to rub off. Did that this weekend and happy with outcome.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:07   #140
BHPian

Guys, I need your advice, not sure whether this was already answered:
My front windshield is fitted with 3M CR 70 sun protection film. Can I use windshield / glass cleaning solution (3M equivalent) on the film to clean it? O course I will be using micro fiber cloth for ding that.
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:06   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Guys, I need your advice, not sure whether this was already answered:
My front windshield is fitted with 3M CR 70 sun protection film. Can I use windshield / glass cleaning solution (3M equivalent) on the film to clean it? O course I will be using micro fiber cloth for ding that.
Wouldn't the film be pasted on the inside (cabin side) instead of outside !!!

If its inside, you are free to rule the world, but if its on the outside, its better to use mild solution of all windshield cleaners.

It will surely be installed on the cabin side. Check again.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:49   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Wouldn't the film be pasted on the inside (cabin side) instead of outside !!!

If its inside, you are free to rule the world, but if its on the outside, its better to use mild solution of all windshield cleaners.

It will surely be installed on the cabin side. Check again.
Thanks. Of course it's installed inside, but lot of hand marks by the little one plus drop marks inside after the car was given for wash. I'm bit skeptical to wipe inside with micro fiber cloth with solution inside, hence the query.
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:10   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Thanks. Of course it's installed inside, but lot of hand marks by the little one plus drop marks inside after the car was given for wash. I'm bit skeptical to wipe inside with micro fiber cloth with solution inside, hence the query.
Mild solution of general purpose cleaner will solve your problem. I too have this issue and purpetrator is my wife, I use Luxor's nano clean solution to keep it smudge free. Use soft cotton cloth if you are apprehensive, it will not hurt to use microfiber cloth inside cabin. It will help in lint free cleaning.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:37   #144
BHPian

Here's my funda for keeping my ride sparking clean:

Tools of the trade:

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-onrww500x500.jpg

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-sprayer_kissan_1_5_lrg.jpg
  1. Dust the car with Jopasu Duster
  2. Dilute Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax to a ratio of 1:250 into one of those pressure spray bottles. I make 1.5L of ONR - so that's ~ 5ml ONR with 1.5L water.
  3. In another small bucket/tub, prepare another ONR solution of ~ 250ml (which is 1ml of ONR liquid).
  4. Prep the sprayer by building pressure and pumping it.
  5. Spray a fine coat of ONR over the car (one panel at a time). Leave it on for a couple of minutes.
  6. Use a MF cloth dipped in the ONR Solution Tub and wipe over the sprayed panel - the spray acts as a dust emulsifier while the (dripping) wet MF acts as a lubricant to sweep off the dirt particles from the panel without leaving scratches or swirls.
  7. Take a clean dry MF towel (~ 300GSM quality) and wipe the leftover ONR over the panel
  8. Buff the panel with a clean DRY MF Towel (this is a bigger towel ~ 550GSM quality) and make sure not even a single droplet of ONR is left on the panel
  9. Repeat for all the panels
  10. Do the Glass panels
  11. Do the Tyres/Rims

Takes me 45 minutes to get the car from a hopelessly dirty, dusty one to a sparkling showroom condition finish. Here's the finished surface - the photo angles aren't very great but the reflections on the wall/roof panel indicate the finish quality.

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20151212_140019-large.jpg

Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny-img_20151212_140104-large.jpg

Some basics I ensure:
  • Park in shade - never wash in sunlight
  • Go from Top to the Bottom
  • Use a different MF cloth for each panel (or each side if the panel is relatively clean)
  • Mandatorily use a different MF for the side skirting / underbody below the doors - on each side!
  • Use different grades of MF cloth for different panels / tasks.

Last edited by vsathyap : 23rd February 2016 at 15:47.
vsathyap is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:35   #145
BHPian

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax is good for white cars too? I want a nice gloss on my pearl white i20.
Thanks.
Old 16th March 2016, 20:10   #146
BHPian

I have a couple of basic questions. (wrt to creta silver)
1. I bought a 3m micro fibre cloth. Its a very small one. Is that normal? I mean, can it used for body cleaning
2. I bought 3m car care shampoo too. Our driver says, we should not use since it will spoil something. Is that true?. anyways, how often should we use shampoo?
Old 17th March 2016, 11:40   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
A simple yet effective technique I use to keep my 10 year old Getz's dashboard shining is olive oil. I have tried numerous dashboard liquids but none of them work. Olive oil works splendidly and lasts a solid month or two depending on how much you enjoy bangalore's polluted air. I just spray a little and work my way around with a microfiber, works wonders!
Great idea and I will follow the same considering all the unknown chemicals which are added to all these car waxes and other products. I try to avoid as many chemicals as I can in my car because some of them contain known carcinogen.
Old 31st March 2016, 13:16   #148
BHPian

Hi All,

I have Rapid is pearl grey color with black roof. It stays outside in sun all the time, how can I maintain the paint shine and quality over time?

Is there any paint protector I can get done?

Thanks!
Old 12th May 2016, 11:12   #149
BHPian

Recently took delivery of a Polar White Creta Petrol AT :-)

The purchase comes after 6 long years of my previous purchase, the SX4 VVT in 2010 and It's the first time I have purchased a white vehicle

Request guidance on the below:

- Is the 3M Paint Sealant advisable?
- Does the car loose it's sheen post 5-6 months of the treatment?
- Have read somewhere about the adverse impact of these treatments on the original paint in the long run, if you don't repeat these every 6 months. How correct is that?

My previous vehicle (Grey), never went through any treatments, but has retained it's paint and finish till date. There have, however, been technological advancements that might only improve the ownership experience, thus seek guidance please

Last edited by amit_2025 : 12th May 2016 at 11:34.
amit_2025 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 12:31   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Request guidance on the below:

- Is the 3M Paint Sealant advisable?
- Does the car loose it's sheen post 5-6 months of the treatment?
- Have read somewhere about the adverse impact of these treatments on the original paint in the long run, if you don't repeat these every 6 months. How correct is that?

My previous vehicle (Grey), never went through any treatments, but has retained it's paint and finish till date. There have, however, been technological advancements that might only improve the ownership experience, thus seek guidance please
Congrats on your new ride. Here are my suggestions to your questions:

a) The paint sealant does offer a measure of protection to the paint but it does not last more than a few months. I would not do it to a brand new car, but maybe one that's been exposed to the weather a bit after about 1-2 years.

b) One thing to remember, no paint protection or wax treatment is permanent. The effect wears off after a 1.5-3 months depending on the climate, environment, number and method of wash among others. Anybody, especially the 3M chaps, claiming it (or any product) will last for a year is exaggerating.

c) No, i don't believe there's any truth in what you've heard. I've had my car treated to 3M packages twice once in 2011 and more recently in Feb 16.

My car was washed yesterday, nearly three months after the treatment (was very dusty) but the 3M wax was still beading. I go to 3M to save my back the effort of washing and waxing. The car is not washed daily because of the water shortage. Thing to note is the lack of frequent i.e. daily washing helps the wax last longer. Also, the car is washed by me, not some watchman or domestic help as is so common in this country. A Jopasu duster is used to sweep away any dust on the paint and glass. I will now be using a waterless wash formula to keep the car clean. Have also bought a ton of "goodies" from Meguair's and Collinite to keep her nice and shiny.

Other than this thread, you'll get a ton of advice here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-guide.html

Good luck and wish you happy motoring in your new car.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th May 2016 at 12:35. Reason: Typo
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks