Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2015, 22:07   #1

Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?

Does Hyundai supply this pin separately? Everytime Teflon tape has to be used on the Caliper pin. Checked with mobis as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?-1437237351992.jpg  

Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?-1437237376729.jpg  

Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?-1437237389508.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2015 at 11:24. Reason: Fixed a lot of grammatical errors, kindly proof read before posting. Thanks
Shivubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 22:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?

Hi, Kindly post some more details on which car, what variant, which year, more about exact issue faced.. Without the details BHPians can be of little help.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 07:22   #3

It is a 2008 Hyundai i10 Magna irde
If this Caliber Pin is not replaced or rewounded, car makes a rattling noise at low speed or over hump. Dealer says only PIN cannot be bought and entire Caliper assembly has to be bought which sounds weird. Any comments?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th July 2015 at 08:23. Reason: Please avoid posting with unnecessary dots. Post has been edited this time to correct this.
Shivubs is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2015, 09:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivubs View Post
If this Caliber Pin is not replaced or rewounded, car makes a rattling noise at low speed or over hump. Dealer says only PIN cannot be bought and entire Caliper assembly has to be bought which sounds weird. Any comments?
That is weird when dealer says that entire caliper assembly has to be replaced!
I did got caliper pin on my Santro replaced at a Hyundai dealer. If I remember correctly around 1K was the cost.

Try some other dealer.

Also, try to see if caliper pin alone will resolve the issue. Sometimes, it happens that hole in caliper becomes too big for a proper fit, even for the new pin.
vaasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 11:07   #5

Vaasu...Nice comments. Now here is the thing, even if you have replaced the pin on Santro for 1k. Please check because 1k is too much for a PIN. Also for my i10, it costs 2.5K for the assembly including PIN. The holder diameter getting bigger is a valid point, but I don't think that's an issue. Will have to try another dealer though.

Skeptical if the price comes down.

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2015 at 11:25. Reason: Typos
Shivubs is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2015, 13:51   #6
BHPian

The Pin should be a serviceable part, albeit with lesser frequency. So maybe there isn't enough stock with the dealer. Moreover, for Hyundai too, this should be a sub-assembly from its suppliers (brake caliper, disc rotor etc). So getting a pin may be difficult, but not impossible. I suggest, please write to dealer authorities first and then to the Hyundai Office if required.

Regards,

Samish

P. S. :The pin also comes with a Split pin to hold it in place.
samish_g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 14:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check this: http://www.99rpm.com/hyundai/front-brakes-i10.html

The pin alone costs Rs. 154, the caliper set Rs. 2,338. Its not surprising that the dealer is trying to con you into replacing the entire kit.

EDIT: You're in Bangalore, reach out to these MOBIS centers to buy it yourself: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

Last edited by arunphilip : 19th July 2015 at 14:57.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 14:56   #8
BHPian

The easiest method is to hand them over to a machine shop and ask them to give it a teflon bushing. All you need to do is to give them specifications or a sample of a good pin to match it to. once that's done, you are sorted.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 17:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Check this: http://www.99rpm.com/hyundai/front-brakes-i10.html

The pin alone costs Rs. 154, the caliper set Rs. 2,338. Its not surprising that the dealer is trying to con you into replacing the entire kit.

EDIT: You're in Bangalore, reach out to these MOBIS centers to buy it yourself: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html
Thanks to everyone who posted here!

Have the same problem on my AStar. Started after I got the car back from the MASS. I went back to them and they 'fixed' it - but only temporarily. The service advisor said the caliper pins had to be greased. After reading this, it looks like they swapped out my good pins and put in someone else's worn ones. The greasing fixes the rattle temporarily, so they are off the hook when I test the car. [How many ways can I cheat thee - let me count the ways...]
Old 19th July 2015, 19:26   #10
BHPian

Hi Shivubs, I had the same problem with my i20 just a couple of months ago. My FNG guy initially replaced the caliper pin and charged me Rs 400 for it. The car ran smoothly for a couple of weeks after which the noise returned. Upon reexamination he said that the caliper had developed a "play" due to which replacing the pin again wont solve the problem and the entire caliper would have to be replaced. To double check, I then went to the Hyundai service station who also said that the entire caliper had to be replaced. Got it done from them for Rs 3600 (caliper, service charge, taxes and brake fluid charge all incl.). The car has been running fine since then (fingers crossed).
Old 20th July 2015, 09:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too faced a similar situation in my santro. Whenever the car went on a rough surface, I could hear a light rumbling noise coming from the wheel
When i gave the car to the ASS, the person there put a Teflon tape around the calliper pin along with greasing the same. The noise was then not to be heard
Old 20th July 2015, 10:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Vaasu...Nice comments. Now here is the thing, even if you have replaced the pin on santro for 1k. Please check because 1k is too much for a PIN. Also for my i10 it costs 2.5K for the assembly including PIN.. Also abt PIN holder diameter getting bigger - valid point but don't think that's an issue .Will have to try another dealer though.

Skeptical if the price comes down.
Both caliper pins were replaced on my car and it includes the labor charges as well. Sorry, I do not have the exact breakup.

Another workaround some people use is to take the existing caliper pin to lathe and get it to match the existing caliper hole diameter.
Old 20th July 2015, 10:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As a safety precaution to prevent the pre-mature wearing of caliper pins, grease the caliper pin every 6 months. The main cause for the caliper pins to wear out is the lithium grease drying out. This is not a problem if you service the car every 6 months since caliper greasing is always done during every service. But if you are following 1 year service interval , get the pins cleaned and greased after 6 months. Will save a lot of headache later on.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 20:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
The easiest method is to hand them over to a machine shop and ask them to give it a teflon bushing. All you need to do is to give them specifications or a sample of a good pin to match it to. once that's done, you are sorted.

What is mean by Teflon bushing? Is it any kind of machining method or a way to asses the size of the pin?
Old 4th March 2016, 18:06   #15
BHPian

Re: Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?

Has anybody sourced Lithium grease here in India. My MASS uses ordinary grease that dries out in no time. They have not even heard of caliper grease. I would like to keep a jar myself and ask them to use it when they service the car. Have not been able to locate any source. If anyone has procured please let us know the source.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks