Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 11:23   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-20.jpg

NOTE: I have verified the service records & official email communication in reference to this car.

• Customer bought the 640d for Rs. 1.25 crores. He's a return customer of BMW (rides include an X6 M & 740Li).

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-3.jpg

• I decoded the 640d's VIN online. Interestingly, though he bought the car in December 2014, its manufacturing date is November 2011 . Meaning, he's been sold a 3 year old car!! Note: The 640d is imported as a CBU. I wish more people would use the Team-BHP PDI checklist - Link (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List). Please follow it to the T, whether you're buying a Nano or a Rolls Royce.

• Dealership is Platino Classic. Dealer has been in the news for all the wrong reasons - Related Thread.

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-4a.jpg

• The sales certificate also mentions that the manufacturing date is November 2011!

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-4b.jpg

• The car has been driven for just under 4,000 kms in 6 months. Engine stalls on Kerala highway without warning. Refuses to start again.

• Car towed to dealer. The dealer dismantles & removes the engine without taking prior permission from the owner!

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-5.jpg

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-6.jpg

• Dealer confirms that the 'engine lubrication system was reset' before delivery was given. Owner wasn't notified of this at the time of delivery; it only came up after his engine seized.

• Owner brought this matter to the notice of BMW Germany.

• BMW approved a full engine replacement. The Director of After-Sales (BMW India) was looking into the matter. BMW also provided him with an X3 loaner while the 640d was off the road.

• I have no doubt in my mind that the car lying around with the dealer had something to do with the engine failure. Cars aren't meant to be standing in a stockyard for 3 years. Plus, there's the chance of damage from the elements (weather, rodents) and joyrides too.

• As a sweetener, BMW offered a refund on what he's paid for the 5 year BSI package (Rs. 6.61 lakh) and continue the coverage for free. BMW offered him a brand new set of custom wheels (accessory) as well.

• The shocker: Even after the engine was replaced & car returned to the customer (10th July 2015), new problems surfaced. There is excessive engine vibration and a warning on the MID stating that the 'engine oil level is excessive'. The electronics are messed up (e.g. headlamp washers pop out randomly & splash water). These are complex cars - there is no way an engine install at the dealer level will ever match up to factory standards.

• Owner wants a full refund. My opinion? The customer is entitled to it. He's paid a whopping 1.25 crores for the car! He deserves a brand-new 640d as a replacement. He hasn't paid top rupee for a car with such severe defects.

BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d-21.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2015 at 11:45.
GTO is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 11:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 640d: Severe Engine failure in only 4,000 kms! Engine swapped by dealer, new problems surfac

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Technical Stuff!
Old 15th July 2015, 11:54   #3
BHPian

Re: BMW 640d: Severe Engine failure in only 4,000 kms! Engine swapped by dealer, new problems surfac

Ouch!

The customer most certainly deserves a replacement!

Especially if the car was fobbed off as new to the customer!

As seen from the number of complaints against the dealer, they seem to be past masters at selling off old stocks as new!

How are they still in business?

Last edited by batterylow : 15th July 2015 at 12:00. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 12:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

This is definitely not the first time I'm hearing such complaints about this dealer.

Few things I want to point out. The car was made in late 2011, around the launch of the 640d in India. The price then was 76l ex showroom. The dealer is happily selling it at current prices and giving an 18l discount, and still pocketing over 25l.

I can imagine how irritating it must be to now have niggling issues after a full engine replacement.

A full replacement IMO seems unlikely, but he should certainly get a lot more freebies after the car has been fully fixed. Though who knows, the BMW customer service team is proactive and a refund may happen.
Akshay1234 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 12:53   #5
BHPian

This is ludicrous on the BMW part. The repeat customer deserves better. I support that the customer deserves a brand new car to avoid future hassles.

Having said this, I have a question - Maybe the customer evaluated the risk vs. reward (3 yrs old vs. 18 Lakhs discount) and decided to go ahead with the purchase knowing fully the repercussions? No, I'm not doubting any noble intentions on customer's part, just a thought that came across.

The PDI checklist needs to be followed like a holy book - I have taken a delivery this week and followed what has been written religiously to the irritation of the sales guy. The 19th letter of the VIN could not be provided (which indicates the month of production), so I told the SA as soon as they provide it, cheque will be in their hand for the pending amount.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a very good story to say the least.

When they say
Quote:
Dealer confirms that the 'engine lubrication system was reset' before delivery was given. Owner wasn't notified of this at the time of delivery; it only came up after his engine seized.
what does it mean resetting the lub system??

I'm not so sure that sitting idle for three years would have any deteriorating effect on the oil system as such. On the oil definitely, but in this case I doubt we will ever hear the true story of what was wrong with this engine. Do we know if it stalled or seized?

Must be very frustrating.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 15th July 2015 at 13:44.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a really sad situation. The sadder part is that customer has to fight this out, BMW should be forthcoming and offering a replacement before the customer has to take these extreme measures.

The time and effort required to get justice on such issues turn you away from the brand and no matter what you do that bitter taste remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Few things I want to point out. The car was made in late 2011, around the launch of the 640d in India. The price then was 76l ex showroom. The dealer is happily selling it at current prices and giving an 18l discount, and still pocketing over 25l.
Here I blame the customer to some extent, he ought to have checked the VIN. This is a common cheating practise by dealers. He should have negotiated the price down from 76L as that is price at which the dealer was billed. IMO, he could have got this car for 65 ex-showroom.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Here I blame the customer to some extent, he ought to have checked the VIN. This is a common cheating practise by dealers. He should have negotiated the price down from 76L as that is price at which the dealer was billed. IMO, he could have got this car for 65 ex-showroom.
Yes to some extent. Though I have a feeling the 18l discount offered may have been given to him, being told its an old stock car. But mistake on his end for not negotiating from the price at that time.

Still the engine should not have failed, and he should not have to go through this.

OT - But for this price I would have put in a bit more and got an M4.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 14:23   #9
BHPian

What happened to the new automotive laws Government was keen on introducing to protect consumers? But it would still be out of the "lemon law" period if there wasn't a problem for the first 4 months .

I guess, even if you can afford it - it makes more sense to stick to Indian manufactured cars. Seems that if the potholes don't get you, then a crooked dealer will.
Old 15th July 2015, 14:38   #10
BHPian

Honestly, I am shocked by the fact that BMW hasn't cut the cord on Platino Classic. They have a history of huge frauds and the directors have been jailed for the same before.

BMW was offering a 530D to me at the price of a 520. They stated that it was a 8 month old car. However on checking the VIN, I found that it was a 2 year old car. This instance instantly made me run away from the brand. Aspects such as prepaid service packages rely on the trust that the dealer is not fraudulent, and I didn't want to take a risk.

BMW needs to tighten its belt cause such instances are occurring way too often. The fall from 1st to 3rd was abrupt for BMW and the reasons are rather evident.

A car replacement is a must, and should be done. I am expecting BMW to take strict, and instant action.
prakhar1998 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:08   #11
BHPian

Shocking !!! What was the delivery mileage ?? Opting to buy a 3 year old car rotting at a stock yard is a risky move, whether its an Alto or a 6 series. Moreover, stock yards in India are normally just an open field...not sure if dealers for big brands have better infrastructure.

Last edited by Ash_vtec : 15th July 2015 at 15:13. Reason: Found what i was looking for in the above posts
Old 15th July 2015, 15:26   #12
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2015 at 15:27.
Merc_lover666 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th July 2015, 15:39   #13
BHPian

I cannot digest what I have just read !!
Its daylight robbery. Selling a 2011 car in 2014 and then offering a discount.

The owner too made a mistake by not checking the VIN. Also, if you see the Sale Certificate, it clearly reads November 2011 as Month and Year of Manufacture. At least here the owner should have raised an alarm.

GTO Sir, you are absolutely correct in stating that there is no way that a dealer can install a new engine with the finesse level of a factory fitment. But why should the owner settle for a refund or a new car, why can't the owner take them to Consumer Court?

Are there any lawyers here listening to me?
drive2eternity is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:39   #14
BANNED

The said dealer had run into trouble with TATA motors due to irregularities while having a dealership at Calicut. Both are shady guys, with political clout, so nothing is gonna happen. But that doesn't absolve BMW off its responsibility. 1.25 crores is peanuts when compared to the damage it is gonna cause in this era of social media. Time is money, the earlier you stop this from spreading the better. I don't understand why BMW is going all out to protect such a scrupulous dealer.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:46   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO - What you have reported is it the full story? For instance even without VIN check the sale certificate itself says date of manufacture as Nov 2011. So how was customer not aware of this? If the car is leased from BMW Finance then best is to dump it back at them and ask for replacement.

That said it is indeed a bad experience for a customer to get a lemon.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks