Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 17:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As mentioned above, and also as told to my by MASS, you can't separate it. It comes as one piece.

yes, i do understand that.

but when you guys were just saying bearing, i was led to believe that the bearing was available separately. esp when esteemlover said bearing was available from skf and you said it costed rs 550/- from the skf dealer. hence i asked that question.

but as it can be see from the pic , the outer race of the bearing is a part of the hub itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Esteem rear bearing???-front-view.jpg  

Esteem rear bearing???-rear-view.jpg  

Last edited by siddartha : 30th November 2009 at 17:25.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
so this NTN is hub+ bearing or only bearing?
It is the hub + bearing, don't think you can change just the bearing. Just the same as in your pic.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It is the hub + bearing, don't think you can change just the bearing. Just the same as in your pic.
@John: This is a useful piece of information. However, if the hub + bearing have to be bought together, does the bearing dealer sell it along with the hub then ?
Old 30th November 2009, 18:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@John: This is a useful piece of information. However, if the hub + bearing have to be bought together, does the bearing dealer sell it along with the hub then ?

the hub and the bearing is one unit. as seen in the pic the hub is a part of the bearing / the bearing is a part of the hub.

For me the confusion started as explained in my previous post.

so whether its a bearing dealer or the service center you are getting the same single unit.

so if you ask for hub you will get a bearing for free and if you ask for a bearing you will get a hub for free.
Old 30th November 2009, 19:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bhogalrajnish,

first be sure if it is the bearing noise only. Bearing noise is less throttle sensitive and occurs at a wide speed range. Bad cases of faulty bearing can be detected from walking speeds building up in pitch as speed increases and is not affected by changing from drive to coast condition. A rear wheel bearing noise tends to be a low pitched grumble which can normally be detected when driving on a smooth road at constant speed with the noise most audible when swerving sharply from left to right or vice verse. I

f the noise increases during this then your wheel bearing is faulty, you can further check this out by driving close to a curb to gauge the noise coming from the wheels. Similarly, there are checks for differential bearing and pinion bearing noise.
Old 1st December 2009, 13:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
yes, i do understand that.

but when you guys were just saying bearing, i was led to believe that the bearing was available separately. esp when esteemlover said bearing was available from skf and you said it costed rs 550/- from the skf dealer. hence i asked that question.

but as it can be see from the pic , the outer race of the bearing is a part of the hub itself.
Thanks for posting a pic. Yes, prices seem to vary widely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear Bhogalrajnish,

first be sure if it is the bearing noise only. Bearing noise is less throttle sensitive and occurs at a wide speed range. Bad cases of faulty bearing can be detected from walking speeds building up in pitch as speed increases and is not affected by changing from drive to coast condition. A rear wheel bearing noise tends to be a low pitched grumble which can normally be detected when driving on a smooth road at constant speed with the noise most audible when swerving sharply from left to right or vice verse. I

f the noise increases during this then your wheel bearing is faulty, you can further check this out by driving close to a curb to gauge the noise coming from the wheels. Similarly, there are checks for differential bearing and pinion bearing noise.
Any ideas on how to check which rear bearing is worn? MASS is telling me both the rear bearings need replacement. Its a bit difficult to imagine both bearings failing together. Would worn bearings cause wheel wobble?

Would the wheels need to be aligned again after changing the bearings? MASS supervisor said there is no need.
Old 1st December 2009, 15:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have replaced all wheel bearings but at different times in esteem and baleno. it is a separate part. any good local mechanic will do it for you, he takes it to the lathe guy who removes the press fit bearing. good ones are for about 1k each for rear. lather guy took 200 and my mechanic took 200 for a pair of rear wheels. there was a price difference between front and back but i cant remember which was cheaper.
both can go bad as suggested by MASS. jack up the car release brakes and give it a spin. if the bearing has failed you can make out the grinding noise and also feel it by touching the shock absorber.

Last edited by gigy : 1st December 2009 at 15:21.
Old 1st December 2009, 15:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Price difference between front and rear bearings, as told by the MASS supervisor, is huge! Rear is about 5.5 k and front is about Rs. 900!

But what exactly was done on the lathe??
Old 1st December 2009, 15:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for posting a pic. Yes, prices seem to vary widely...

Any ideas on how to check which rear bearing is worn? MASS is telling me both the rear bearings need replacement. Its a bit difficult to imagine both bearings failing together. Would worn bearings cause wheel wobble?

Would the wheels need to be aligned again after changing the bearings? MASS supervisor said there is no need.
Roll down a flyover with vehicle in neutral and engine on (for safety reasons such as active brakes). you will hear the progressive humming sounds of bearings if the bearings are bad. The walls of the flyover make the sound more pronounced, hence easy to identify.
Bad bearings can also be identified by chewed up tyres leading to wobbling. FAG is a good brand of bearings. I have them in my car.
As for the post replacement alignment, i am not sure.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 1st December 2009, 15:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly in lathe but in the lathe machine shop. the bearing is press fit. i didn't see him doing the removal and installation but he definitely had the tools for it. the last brand of bearings i bought was 'koyo' for baleno fronts. i am trying to remember the rear ones. had replaced all at 57k. and fronts again at 61k due rain water damage. now she has done 98k.

Last edited by gigy : 1st December 2009 at 15:34.
Old 1st December 2009, 15:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Price difference between front and rear bearings, as told by the MASS supervisor, is huge! Rear is about 5.5 k and front is about Rs. 900!

But what exactly was done on the lathe??
yes, even i remember being told once that the rear bearings come with hubs or such things - hence they are a lot more expensive.
Old 1st December 2009, 15:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Correction from my side.
The rear is a complete unit only the front bearing can be removed/replaced separately. but the price is still 1.3k each for rear if done out of MASS. there is made in India also in market now.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Correction from my side.
The rear is a complete unit only the front bearing can be removed/replaced separately. but the price is still 1.3k each for rear if done out of MASS. there is made in India also in market now.
the NTN's are 1.3k each when bought in the aftermarket - i believe the SGP ones are also NTN - and quality is also the same ! my friendly neighborhood MASS recommended the aftermarket ones(however they wouldn't source the same - you have to go and buy them and give it to the MASS) and are known to last as long as the SGPs .

The Made in india ones are made by NBC(i think) - they are cheaper but don't know how good/bad they are the NTNs @ 1.3k a peice(bought on JC road) are of very good quality and dont burn a hole in your pocket You _do_ get the bearing seperately too in case you are interested - but you'd have to go to a workshop to remove the old bearing and fit the new one in the hub - and the success of the change would depend entirely on the workshop !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 1st December 2009 at 20:44.
Old 1st December 2009, 21:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Any idea about the quality of SKF and FAG?
Old 4th December 2009, 20:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Went to the SKF stockist all the way, to be told that SKF does not sell the rear bearings for Esteem for the aftermarket!! Phoooooooooey!! The guy was actually quite helpful and friendly, but I still wasted a trip...

He directed me to a FAG stockist who checked his chart and came up with a bearing costing Rs. 170 something. It was just the outer races and inner bearings. No hub or anything. So this obviously is not what I need... in spite of the FAG chart showing that it is the correct part!! My guess is that this is the bearing without the hub. No use to me, as I don't want to risk any lathe job at unknown workshops.

Inquired at another dealer in Nana Peth, and told he has NMB bearings for Rs. 750. Never heard of NMB bearings. Anybody has any idea about the quality? I asked him if it was made in India... he said yes, but the guy did not sound knowledgeable. Was probably a helper/servent. So maybe they are imported.

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th December 2009 at 20:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks