Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2006, 16:27   #1

i ve a 2001 model honda city vtec which seems 2 have some sort of problem,the car often jerks forward in the 1st and the 2nd gears,even if i release the clutch slowly it jerks forward.i ve took the car 2 the dealer,he told its normal with vtec,how 2 rectify the problem...and suggest me a good tuner in chennai.....thank u......
Old 1st September 2006, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

The dealer is correct the jerking at low-speeds is a common trait of all OHC VTEC's. It can't be completely rectified so you have to just learn to adjust to it.

As for the tuner I think one of the Chennai boys will be able to advise you better.
Old 1st September 2006, 17:51   #3
BHPian

Yes, as iraghava says I have heard it to be congenital. I'm experienceing this on my 2nd hand one. have learnt to live with it and hide it to an extent i dont look like a novice on the road.

I have come across some write ups in this forum and on internet that a ECM upgrade will set this right. I have no idea how true... can anyone who has done this post here please.
Old 1st September 2006, 17:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer is correct the jerking at low-speeds is a common trait of all OHC VTEC's.
Not on all, Post-September 2002 Vtecs had a remapped ECM which took care of this problem. My Vtec (2003 build) has absolutely no jerking at all.
Old 1st September 2006, 17:59   #5
BHPian

GTO, do you know where I can get this done?

Any issues expected after that?
Old 1st September 2006, 18:07   #6
BHPian

is it a single owner driven car?
Old 1st September 2006, 18:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

What fuel are you using? Try IOC 91. The jerking wont vanish (unless you get the ecu remapped) but it reduces with higher octane.

I don't experience jerking in my car bcoz i've altered my driving style, as per the car (or maybe i've just got used to it and don't realise it).

Anyway, this jerking wont harm your engine in anyway and my car still feels awesomely quick.

Shan2nu
Old 1st September 2006, 18:19   #8
BHPian

Shan2nu

'was using speed 93, switched over to IOC 91 lately, but the jerking still is obvious,... i understand there is no performance drop, and the car is quick indeed, but i sometimes come across this jerking when i go very slow... (no no no ...) it is not that learner driver syndrome.

but u know it is just there.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2006 at 09:43.
Old 27th September 2006, 03:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

High octane fuel does help to a certain extent but wouldnt be enough. My car also had the same problem but after I got my custom headers done for low end torque the knocking has almost vanished. I use speed super unleaded. The fuel and header combo works like a miracle! I drive 40kms minimum on a week day hence I had to do it.

Another option you have is get an after market ECU, lots of them available these days...more power and zero knocking!!!
Old 27th September 2006, 03:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

The solution is to upload the updated software into the ECM, but I dont know if the dealers are capable of handling this.

Over in the states, lots of times a customer will get called in to install a software update to the ECM.

Jerking happens only a low rpms and low throttle. If you keep the engine on the boil it should be fine.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi R*alert, I had Pm'd a workshop. You can try with them.

Also you can check with Sundaram Honda, but be prepared for a bigggggggg bill from them.
Old 27th September 2006, 11:01   #12
BHPian

I have a similar problem with jerking , but have learnt to live with it , however off late it seems to have increased and the engine malfunction light has come on as well.The car was serviced less than a 1000 Kms back and the injectors were cleaned , can anybody suggest what could have caused this light to come on ??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Tks
Old 27th September 2006, 13:22   #13
BHPian

I tried started a thread sometime back for this very problem on this forum but it didn't show up.
A few days back I mailed Honda India to know if any upgrade or patch is available for the jerky nature at low rpm. Dakshin Honda (B'Lore) did contact me on the same but were unable to give a proper answer.
Anyway now someone from Honda is likely to get in touch with me (Dakshin said so!). Once I talk to them I post their response here.
Old 27th September 2006, 14:21   #14
BHPian

may be bosch centers in bangalore can give the solution.. but will take atleast sometime (like couple of months) before they are out with the ECM & the computer for all vehicles.
Old 1st October 2006, 13:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

honda ecu's are built by keihin so i doubt bosch will help out, the best option and cheapest is to get someone from thailand to get you a newer ecu, costs about 4k thats about it, heres the model number if youre interested.

Indian:
37820-PJT-E01
7M 1346-201049

Thai:
37820-PJT-T01
43 1340-101245

37820 is a code for honda
PJT - is type of car here its the Honda B15C2
E01 or T01 - Country code E is india, T is thailand

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com